National Go Topless Day

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So do Speedos. Sam, do you think that the men's swim team should cover up so that the ladies won't be caused "overwhelming temptation" or is just men who you think are too weak to handle swimwear?

That is why speedos are also wrong-they draw attention to certain parts.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You don't think drawing attention to certain parts creates temptation?
So is a topless man drawing attention to his chest? If so, why do we let men do it but not women?

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
That is why speedos are also wrong-they draw attention to certain parts.

Sam, has it ever occurred to you that you're the one who is wrong? That you want the world to cater to your extreme sensitivities instead of manning up and taking care of them yourself? Pro swimmers wear Speedos for a reason, it helps with their speed in the water. They're not wrong. Now, if you're going to have overwhelming temptation or stick your nose on up in the air when ladies wear bikinis at the beach or pools, and men wear Speedos swimming, then it's your problem. You can stay away from the beach & pool. You can shut off the TV during the Olympics when the swimmers are on.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sam, has it ever occurred to you that you're the one who is wrong? That you want the world to cater to your extreme sensitivities instead of manning up and taking care of them yourself? Pro swimmers wear Speedos for a reason, it helps with their speed in the water. They're not wrong. Now, if you're going to have overwhelming temptation or stick your nose on up in the air when ladies wear bikinis at the beach or pools, and men wear Speedos swimming, then it's your problem. You can stay away from the beach & pool. You can shut off the TV during the Olympics when the swimmers are on.

The Bible says we are not to cause others to stumble. Why should somebody wear a bikini and emphasize all their private areas when they can maybe wear shorts?

• Winner
Reactions: Devin P
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible says we are not to cause others to stumble. Why should somebody wear a bikini and emphasize all their private areas when they can maybe wear shorts?

Well, for starters, Sam, wearing shorts swimming isn't safe or sanitary. They're going to put too much of a drag in the water, and they're not the right fabric. You don't get how selfish what you're writing is, do you?

We're not supposed to DELIBERATELY make others stumble. Wearing a bikini or a speedo in a corporate office, that would be wrong, wearing it in the right setting is fine. The folks who are going to stumble at seeing a bikini on the beach or a speedo at a swim competition need to stop being egocentric & expecting the world to revolve around them. They need to avoid what will make them stumbles.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, for starters, Sam, wearing shorts swimming isn't safe or sanitary. They're going to put too much of a drag in the water, and they're not the right fabric. You don't get how selfish what you're writing is, do you?

We're not supposed to DELIBERATELY make others stumble. Wearing a bikini or a speedo in a corporate office, that would be wrong, wearing it in the right setting is fine. The folks who are going to stumble at seeing a bikini on the beach or a speedo at a swim competition need to stop being egocentric & expecting the world to revolve around them. They need to avoid what will make them stumbles.

So its not the clothing itself that causes another to be tempted?

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
So its not the clothing itself that causes another to be tempted?

No, Sam. We're on page 92. As it's been said repeatedly but several folks it's about context. I'm guessing you're about the same age as me & we're both guys. Lord knows what causes you to stumble does not cause that problem for me. I can't even wrap my head around stumbling because of a lady at a beach in a bikini or a male swimmer in a Speedo. I'm about as red-blooded as a male as you get.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You have been asked this before but have refused to answer--have you ever gone topless in public? Have you caused someone to stumble by doing that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FYI: August is World Breastfeeding Month.

Our agency is hosting seminars and other functions to promote nursing mothers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, I am arguing here that the claim that Eve may have been topless after being clothed by God is patently false! I would like to the many Scriptures that have been quoted before arriving at the conclusion that you are suggesting.

How are breasts sexual if sexual refers to the genitals?

Sexual Behavior - Dictionary definition of Sexual Behavior | Encyclopedia.com: FREE online dictionary

" Sexual behavior includes all responses directly associated with genital stimulation and copulation".

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I believe the way we dress can grieve God. Do you disagree with that?

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I believe the way we dress can grieve God. Do you disagree with that?

The thing is, Sam, what YOU think grieves God isn't necessarily what does. Like I said before, I think somebody deliberately trying to make somebody else stumble is doing wrong. Somebody wearing popular swim wear at the beach and pool, no, of course I don't think that causes God to grieve. I think the folks who stumble that easily need to take some personal accountability. If you become overwhelmed with temptation by seeing a lady in a bikini or a man in a Speedo, and you go to the beach, a public pool, or a swim meet, that is 100% on you. That's self-righteous arrogance, expecting the rest of the world to cater to your weakness, instead of being strong enough to avoid what causes you to stumble.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Another situation that I'd say is wrong ad this is not so much how one dresses but how one acts when one dresses provocatively. Its when some one intentionally tries to seduce a married person or single person in a committed relationship. In that situation the way the seducer is dressed is not the primary offense but the attitude and words that are used to get the other person to break their commitment.
In general its not how we dress but the attitude we have and that sinful intention can't really be hid by any dress code.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There are many conclusions in that article that are patently false, and I am not sure why you are so intent on trying to defend an article that is so bad. If you are specifically wanting to know whether the conclusion about Is. 47 is false, the short answer is maybe. The Hebrew word שוק is used in a variety of ways i.e. from just a portion of the butt to the entire leg including the feet. Depending on how one believes it is defined here, it could support either the wearing of a miniskirt or the requirement of a burka. Personally, I don't believe God desires either of these extremes.

When we deal with questions of nakedness in Scripture the only clear points that can be determined is that uncovering the genitals (a body part only referred to by idiom in the OT) and a women's breasts were considered being "naked" i.e. the uncovering of the sexual parts of the body. That being said, it seems clear that the culture of the OT considered women dressed in revealing clothing to connote immodesty. And Scriptures calls women to dress modestly which is different then telling them to not be "naked."

Doesn't that word mean market?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The thing is, Sam, what YOU think grieves God isn't necessarily what does. Like I said before, I think somebody deliberately trying to make somebody else stumble is doing wrong. Somebody wearing popular swim wear at the beach and pool, no, of course I don't think that causes God to grieve. I think the folks who stumble that easily need to take some personal accountability. If you become overwhelmed with temptation by seeing a lady in a bikini or a man in a Speedo, and you go to the beach, a public pool, or a swim meet, that is 100% on you. That's self-righteous arrogance, expecting the rest of the world to cater to your weakness, instead of being strong enough to avoid what causes you to stumble.

That is your opinion.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That is your opinion.

But as others have pointed out, you have to take responsibility for your actions.

As usual you have not answered the question I have asked several times--have you ever gone topless in public?

• Agree
Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

So, is no filth is too much? Maybe when couples are having sex in public, or in the schools, in front of your kids? They already do, on pay channels on TV, and practically on the regular channels.

Once you do (if you do) find a limit, then it becomes a debate as to where you draw that line. And who makes the standards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
But that is expanding the topic way beyond this thread. Here we are only arguing that woman should have the same right as men. Where women do have the same right as men, very few take the opertunity to be bare chested.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So, is no filth is too much? Maybe when couples are having sex in public, or in the schools, in front of your kids? They already do, on pay channels on TV, and practically on the regular channels. Once you do (if you do) find a limit, then it becomes a debate as to where you draw that line. And who makes the standards.

You are comparing women going topless in public--something that men commonly do--with couples having sex in public? Really????

• Haha
Upvote 0