NASB most accurate Bible translation?

Which is the most accurate Bible translation?

• NASB

• ESV

• NKJV

• KJV

• NRSV

• RSV

• NIV

• AMP

• ASV

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Fervent, this is one of those questions with much evidence, lots of discussion and argument and no universal verdict.

Consider: No reputable translator is going to publish a translation the translator KNOWS to be in error. (We'll not consider those translations that are intentionally mis-translated: The translator has to KNOW what is being done.) So when one says the NASB is the most accurate, that statement implies if not outright claims, that all the other translations are somehow lacking, mistaken, sloppy or otherwise wrong. The same logical conclusion applies to all other translations. Were I to say the NET Bible is more accurate, that implies the NASB isn't quite as good.

Also in the discussion are the concepts of 'literal translation' versus 'dynamic translation'. Should translations be made 'word for word' or 'idea by idea'? Argument can made to support either.

I prefer to use the NEB followed closely by the NET translations. They are easy for me to understand and I think they are the most meaningful in modern English. However, I don't think they are a 'better' or 'more accurate' translation than many of the others. Speaking of 'preference'; who - as a serious Biblical student or Christian - is going to pick a Bible they think is inferior in translation to something else? Not me, anyway.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2014
Texas
✟8,130.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Fervent, this is one of those questions with much evidence, lots of discussion and argument and no universal verdict.

Consider: No reputable translator is going to publish a translation the translator KNOWS to be in error. (We'll not consider those translations that are intentionally mis-translated: The translator has to KNOW what is being done.) So when one says the NASB is the most accurate, that statement implies if not outright claims, that all the other translations are somehow lacking, mistaken, sloppy or otherwise wrong. The same logical conclusion applies to all other translations. Were I to say the NET Bible is more accurate, that implies the NASB isn't quite as good.

Also in the discussion are the concepts of 'literal translation' versus 'dynamic translation'. Should translations be made 'word for word' or 'idea by idea'? Argument can made to support either.

I prefer to use the NEB followed closely by the NET translations. They are easy for me to understand and I think they are the most meaningful in modern English. However, I don't think they are a 'better' or 'more accurate' translation than many of the others. Speaking of 'preference'; who - as a serious Biblical student or Christian - is going to pick a Bible they think is inferior in translation to something else? Not me, anyway.

Yes I completely agree. I would never recommend that one limit themselves to one translation only or even one translation philosophy, as they are after all translations. But it has been said the NASB is the most accurate by endorsements and it is agreed by most it is the most literal. Maybe the latter part of the sentence is where the former comes from. I believe it's required in most evangelical seminaries.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It's been said the NASB is the most accurate Bible translation. Do you agree?

I have had one for decades and still it is my primary one. I used to think it was the most accurate - but it is missing texts.

Upvote 0