North Carolina
✟4,331.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
For people like myself, the title of this post (made in reference to a subreddit) isn't entirely a joke. Nature is brutal. It's violent. Some parts of it are capable of destruction on a scale that makes the largest hydrogen bomb ever detonated look like a firecracker.

This really isn't a post for Young Earth Creationists, although their input is welcome. Their explanation for this is a foregone conclusion, but their ability to enjoy such events (when they occur in situations not involving human beings) is something that I'm interesting in. Primarily, this is a post for theistic evolutionists and Old Earth Creationists. Why does God choose to create these destructive things? Does he enjoy witnessing them, even as a good being (I'm a good person, but a nice display of volcanic lightning has a certain appeal). Is there some other reason, in your estimation, for their creation?

All feedback is welcome, of course.

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,007.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
For people like myself, the title of this post (made in reference to a subreddit) isn't entirely a joke. Nature is brutal. It's violent. Some parts of it are capable of destruction on a scale that makes the largest hydrogen bomb ever detonated look like a firecracker.

This really isn't a post for Young Earth Creationists, although their input is welcome. Their explanation for this is a foregone conclusion, but their ability to enjoy such events (when they occur in situations not involving human beings) is something that I'm interesting in. Primarily, this is a post for theistic evolutionists and Old Earth Creationists. Why does God choose to create these destructive things? Does he enjoy witnessing them, even as a good being (I'm a good person, but a nice display of volcanic lightning has a certain appeal). Is there some other reason, in your estimation, for their creation?

Do you mean nature is mental?

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,007.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Ah just found the reddit, so the title is correct, apologies.

Upvote 0

Willis Gravning

St. Francis of Assisi
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2015
Sioux Falls, SD
✟99,367.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Nature seems more like a symphony to me. There are moments of dissonance, sometimes terrible ones, but in the end I think harmony will prevail.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Page

White Lives Matter! ALL Lives Matter!
Sep 22, 2015
✟952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nature is also God's creation of course. I'm not a new earther by any stretch. However, I think nature is God's way of having something installed that is able to humble us when we're prone to our hubris that thinks we have dominion over all things.

Nature is God's ego check. Even the properties of an atomic bomb are proof of Genesis 1:1. In the beginning....

When all things are made of atoms, split one and God is there. Reminding us no matter what we build he can take it down in a cloud that mushrooms toward Heaven and all that is in its shadow is destroyed, vaporized. Only to later, much , much, later, begin again.

HhTXt43pk1I1W.gif

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0