not so new
Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
✟94,770.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
SECURITY Minister Robert Montague says nearly $3 billion will be needed over the next two years for the full roll out of the national Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) System, dubbed JamaicaEye.

Minister Montague says the islandwide system is now in its initial phase and implementation is expected to take place next month as the ministry awaits Cabinet approval for the additional funding.

The minister's disclosure comes in light of the increased incidents of shooting and murders islandwide.

According to a release from the Ministry of National Security, JamaicaEye will allow citizens and business owners with cameras pointing in the public space to voluntarily provide their camera feed to a restricted team of vetted security professionals at two monitoring centres.

The video feeds will be passed through a suite of video analytics. Under the programme, citizens and businesses with CCTV systems will register via a website.

The JamaicaEye project is the brainchild of National Security Minister Robert Montague in keeping with the five-pillar crime reduction strategy he presented in 2016, the release said.

National CCTV system to get additional funding

*** I don't have a problem with CCTV being used to catch criminals in public sphere. What concerns me with the CCTV system is government and political interference in it. Note that the government owns the first 200 camera feeds. In my estimation they may have access or feel they have the right to access the feed because they are 'government owned'.

That corrupt police, security persons, groups, individuals may hide whatever criminal act is caught on tape, and corrupt individuals who may use these cameras to track the movements of non criminal persons.

Additionally, what concerns me are persons who are funding this system, that they themselves through financial contribution will use the CCTV system in Jamaica for corrupt purposes.

Last edited: