Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Bible doesn't say the groin is nudity either does it. Does it say anywhere that the male groin or the female groin is nudity? I hope you are not claiming that since the Bible doesn't specifically say that it's ok to run around with out pants.

It does talk about the requirements that priests where undergarments but they also we're required to wear other special clothing as well that the general populace wasn't required to wear. There aren't an passages that say "thou shalt wear pants or underwear". Therefore according to some folks ideas then it's not specifically prohibited so we should be able to run around without groin coverage.

But no one in this thread is talking about anyone going around without pants. We are discussing women going topless just as men go topless.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I really like the article and think it explains things very well. As far as I know in just about every society the woman's breasts are specifically thought of as sexual objects as well as for feeding babies.

As the article explains the male and female body is different as we all know. The female breast IS a sexual object and the bible speaks of that.

Those are the parts we keep private for the babies and for our spouse. They are not for public consumption. It's shameful to do so.

So now you admit that breasts are for feeding babies. earlier you said that they were only for a woman's husband.

In many places it is the norm for women to go topless. Topless beaches are fairly common in many parts of the world. How is it shameful for a woman to go topless in public, but not shameful for a man to do so?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So now you admit that breasts are for feeding babies. earlier you said that they were only for a woman's husband.

In many places it is the norm for women to go topless. Topless beaches are fairly common in many parts of the world. How is it shameful for a woman to go topless in public, but not shameful for a man to do so?

Could it be not just breasts, but the way our bodies are designed? Even non human creatures in cartoons have a top on because it has a face that has characteristics that are generally considered feminine?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal

I didn't really think I had to say that. I just figured that was understood. Sorry I don't mention that specifically. I thought since we were talking about breasts in this context of modesty nudity babies didn't really figure into it.

Reactions: Sammy-San
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal
But no one in this thread is talking about anyone going around without pants. We are discussing women going topless just as men go topless.
But we are talking about nudity and one of the big arguments I've heard are something along the lines of "the bible doesn't say anything about going topless being naked." I just pointed out that the bible doesn't say anything about going bottomless either so it appears that we can't use the bible as an excuse to go topless and claim it's not nakedness.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal

The norm is meaningless. God doesn't ever compromise his principles based on the norms of the day. It's the norm now for people to divorce but we don't follow that. It is the norm for people to have sex with multiple partners and we as believers don't follow that. It is the norm for people to party on Friday nights but Christians shouldn't do that. The norm is worthless when it comes to godliness, holiness, modesty and what the Bible teaches as the way to be.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I didn't really think I had to say that. I just figured that was understood. Sorry I don't mention that specifically. I thought since we were talking about breasts in this context of modesty nudity babies didn't really figure into it.
I'm just going by the plain meaning of your words: "a woman's breasts are meant for her husband." If you intended to say something different you should have done so.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But we are talking about nudity and one of the big arguments I've heard are something along the lines of "the bible doesn't say anything about going topless being naked." I just pointed out that the bible doesn't say anything about going bottomless either so it appears that we can't use the bible as an excuse to go topless and claim it's not nakedness.

So it a topless man naked?

BTW, have you gone topless? If so, why is it acceptable for you but not for a woman?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The norm is meaningless. God doesn't ever compromise his principles based on the norms of the day. It's the norm now for people to divorce but we don't follow that. It is the norm for people to have sex with multiple partners and we as believers don't follow that. It is the norm for people to party on Friday nights but Christians shouldn't do that. The norm is worthless when it comes to godliness, holiness, modesty and what the Bible teaches as the way to be.
But it is the norm in many cultures for women to go topless. Breasts are not universally regarded as sexual. You are trying to impose American standards on other cultures.

Oh, in you post you mentioned several things that are specifically discussed in scripture. Going topless is not. And for the record, this Christian often goes out with friends on Friday nights for drinks, nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Could it be not just breasts, but the way our bodies are designed? Even non human creatures in cartoons have a top on because it has a face that has characteristics that are generally considered feminine?
I will ignore all your questions until you answer the questions I asked. And don't say "what questions," I've asked them multiple times.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal
So it a topless man naked?

BTW, have you gone topless? If so, why is it acceptable for you but not for a woman?

You know I have gone topless in the past. I will be honest in that I never thought about it as a younger man. I never gave it a thought that women might be oggling me or that I might cause her to stumble. I didn't run around town that way as I was more modest, at those times. But at a beach or water slides I didn't wear a shirt.

It was always an assumption that men had always been that way. I mean you watch movies in the bible days and you saw men without their shirts all the time. And it ancient paintings and carvings men were shirtless there too especially when working. I just never thought about it. I mean girls lusting after because I had my shirt off? Really? But then again perhaps they were. So if I was causing that then it was wrong of me to put them in that position.

As I got older I began to think about it more. I don't go shirtless anymore. I think our modesty morals have slipped and they shouldn't.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You know I have gone topless in the past. I will be honest in that I never thought about it as a younger man. I never gave it a thought that women might be oggling me or that I might cause her to stumble. I didn't run around town that way as I was more modest, at those times. But at a beach or water slides I didn't wear a shirt.

It was always an assumption that men had always been that way. I mean you watch movies in the bible days and you saw men without their shirts all the time. And it ancient paintings and carvings men were shirtless there too especially when working. I just never thought about it. I mean girls lusting after because I had my shirt off? Really? But then again perhaps they were. So if I was causing that then it was wrong of me to put them in that position.

As I got older I began to think about it more. I don't go shirtless anymore. I think our modesty morals have slipped and they shouldn't.

Would you say it isn't comparable to women doing the same?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal
But it is the norm in many cultures for women to go topless. Breasts are not universally regarded as sexual. You are trying to impose American standards on other cultures.

Oh, in you post you mentioned several things that are specifically discussed in scripture. Going topless is not. And for the record, this Christian often goes out with friends on Friday nights for drinks, nothing wrong with that.

You know you keep talking about other cultures but I have yet to really hear about other cultures and the sex of breasts there. Please post a link showing the cultures of today that do not sexualize the female breast. Remember that just because they have nude or topless beaches does not mean that the breast is not considered sexual in that culture.

And I am not talking about going out for a few drinks. I am.talking about partying where everyone goes out and drinks to excess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Isn't toplessness being immodest more than lust?

Can a Christian be a nudist? What does the Bible say about nudity?

Nudity now has implications of sinfulness attached to it. With few exceptions, the Bible presents nakedness as shameful and degrading (Genesis 9:21; Exodus 20:26; 32:25; 2 Chronicles 28:19; Isaiah 47:3; Ezekiel 16:35-36; Luke 8:27; Revelation 3:17; 16:15; 17:16). The only passages in which nudity is free of shame are those that describe Eden’s idyllic setting or that deal with marital relations (Proverbs 5:18-19; Song of Solomon 4).

We still live in a fallen world, surrounded by lust, immorality, and perversion. The innocence of Eden is gone. Naturist philosophy ignores the results of the fall. Even in “asexual” contexts, public displays of nudity dishonor God by pretending an innocence that no longer exists. A Christian should definitely not be a nudist or participate in nudist activities.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
BTW still waiting for you to answer my second question--do you honestly believe that women should wear clothing that only shows their faces, lower arms and feet and that they shouldn't wear bright clothing? You posted a link to a site that said that. I'm also waiting for any evidence that Eve covered her breasts. Why do you not answer questions when they are asked.

What post are you referring to?

Upvote 0