Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This does my heart good, especially after reading over and over how 80 plus percent of evangelicals support Trump.

If you were to find a difference between the National Council of Churches and a left-wing political group what would it be?

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist

Why do you suppose evangelicals support Trump?

This does my heart good, especially after reading over and over how 80 plus percent of evangelicals support Trump.

Brett Kavanaugh wants to overturn Roe v. Wade. That alone got my “vote”! I just wonder how Christians can refuse to take that into consideration when calling for the nomination to be withdrawn.

1John 1:8-10
8. If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar, and his word is not in us.

Given that, in his own words, "The Donald" has stated publically that he fails to see the need to seek God's forgiveness from sin, one wonders as to why "evangelicals" would place their support behind an individual, who according to 1 John 1:10, has made Christ out to be a "liar!"

Last edited:
Reactions: Robin Mauro
Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you were to find a difference between the National Council of Churches and a left-wing political group what would it be?
Uh, over 40,000,000 Christians from different denominations who believe they must follow Jesus' requirement to take care of the least of these...
"I was hungry, and you fed me..."

Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Brett Kavanaugh wants to overturn Roe v. Wade. That alone got my “vote”! I just wonder how Christians can refuse to take that into consideration when calling for the nomination to be withdrawn.
A judge is supposed to be non-partisan and above reproach. Kavanaugh is neither.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

The NCC mostly represents mainline Protestants, historic Black churches, and many Eastern Orthodox. It does not represent what is commonly called "evangelicals" in the US.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

8. If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar, and his word is not in us.

Given that, in his own words, "The Donald" has stated publically that he fails to see the need to seek God's forgiveness from sin, one wonders as to why "evangelicals" would place their support behind an individual, who according to 1 John 1:10, has made Christ out to be a "liar!"
What do YOU care what the Donald does privately in his own relationship with God. Do you know how many posters I've heard declare that asking God forgiveness is not necessary because Jesus did everything on the cross for the past, the present and the future? (which I don't agree with BTW).

So do you think Hillary asks forgiveness? Does it matter?
Or does what she BELIEVES matter? And what she DOES.
Do her BELIEFS edify Christianity or bury it?

Trump will be much more on the side of Christianity...Hillary could never be because her beliefs and actions show that she is following the enemy of Christianity.

And this is what counts...not their PERSONAL relationship with God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟455,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The NCC is extremely left wing. This is a political stance for abortion.

"A continuing drift leftward has not helped the NCC. As of January 1, 2014, the NCC’s new president and general secretary is Jim Winkler, long-time chief of the United Methodist lobby in Washington, D.C. His record includes outspoken support for abortion rights, the impeachment of President George W. Bush, and divestment against Israel." "In a farewell column for a publication of the United Methodist political lobby, the incoming NCC president and general secretary condemned the Methodist Church’s “institutional homophobia....(snip long sentence)"

A New President for the National Council of Churches? | Mark Tooley

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟455,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

This was years ago. Maybe he is changing. As Christians, we are to pray for our leaders and those in authority. So I certainly pray he is.

Regardless where he is in his faith walk, what he DOES is support religious freedom and First Amendment rights, so that's something.

Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The NCC mostly represents mainline Protestants, historic Black churches, and many Eastern Orthodox. It does not represent what is commonly called "evangelicals" in the US.
Yes Fire dragon, I understand this, but they are all Christians, and the voices of Christians who do not support Trump or Kavanaugh are under represented on social media.
All I hear over and over on Facebook is that 80 plus percent of evangelicals support him, no matter how contrary his words and actions are to the Christian faith.
And, by the way, there are evangelical churches who are members of the N.C.C., as well as some First Southern Baptists, which also does my heart good, as I was raised First Southern Baptist.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Uh, over 40,000,000 Christians from different denominations who believe they must follow Jesus' requirement to take care of the least of these...
"I was hungry, and you fed me..."
Who is stopping them? Not Kavanaugh, from all that I can tell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes Fire dragon, I understand this, but they are all Christians, and the voices of Christians who do not support Trump or Kavanaugh are under represented on social media.
All I hear over and over on Facebook is that 80 plus percent of evangelicals support him, no matter how contrary his words and actions are to the Christian faith.
And, by the way, there are evangelical churches who are members of the N.C.C., as well as some First Southern Baptists, which also does my heart good, as I was raised First Southern Baptist.

The term "evangelicals" itself is a very fungible term, at times. Just what it means is often unclear, now days.

For instance, the ELCA considers itself evangelical in the historic sense, because we emphasize the preaching of the good news of God's reconciliation with sinners. But some people take "evangelical" to only mean those who have a "born again" conversion experience, which is something that is a relatively recent usage of the term "evangelical".

Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This was years ago. Maybe he is changing. As Christians, we are to pray for our leaders and those in authority. So I certainly pray he is.

Regardless where he is in his faith walk, what he DOES is support religious freedom and First Amendment rights, so that's something.

His own actions and words show he is not changing.
At a rally, he mocked Dr. Blasey Ford just days after saying she was a credible witness....(wasn't that called flip-flopping when Kerry ran? )
Trump says what he knows will rile people up, with no regard for decency or truth, or the consequences of his words...like inflaming the KKK/white supremists.
He claimed "innocent until proven guilty" for Kavanaugh, but over and over mocked Hillary Clinton and said to lock her up, long after she was cleared.
Years ago he took out a full page ad against the "central park 5", and even 14 years after they were exonerated by DNA evidence, and the confession of the true perpetrator, he still called them guilty, and has never apologized .
He is a hypocrite of the worst kind.
He has no moral compass whatsoever.
And he is only for religious freedom when it comes to Christians (for now) and Jews (for now), not for Muslims, etc., and NOT because he is a Christian. He clearly is not.
He only claimed Christianity after realizing it would get him votes, and still knows nothing of scripture or Biblical principles, like the love of money being the root of all evil, or pride going before destruction, or taking care of the poor...
He has profitted from his presidency which is clearly against the law and entirely corrupt.
And the 1st amendment includes freedom of the press....but he only supports the most disreputable news sources such as Fox.
And when confronted with his own admission of sexual assault (what else can grabbing a woman's private body parts upon first meeting her be called?), he claimed locker room talk...no shame, no humiliation, no remorse, at such vile words/actions.
I pray that he learns what repentance is, but I have yet to see anything even vaguely resembling repentance or humility in him.
"...when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn." Proverbs 29:2

"For, as it is written, God's name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you." Romans 2:24
Jude 1:4-16
"...for certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of God into a license for immorality...11 Woe to them, they have rushed for profit into Balaam's error...12 These people are blemishes on your love feasts..shepherds who feed only themselves...13 ...wandering stars, for whom blackest darkness has been reserved forever...16 These people are grumblers and faultfinders, they follow their own evil desires; they boast about themselves and flatter others for their own advantage."
He personally benefits from the tax breaks he gave to the rich, but wants to rob the poor to pay for them. Had they included some guarantees that corporations pay a living wage, provide health care and retirement benefits, ensure health and safety regulations for workers, then they may have made sense, but they don't. And in fact, he is undoing environmental protections against water contamination, air pollution, etc., and he is even going after our national parks.

Almost everything he does is scandalous. We will see if he actually ban bump stocks, which he should, but I am not holding my breath.
Isaiah 1:23
"Your rulers are rebels and companions of thieves; everyone loves a bribe and chases after rewards. They do not defend the orphan, nor does the widow's plea come before them."
Ezekial 22:27
"Her princes within them are like wolves tearing the prey, by shedding blood and destroying lives in order to get dishonest gain."
And if you meant the 2nd amendment, rather than the 1st, that is a whole 'nother conversation...
Our taxes should be for the good of everyone, roads, schools, taking care of the poor, the disabled....not for these endless wars, which are about taking other countries resources, and not to further enrich billionaires.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The term "evangelicals" itself is a very fungible term, at times. Just what it means is often unclear, now days.

For instance, the ELCA considers itself evangelical in the historic sense, because we emphasize the preaching of the good news of God's reconciliation with sinners. But some people take "evangelical" to only mean those who have a "born again" conversion experience, which is something that is a relatively recent usage of the term "evangelical".
I agree, the term evangelical IS vague, and it seems to have become a catch all term for all Christians, except for maybe Catholics

Upvote 0