Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
NASA’s Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security, Regolith Explorer (OSIRIS-REx) spacecraft unfurled its robotic arm Tuesday, and in a first for the agency, briefly touched an asteroid to collect dust and pebbles from the surface for delivery to Earth in 2023.

This well-preserved, ancient asteroid, known as Bennu, is currently more than 200 million miles (321 million kilometers) from Earth. Bennu offers scientists a window into the early solar system as it was first taking shape billions of years ago and flinging ingredients that could have helped seed life on Earth. If Tuesday’s sample collection event, known as “Touch-And-Go” (TAG), provided enough of a sample, mission teams will command the spacecraft to begin stowing the precious primordial cargo to begin its journey back to Earth in March 2021. Otherwise, they will prepare for another attempt in January.

OSIRIS-REx launched from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida Sept. 8, 2016.

Thanks, Obama!

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,872.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
OSIRIS-REx launched from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida Sept. 8, 2016.
I think it is always worth reflecting upon the remarkable reliability of the hardware that allows this machine to operate in a hostile environment, with precision, for close to a decade. Vacuum, wide ranging temperature variations, cosmic rays, solar wind, micrometeorites, not to mention the occassional engineer who might use Imperial units when Metric was expected.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
NASA’s Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security, Regolith Explorer (OSIRIS-REx) spacecraft unfurled its robotic arm Tuesday, and in a first for the agency, briefly touched an asteroid to collect dust and pebbles from the surface for delivery to Earth in 2023.

This well-preserved, ancient asteroid, known as Bennu, is currently more than 200 million miles (321 million kilometers) from Earth. Bennu offers scientists a window into the early solar system as it was first taking shape billions of years ago and flinging ingredients that could have helped seed life on Earth. If Tuesday’s sample collection event, known as “Touch-And-Go” (TAG), provided enough of a sample, mission teams will command the spacecraft to begin stowing the precious primordial cargo to begin its journey back to Earth in March 2021. Otherwise, they will prepare for another attempt in January.

Thanks, Obama!
I watched the Osiris TAG live-ish - i.e. as the data came in - last night (around 11:15pm UK time) - a remarkably delicate precision operation, where the craft approached very slowly while autonomously evaluating the sample area for hazards (lot's of big rocks around), then gently touched the surface to take the sample before backing off to cool down, recharge, and assess the sample. Amazing.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟242,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The video was wild. "Gently touched" is probably not an accurate description. There was an explosion of material and it left a crater, lol. I suppose it was gentle relatively speaking.

The precision is just unreal though. Awesome job!

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes its hard to take seriously that there's anything out there at all.

I mean, WE are so important that why would there even need to be anything else beyond our firmament, let alone trillions of other galaxies. Makes no sense at all. Not buying it. Its totally fair, my demand that the universe make sense to me.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
Also, I should mention I spent 3 moonless nights last weekend camping in the darkest skies in the continental USA. The "milky way" was stunning. Best night skies I've ever seen.
You're extremely lucky; it's a privilege very few get these days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

NASA Spacecraft Will Visit Apophis, Once Earth’s Deadliest Asteroid Threat
After delivering extraterrestrial samples to Earth in 2023, OSIRIS-REx will embark on an extended mission to a potentially planet-threatening space rock

Apophis’s close approach could offer more than celestial eye candy. Scientists have eagerly proposed possible missions to rendezvous with the object on or around its passage in 2029. Now at least one visitor from our planet has been confirmed: NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft, initially launched in 2016 on a mission to collect samples from another asteroid, Bennu, and bring them back to Earth. OSIRIS-REx is currently on its way home from its successful encounter with Bennu, and it is scheduled to drop off its invaluable samples in September 2023. The spacecraft will continue flying through space, however, leading NASA to approve a $200-million extension to the mission. OSIRIS-REx will now rendezvous with Apophis, becoming OSIRIS-APEX (OSIRIS–Apophis Explorer) in the process. “It’s really exciting,” says Daniella DellaGiustina of the University of Arizona, who will lead OSIRIS-APEX’s investigations. “This will be a phenomenal step forward” in our understanding of Apophis.

OSIRIS-APEX will sidle up to Apophis a couple of months after the asteroid’s close encounter with Earth, performing initial reconnaissance before entering orbit around the object in August 2029. Mapping the surface, mission scientists will look for any interesting changes elicited by Apophis’s brief plunge through our planet’s gravitational grip. “The tidal forces could cause small landslides and expose some fresh material,” says Mike Nolan of the University of Arizona, who is science team lead of OSIRIS-REx. “It could be reshaped.”

Is anyone concerned that this craft is named for a false demon-god?

"The asteroid would come to be called Apophis, after the Egyptian god of destruction."

Now we'll have one Egyptian god meeting another. In Space!

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After delivering extraterrestrial samples to Earth in 2023, OSIRIS-REx will embark on an extended mission to a potentially planet-threatening space rock

Apophis’s close approach could offer more than celestial eye candy. Scientists have eagerly proposed possible missions to rendezvous with the object on or around its passage in 2029. Now at least one visitor from our planet has been confirmed: NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft, initially launched in 2016 on a mission to collect samples from another asteroid...

People who don't study movies, are doomed to repeat them.

The Andromeda Strain (film)
A team of scientists who investigate a deadly organism of [URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_space']extraterrestrial
origin - returned on a space probe. [/URL]

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

An asteroid will just miss us in 2029. Scientists are making the most of a rare opportunity

To be clear: The asteroid is not going to hit us.

At its nearest, Apophis will pass roughly 19,000 miles (31,000 kilometers) above Earth’s surface. That’s about one-10th the distance to the moon.

On the big night, Apophis will be visible with the naked eye from parts of Europe and Africa.

OSIRIS-REx, a spacecraft currently ferrying home samples from the surface of an asteroid called Bennu, will rendezvous with Apophis in 2029. Shortly after April 13, the craft — by then renamed OSIRIS-APophis EXplorer, or OSIRIS-APEX — will steer toward the asteroid until it is drawn into its orbit, eventually getting close enough to collect a sample from its surface.

2029 used to seem like a long way away.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,278.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
You're extremely lucky; it's a privilege very few get these days.
Seriously. Try to see even the moon,
living in Hong Kong!
I spent three weeks at a ranch in Wyoming,
USA. High altitude, clear sky. I was in
total amazement. I thought something was
wrong with the sky (milky way :D

In all I spent hours gazing at the sky.
Found a little fuzzy patch ( Andromeda!).
I wanted to build it right into my mind,
thinking, correctly so far, that I'd never
see such a sky again.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
Seriously. Try to see even the moon,
living in Hong Kong!
I spent three weeks at a ranch in Wyoming,
USA. High altitude, clear sky. I was in
total amazement. I thought something was
wrong with the sky (milky way :D

In all I spent hours gazing at the sky.
Found a little fuzzy patch ( Andromeda!).
I wanted to build it right into my mind,
thinking, correctly so far, that I'd never
see such a sky again.
I read recently that when the power went out in LA a while back, people rang 911 and the local observatory to report a band of light across the sky...

Upvote 0