Native american christian pow wows?

G

gemstone1

I was just curious if there is a such thing as Native american pow wows with a christian influence. I was searching around the net and found native american dancers who do ministry at pow wows or festivals, (sorry can't remember exactly).

I was wondering if besides the regular pow wows if christian natives have such gatherings anywhere, I am interested in attending if so.

Monsomnee

Dec 17, 2011
✟15,111.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I was just curious if there is a such thing as Native american pow wows with a christian influence. I was searching around the net and found native american dancers who do ministry at pow wows or festivals, (sorry can't remember exactly).

I was wondering if besides the regular pow wows if christian natives have such gatherings anywhere, I am interested in attending if so.

Theres a famous apostle named Paul.

He wrote of how he ministered. Also if you look at Jesus' style. I've never heard of Christian rock but its real?

Paul never offended the greeks. He spoke what God told him too. And found a link rather than an offending difference. And never ever told them they are evil.

Too many non-natives (especially whites) talk trash about my peoples. How dare you judge my pow wows as un Godly. I dont see any life in your churches except for hmmm...sme dancing and singing? We are not led by kings but by chiefs. And your english name for the living Creator's Son? Jesus.....He is"The-One-Who-Saves". Euros took the scrolls and made books. They took it and made their versions. In it you talk about Kings. That is fine. But we never have a "King" we have Chiefs. And He is the Chief of Chiefs. Our version "brother". Furthermore, you speak from a heart of judgement and ignorance. It is disrespectful to my peoples and that is why we dont want you at our pow wows..the Reborn ones or our regulars.

Euros took the name "Jesus" and discreditted it tto my people. It is Savior but they beat us and forced us out of our "savage" clothes and into their plain, colorless clothes.

They continued to break their treaties and by WW1? Wiped out 99.987% of all my people.
I dont think thats "Easily offended". The ones who did it? Pushed the wrong image of "Jesus".

We dont wail and shake when we pray. Its not by might or power...but by the Great Spirit of the Chief The-One-Who-Saves. We speak plainly to the creator. He's not deaf.

We dont advertise to the world our activities. We do not need to be judged and with your attitude and quick tongue/fingers? You and your ilk are never welcome.

They take our lands, disrespect our people continually and push "Miracles" when there are none or very very few. Your churches are full of the flesh and mostly dead. But you must be "Good" Christians right? What would Creator's son think if he walked in and saw the fashion show and atm's and over priced books and cd's? Would it be in context with the money changer tables and over priced sacrifices in His Fathers house?

I should have capitalized the "s" for Son right? Might hurt your feelings.

Upvote 0

Janet842

May 11, 2010
Colorado
✟7,816.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well said Monsomnee. I am "white," but agree with you completely. Churches are dead. Why? Because too many Christians lack faith, repentance, and the desire to completely submit to God. To associate with them makes me feel like I am walking upstream in a downstream world.

Upvote 0
N

NannaNae

Theres a famous apostle named Paul.

He wrote of how he ministered. Also if you look at Jesus' style. I've never heard of Christian rock but its real?

Paul never offended the greeks. He spoke what God told him too. And found a link rather than an offending difference. And never ever told them they are evil.

Too many non-natives (especially whites) talk trash about my peoples. How dare you judge my pow wows as un Godly. I dont see any life in your churches except for hmmm...sme dancing and singing? We are not led by kings but by chiefs. And your english name for the living Creator's Son? Jesus.....He is"The-One-Who-Saves". Euros took the scrolls and made books. They took it and made their versions. In it you talk about Kings. That is fine. But we never have a "King" we have Chiefs. And He is the Chief of Chiefs. Our version "brother". Furthermore, you speak from a heart of judgement and ignorance. It is disrespectful to my peoples and that is why we dont want you at our pow wows..the Reborn ones or our regulars.

Euros took the name "Jesus" and discreditted it tto my people. It is Savior but they beat us and forced us out of our "savage" clothes and into their plain, colorless clothes.

They continued to break their treaties and by WW1? Wiped out 99.987% of all my people.
I dont think thats "Easily offended". The ones who did it? Pushed the wrong image of "Jesus".

We dont wail and shake when we pray. Its not by might or power...but by the Great Spirit of the Chief The-One-Who-Saves. We speak plainly to the creator. He's not deaf.

We dont advertise to the world our activities. We do not need to be judged and with your attitude and quick tongue/fingers? You and your ilk are never welcome.

They take our lands, disrespect our people continually and push "Miracles" when there are none or very very few. Your churches are full of the flesh and mostly dead. But you must be "Good" Christians right? What would Creator's son think if he walked in and saw the fashion show and atm's and over priced books and cd's? Would it be in context with the money changer tables and over priced sacrifices in His Fathers house?

I should have capitalized the "s" for Son right? Might hurt your feelings.

HUM well this is the politically correct version.
But actually many tribes here had "God''s". but we can't talk about that can we?
It doesn't beat up the real christians enough for all the wannabe Christians/ anyone in white culture's and social climbers with an ax to grind or fear mongering in their souls.

Since up till now the only hell that has ever existed is between the right ear and left ear of all of mankind yes every color and culture . Well then salvation means everyone's own personal hell is going to get offended somehow .

Actually when you think about it that is how Jesus saves us. He offends each humans very own hell and death. you are either offended now or later but hell is going to get offended sometime.

If we are not offended, humbled and truly crushed by His truth it ain't His truth.
Because our best or our righteousness, our religiousness , our very best efforts to justify ourselves with our realities is filthy to Him! and He isn't joking about how much he hates it . because our hell will destroy us and he loves us to much to not offend our hell.

There is no nice way for that to be our new reality. but it is the process of death to self , that starts the process of salvation , except that His truth offend the hell that has only ever existed between our right ear and left ear.

The whole of a real disciples of the real Christ's walk and is of one his spirit and all his truths offending us again and again . Anyone bring any real truth will always offend everyones flesh/hell!
That offense/sword is the only way for HIM to overcome the hell between our ears.

The hell between our ears is why He had to built the other place we pretend is "hell". But that one is just to contain that thing we brought to the world .
There is no other way to be saved but hell and death has to be offended !
The only way to be saved is to go through that fire of his presence now in hopes that something else ( not born of hell and death , which is our own minds , our knowledge and justifications) so that something else exists in us worthy of being saved. because it was born of Him and his spirit and his leading and yes his Humbling processes . because it all, I mean everything has to pass through him( the blazing fire ) to be saved.
We should all be very prepared to be Offended and Humbled. well if we want to be his children. Because anything else is just more of the same old hell we and humanity will birth/have birthed into this world !

You see hell never offends anyone, it doesn't have to , it already owns us and it is all ours all by ourselves , and it is comfortable and makes you feel secure even. Oh it is so good at helping us feel justified !

But hell and all it's ways and justifications and everything born from it and in it will be offended someday.
I do pray we all get offended and humbled By His truths now !
and not later !
Because everything will pass through him to become "saved" or it is not and will not be ' saved" !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
But dont pow wows involve pagan practices? Many native American religious groups worshiped nature, which goes against what the Bible teaches.

Native American religious groups? You obviously know nothing about NDN spirituality, which would make sense since you are not an NDN yourself.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Native American religious groups? You obviously know nothing about NDN spirituality, which would make sense since you are not an NDN yourself.

Native American religions are pagan. I know some Native American religious groups are christian (ethnicity doesnt define religion), but Native American spirituality/religion and Christianity are different faith systems.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, you go right ahead and tell yourself that you know better about the spirituality of Native Americans than an actual Native American.

How can a person be Christian and practice a folk/ethnic religion at the same time? This is an honest question-im not trying to argue about it either way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
And for the record, I will not discuss NDN spirituality here in public forum or in private. If you wish you know about it, then you need to ask an NDN elder yourself. However, unless you're an NDN yourself, there's not much of a chance of an elder answering your questions about their own spirituality or that of our ancestors.

Upvote 0
Mar 5, 2017
Phoenix
✟15,740.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Private
But dont pow wows involve pagan practices? Many native American religious groups worshiped nature, which goes against what the Bible teaches.

I know this is years later, but i wanted to touch on this. THere are certain dances in Native culture that are spiritual and some that are social. The one's that are spiritual in indigenous religion definitely do have some unbiblical and sometimes even pagan aspects.

However, the Christian pow wows that are referred to do not use pagan aspects. the people dance in similar ways to pow wows and the music sounds similar as a means of outreach. THe regalia (dance clothing) and the instruments are usually made new and dedicated only to the glory of God and the advancement of the gospel and NOT to any false deity or dark spirit. I hope this answers your question.

I understand this is a controversial issue among Christians of both Native and non-Native American origin. I don't claim to have all the answers, but personally I love Gospel drum music and I love dancing. May Cenhuelitini (The All-Powerful One) pour out wisdom and understanding upon you

Upvote 0
Mar 5, 2017
Phoenix
✟15,740.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Private

I want to answer this by providing a few links to different ministries around the country that use Native style music as part of their worship as well as different music groups on youtube.

Music Store: Music CD's
Flagstaff, AZ Reztoration Ministries (Native American Ministry) – canyon chapel
Phoenix, AZ: Home
Michigan: 4 Fires
Oregon: Wiconi International - Living Waters Family Camp & Powwow

Jesus Is Lord by Broken Walls:

Jesus is THe One By Rainshadow:

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know this is years later, but i wanted to touch on this. THere are certain dances in Native culture that are spiritual and some that are social. The one's that are spiritual in indigenous religion definitely do have some unbiblical and sometimes even pagan aspects.

However, the Christian pow wows that are referred to do not use pagan aspects. the people dance in similar ways to pow wows and the music sounds similar as a means of outreach. THe regalia (dance clothing) and the instruments are usually made new and dedicated only to the glory of God and the advancement of the gospel and NOT to any false deity or dark spirit. I hope this answers your question.

I understand this is a controversial issue among Christians of both Native and non-Native American origin. I don't claim to have all the answers, but personally I love Gospel drum music and I love dancing. May Cenhuelitini (The All-Powerful One) pour out wisdom and understanding upon you

Do you think before missionaries were here, there were natives who believed in the One True God?

Upvote 0