United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Where? Chapter and verse please.

John 21:7. Some versions say that he had removed his outer garment; most say that he was naked or that he had stripped. This was discussed earlier in the thread.

We know from surviving depictions that one fisherman usually stripped naked so taht he could enter the water to handle the nets.

So if you had a 14 year old daughter you wouldn't object to her going topless to the beach since it wouldn't be any different than a young man being topless, correct?

Correct.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If I get married, I would rather my wife-to-be not
show off everything she has, especially at the altar.
So, yes, I appreciate modest Christian women, and
the article is nice.

Is it unbibical to call modesty relative?

Therefore, how do swimsuits, mini-skirts, and skimpy shorts rate according to God's definition of nakedness? Since nakedness is condemned and uncovered loins and thighs constitute nakedness, the wearing of clothes that reveal such parts is sinful.

People would say wearing certain swimsuits is modest, but by non water standards, they arent. How does water change women's modesty?

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Is it unbibical to call modesty relative?

People would say wearing certain swimsuits is modest, but by non water standards, they arent. How does water change women's modesty?

Sam, what do you wear when you take a shower? When you go swimming? Do you dress like you always do or modify it on account of the water?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sam, what do you wear when you take a shower? When you go swimming? Do you dress like you always do or modify it on account of the water?

But don't people use that logic to justify other types of clothing. What about women wearing bikinis at the beach? | Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry

Legalism simplifies things.

We understand that it is not practical to wear full body outfits at the beach. It is embarrassing and ridiculous.

I think that a one-piece bathing suit is a good compromise and shows reasonable judgment

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You're wrong about that, Sam. Most logical folks wear clothing to fit the activity. Therefore, swimsuits while at the beach.

What do you wear to swim in?

Discussing male modesty is different. It would be different if a girl wore shirts to a pool.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You're wrong about that, Sam. Most logical folks wear clothing to fit the activity. Therefore, swimsuits while at the beach.

What do you wear to swim in?

So the idea is, they compromise their standards to an extent?

These people think the water world and dry world arent different. https://www.girldefined.com/ready-bikini-season

http://www.loughbrickland.org/articles/modesty.shtml

Secondly, selective exposure of what should be covered. It is not a matter of how many square millimetres are exposed. Rather, it is a matter of where the exposure is. A little bit of cleavage, a little bit of midriff gap (front or back), a slit up the skirt which exposes a little bit of the thigh, exposes a little of what should be totally covered. It will not do to say, “But it’s only a little bit.” These parts of the body should be covered.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Discussing male modesty is different. It would be different if a girl wore shirts to a pool.

So do you wear shorts, no shirt, when you go swimming?

• Useful
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Sam, you keep saying that "male modesty is different." If that is so, why was it once illegal for men to go topless in public. If male modesty is different that is only because it has become the norm for men to go topless in public. When it becomes the norm for women to go topless--and that change is happening now--then there won't be a difference.

Oh, and if male modesty is really all that different, why did you post an article that said that it is acceptable for women to go topless in public?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
  • Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Gracious, Sam, what on earth is the deal with you? You've spent a ridiculous amount of time searching out all these articles. You posted 1 a while back that was in agreement with most of the folks here.

i tend to overanalyze everything.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Well, Sam your over analysing sure means you know a lot about a topic.
I found my Christian life is so much fun to just figure out how to love the people I meet. Since love fulfills the law I can do a lot of things while loving people.

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
And?

You think the other article I posted was misleading, the one "I dont think it means what you think"?

I've heard women claim God told them something many times and they often contradict each other so I'm sure there are plenty of women who feel God told them it's okay to be completely nude in public.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you have visited topless beaches on Europe or the Caribbean you know that for the most part the locals don't pay much attention to topless women. It isn't a big deal to them.

Regarding the OP.

Should Men Go Topless?

Now in regard to the chest of a male, there can be sexual stimulation derived from that as well from the female, but it is not as strong and does not produce the kind of chemical response within the body of the female as it does in the male. Moreover the consistency of the response in the female is considerably different. Men respond consistently to bare breasted females. However, women respond inconsistently to bare breasted men. But since there is a chance that a bare male breast would sexually stimulate a female, then the male should ensure that he cover his breast appropriately as well.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

We're on page 98 & you're putting out yet another article? Good grief, Sam.

Ok. This is what is says:
However, so far as the Christian is concerned, if it provides occasion for anyone to stumble, the Christian male should not go bare breasted.

I've asked you this several times now, & AFAIR you've dodged answering. What do you wear when you go swimming? Do you always cover yourself up top?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Go Braves is correct Sam, you have been asked the question numerous times and you constantly refuse to answer. Do you go topless when wearing a bathing suit or not. And don't say it us different for men because they don't have breasts--it has been shown in this thread that 1) men do have breast tissue and 2) some women find a male chest to be enticing.

And Sam, remember that one of the articles you posted said that it was acceptable for women to go topless.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We're on page 98 & you're putting out yet another article? Good grief, Sam.

Ok. This is what is says:
However, so far as the Christian is concerned, if it provides occasion for anyone to stumble, the Christian male should not go bare breasted.

I've asked you this several times now, & AFAIR you've dodged answering. What do you wear when you go swimming? Do you always cover yourself up top?

Here is a teaching on this topic. AskDrBrown

Upvote 0