Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As temperatures dropped below zero on South Dakota’s Pine Ridge Indian Reservation earlier this month, one young girl felt she had had enough.

She was tired of feeling cold inside her home as temperatures plummeted, which they do often there. She had enough of watching her parents constantly struggle to scrounge up wood to heat the house.

Native Americans Who Can't Afford Heat Take Desperate Measures To Stay Warm

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As temperatures dropped below zero on South Dakota’s Pine Ridge Indian Reservation earlier this month, one young girl felt she had had enough.

She was tired of feeling cold inside her home as temperatures plummeted, which they do often there. She had enough of watching her parents constantly struggle to scrounge up wood to heat the house.

Thank you for posting this article, John. I appreciate you bringing attention to the frightening rate of suicide among Native American youth. The suicide rate is among native youth is staggering. I talk more extensively about this tragic issue and the intergenerational traumatic effects behind it in one of my previous posts, located here in another thread. Stories like this break my heart. Thank you again for bringing attention to this issue. I'm tagging my friend @tadoflamb, so he can read your thread too.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟489,024.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You see the US spends 581 billion USDOLLAR in 2014 for military, its enough to feed all the starving people of the world who lives in such a cruel weather.
Once the poor are fed and warm, they start to get ideas.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟489,024.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What ideas ?
Well, how to climb the next rung of Maslow's pyramid, mostly. Once they no longer have to fight to survive, they will want security and prestige.

maslow.jpg

• Agree
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, how to climb the next rung of Maslow's pyramid, mostly. Once they no longer have to fight to survive, they will want security and prestige.

Native Americans have always had to fight to survive in America, Nithavela. And the sad truth is, Native Americans are still fighting to protect their tribal lands from being forcibly taken by the U.S. government today. Remember Standing Rock? The fight to survival isn't just about protecting our tribal lands though. It also includes the fight to protecting our culture and heritage from the rippling effects of cultural genocide and the racist stereotypes of Indian caricatures (Indian sports mascots).

• Agree
Upvote 0

HannahT

Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟458,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That's awful!

I know we have a program here that pays the bills for heating for the low income. I guess that is a state program and not a federal one.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You see the US spends 581 billion USDOLLAR in 2014 for military, its enough to feed all the starving people of the world who lives in such a cruel weather.

Why is it not the responsibility of the government of China to feed all the cold, starving people in China? Why is it not the responsibility of the government of France, or India, or the United Kingdom, to feed all of the cold, starving people in France, India, or the United Kingdom? Why is only the United States to blame?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟260,424.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Why is it not the responsibility of the government of China to feed all the cold, starving people in China? Why is it not the responsibility of the government of France, or India, or the United Kingdom, to feed all of the cold, starving people in France, India, or the United Kingdom? Why is only the United States to blame?

deflection much wow.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And the sad truth is, Native Americans are still fighting to protect their tribal lands from being forcibly taken by the U.S. government today. Remember Standing Rock?

Except at Standing Rock the pipeline did not cross into or under tribal lands.

The fight to survival isn't just about protecting our tribal lands though. It also includes the fight to protecting our culture and heritage from the rippling effects of cultural genocide and the racist stereotypes of Indian caricatures (Indian sports mascots).

As a matter of history federal American Indian policy, as first acceded to by Presidents Johnson and Nixon, became founded upon the principal of self-determination. This ideal was advocated for by activist during the sixties and seventies and meant from that point forward the tribes and tribal leaders were allowed to set the policies which governed the future of Native American Indians. This policy enactment transferred to government the power and responsibilities which prior were in the purview of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

This is all discussed in great detail in the book "Taking Charge: Native American Self-Determination and Federal Indian Policy, 1975-1993," written by George Castile.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟458,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
when a question is an obvious deflection there is no point in answering it.

(Shrugs) I don't know. The article speaks about heat, and someone posts a chart about military spending and comments about feeding the world.

I don't get the connection there at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sistrin

Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
when a question is an obvious deflection there is no point in answering it.

Then take your grief up with the guy who posted the military spending pie chart. I was responding to that post, not you, and if you are unable to understand why such response is valid then there is nothing I can do to help you.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(Shrugs) I don't know. The article speaks about heat, and someone posts a chart about military spending and comments about feeding the world.

I don't get the connection there at all.

The article addresses about the suicide rate among Native American youth, because of the lack of heat and extremely impoverished third world living conditions on the Pine Ridge Reservation. I believe the connection was the United States of America spends more money on its warmongering expenditures than it does helping to take care of the poor people living within its borders. But then again, Native Americans have always been an expendable people and treated like second class citizens.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except at Standing Rock the pipeline did not cross into or under tribal lands.

This map of the Dakota Access Pipeline clearly shows that the pipeline was built on Sioux tribal land, which is protected by the 1851 Fort Laramie Treaty. So yes, the pipeline does cross into tribal lands.

daplmap-png.189575

Further information about DAPL being built on Sioux protected tribal land:

Pipeline route plan first called for crossing north of Bismarck

Audio: Tribe objected to pipeline nearly 2 years before lawsuit

Audio shows Standing Rock Sioux tribe objected to pipeline two years ago

As a matter of history federal American Indian policy, as first acceded to by Presidents Johnson and Nixon, became founded upon the principal of self-determination. This ideal was advocated for by activist during the sixties and seventies and meant from that point forward the tribes and tribal leaders were allowed to set the policies which governed the future of Native American Indians. This policy enactment transferred to government the power and responsibilities which prior were in the purview of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

This is all discussed in great detail in the book "Taking Charge: Native American Self-Determination and Federal Indian Policy, 1975-1993," written by George Castile.

Speaking of book recommendations on Native American history: Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee by Dee Brown and I recommend the movie Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, based on the book.

Upvote 0