National Go Topless Day

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I apologise to Superhero Sam if I spoke too harshly of him. While I think I mostly agree with him, in that I don't believe its appropriate for women to show off their boobs in public (at least in our society), I also think this is unrealistic for some situations such as where ladies need to breastfeed.

I think a lot of the confusion has been caused because there are so many different topics being discussed, the logical inconsistencies, and reliance on unreliable sources. For example, one topic is whether women should cover their breasts in public. Another is whether female breasts, or other body parts, are sexual by their nature. A third is about the nature of nudity, and whether nudity is necessarily sexual.

Please feel free to post your opinion, Sam91, or at least, know that I won't speak harshly to you because of it.

why are certain words offensive?
like mongoloid was used by scientists to describe race groups and not to put down those with downs syndrome. Term doesnt sound nice.

Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
like mongoloid was used by scientists to describe race groups and not to put down those with downs syndrome. Term doesnt sound nice.
Lol. Another topic for discussion, maybe? I actually like the word "boobs" and find it more culturally acceptable and less clinical than the word "breasts", but to each their own, right?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Lol. Another topic for discussion, maybe? I actually like the word "boobs" and find it more culturally acceptable and less clinical than the word "breasts", but to each their own, right?
efficient and unemotional; coldly detached is definition of clinical.
thats just an opinion.

some words sound more respectful.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is off topic in this thread .

• Agree
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Legally, we won that battle a long time ago...
Public breastfeeding is specifically protected by law in every state but Idaho. I understand that Idaho never adopted a law protecting public breastfeeding simply because women there already had the right to go topless in public based on a 1998 court decision.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Public breastfeeding is specifically protected by law in every state but Idaho. I understand that Idaho never adopted a law protecting public breastfeeding simply because women there already had the right to go topless in public based on a 1998 court decision.
Maybe tell Superhero Sam to avoid Idaho - it might freak him out! :D

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe tell Superhero Sam to avoid Idaho - it might freak him out! :D

Actually (as mentioned before here), about half of the U.S. states allow women to legally go topless anywhere men can - but they very seldom do, because of cultural pressure.

I lived in California 44 years and never saw a topless woman in public, except for nudist venues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Actually (as mentioned before here), about half of the U.S. states allow women to legally go topless anywhere men can - but they very seldom do, because of cultural pressure.

I lived in California 44 years and never saw a topless woman in public, except for nudist venues.
Ha, ha. The law says they can go topless, but it doesn't say men can't stare. Its pretty amazing how God designed some things to be aesthetically pleasing universally.

I still think I agree with the cultural norms for Christians proposed by Superhero Sam, but not his extreme views.

• Agree
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I have seen a handful of topless women in Central Park in NYC--it is legal in State of New York--but I agree that cultural pressure keeps it from being more common.

Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I have seen a handful of topless women in Central Park in NYC--it is legal in State of New York--but I agree that cultural pressure keeps it from being more common.
I think it would be a strange type of Christian lady who would go topless in public (without legitimate need such as breastfeeding). I think such people would usually be seeking extra attention from men, or trying to make some sort of political statement.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it would be a strange type of Christian lady who would go topless in public (without legitimate need such as breastfeeding). I think such people would usually be seeking extra attention from men, or trying to make some sort of political statement.

I think that attitude in the US towards female breasts is cultural. Women--Christian and non-Christian--in many parts of the world such as continental Europe and Australia regularly go topless on beaches. If it became common practice in the US no one would pay much attention. As one of the links that Sam posted earlier said, "Have you ever been to a nudist colony or a beach? Breasts and nipples everywhere. Maybe you will find it exciting for a first few minutes, but after a while, it is business as usual. It won't excite you anymore."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think that attitude in the US towards female breasts is cultural. Women--Christian and non-Christian--in many parts of the world such as continental Europe and Australia regularly go topless on beaches. If it became common practice in the US no one would pay much attention. As one of the links that Sam posted earlier said, "Have you ever been to a nudist colony or a beach? Breasts and nipples everywhere. Maybe you will find it exciting for a first few minutes, but after a while, it is business as usual. It won't excite you anymore."
I've been to some European and Australian beaches, and that's not my experience, 'though I guess sunbathing is a legitimate reason for a female to be topless. I was thinking about someone at the shops, or at the local park, not a woman minding her own business in the sun at the beach.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Your thoughts have found expression in some California political rallies of 1968, in which both men and women protested nude. They also emerged in some "girls gone wild" merrymaking in certain college towns.

These incidents occurred largely for shock value or attention, and do not represent true, "normal" nudism, which is quite casual and low-key. Unfortunately, I have never seen a woman topless at a typical heavily-populated city beach; of course, that doesn't mean it's never happened...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There is a musician that I have meet. A GF of mine knows her better and she goes topless at NY beaches ... she is militant about being able to go topless. She is definately on the far end of the spectrum for clothes to no clothes.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the OP it did state about Christian women and said in public.

If a non Christian woman wanted to go topless that is her want and I do not see the problem (if she is safe). For her. Christian men, those who find it tempting to start along a line of thinking will need to exercise some discipline and self control, we have the Holy Spirit.

After posting I turned to thinking about what I would think/do if a Christian woman told me she planned to: a) Sunbathe topless on the beach. b)Go topless in general in public. (Not to the rally)

For a. If it was in a country where that was the norm and there would be the likelihood of others being topless I wouldn't have anything to say. Probably because it is more normal.

For b. I would probably, not judgingly, more out of concern question her to find out her rationale. If I felt worried for her, safety wise, spiritually I would raise my concerns and explain why. I think I probably would feel uneasy for her though.

I think culture and what is normal has a lot to do with it. Changing the way society views this isn't really our remit though. It is to show Jesus and spread the gospel. Which doesn't say to go topless.

On another note, I do not know how true this is. Apparently it was comon to only have one tunic so in giving away that tunic to the man who takes your coat (if i am quoting correctly the events in the verse) the man would then be naked?? However, that must be more about loving your neighbour and acting well even when wronged, than nudity.

Good night :) and thank you everyone for your goodness towards me. I appreciated it and enjoyed participating.
Hi; not to enter into any argument; just some lateral observations. It's probable that young women today growing up might in some cases do it on the beach while lying face down only, because it's a hot day, and the way to get evenly tanned; others might do it both face down and face up as well; not because they necessarily are setting out to show their skin above the waist but because it's on the beach, a hot day and it's what's widely done in that context. Context has a lot to do with it, I guess. (I'm not arguing with anything you say.)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think that attitude in the US towards female breasts is cultural. Women--Christian and non-Christian--in many parts of the world such as continental Europe and Australia regularly go topless on beaches. If it became common practice in the US no one would pay much attention.
This is true. I used to live in Europe and it's certainly true; not that I used to spend time looking. In some countries - especially European ones - wearing the upper as well as the lower part of a bikini at a beach is frankly rather conservative.

Upvote 0