Nancy Pelosi: "We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it."

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The headline is incorrect and the story has always been misleading.

Nancy Pelosi at that time, was talking to reporters who asked what was in the ACA Bill. It was still being worked on and debated in the House of Reps, so she said, "We have to pass the bill so YOU find out what's in it, away from the fog.'

In other words, reporters would not see the final bill until the House passed it.

Conservatives tried to spin this as if Pelosi was talking on the floor of the House of Representatives and telling them to vote blindly on the bill.

Such was not the case. She was talking to reporters.

Jim

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Democrats seem to be hoping that the public has amnesia or is stupid.

Obamacare architect Jonathan Gruber talking about how they got it to pass:

Yeah, Gruber a propeller-hat wearing geek made statements which inflamed conservatives.

However, he is the MIT professor whom Mitt Romney hired to create Romenycare here in MA.

I have experience with Romneycare, and attribute it for saving my life when I was out of work and was able to get affordable health insurance.

I then had experience with Obamacare as I was smoothly transferred over once it became law.

Here in MA, we had the experience of the AHC, but also had politicians who worked to make it work.

What's your experience with these ?

In Red States like NH where my son and daughter lived, the GOP politicians worked against it from day one, and only licensed one health insurance company, Anthem Blue Cross. In other words, the Republican legislators sought to make their people hate ACA, as they'd wantedt it repealed. In other words, the hell with the welfare of the people.

Wait as 24 million people end up without health insurance should this go through.

Watch when babies born prematurely with life-long health issues, end up in pools with premiums over $3000 per month.

Hurrah for me who has health insurance and the hell with everyone else, the motto of the GOP.

Jim

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The biggest problem with Obamacare has always been the conflation of health insurance with health care. The push was to get everyone insured (probably because it's easy to tout insured numbers in your campaign commercials than the thornier issue of quality and expense of treatment) with all other issues considered secondary.

The issue became worse when many of the regulations made the insurance essentially not insurance any more. If you can get insurance after you know that you will need to pay heavy medical bills; that's not insuring against a potential future event. It's taking money out for a known current expense. Since the business model for insurance generally is that most people pay in money that they never use, allowing that money to be used for the people who actually do have health troubles while the business makes a profit, this is a really huge issue. The individual mandate was meant to solve some of the problem by forcing healthy people into insurance far beyond their needs, in order that their money could be used to pay for the rest of the country, but it wasn't really ever clear that this could work.

And indeed, premiums and deductibles have routinely been going up, options have went down, and insurers have performed worse and worse. We are almost at the point where people are insured, but where their insurance does literally nothing for them. If your deductible is more than you can afford to pay, what is insurance but another cost for you? And if your network is so poor that you can't actually meet with a doctor to treat you, what good does insurance do you?

It's not clear how the system can be fixed, but it is clear that if Obamacare had been allowed to continue the system would have become even more of a mockery than it already was.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The context is Bill Clinton speaking at a campaign rally with campaign rhetoric which he misunderstood.
It doesn't change the fact that Bill Clinton called Obamacare a "crazy system." And it doesn't change the fact that the Minnesota governor, a Democrat, said it is "no longer affordable."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't change the fact that Bill Clinton called Obamacare a "crazy system." And it doesn't change the fact that Minnesota's Democrat governor said it is "no longer affordable."

Context does change the facts which Republicans tried to spin his statement on.

After all, he later corrected himself, but that doesn't matter.

Obviously you don't like Obamacare, despite not having any experience on it.

Therefore, you must have health insurance through other means.

Hooray for you !

Jim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
After all, he later corrected himself, but that doesn't matter.
I suspect that Bill changed what he said after he got yelled at by his wife.

But, as far as I know, the Democrat governor didn't change what he said about it.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I hardly listen to Pelosi anyway. She and Hillary want abortion up until the umbilical cord is cut, as before that time, the baby they want to kill "belongs" to the woman.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I hardly listen to Pelosi anyway. She and Hillary want abortion up until the umbilical cord is cut, as before that time, the baby they want to kill "belongs" to the woman.
The abortion mentality turns the woman into a chattel slavery slave master.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

And after the cord is cut, the baby belongs to the government.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟64,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

First if all it's "Democratic" not "Democrat" which is a slur and I'm going to start reporting it as such if things don't get better.

Second,

As a proud citizen of the State of Hockey you are either ignorant or a lair and I don't care which.

Gov Dayton's point was that the Republican congress had removed the risk channels from the ACA which caused the insurance companies to increase their rates.

This, or course, was intended. The republicans have been removing provisions from the ACA for years attempting to undermine it so they can then claim it was a failure.

But, hey - why read an article with understanding when you can watch Fox news and be stupid.

(..and a quick note to those of which we do not speak (just in case) - that's not hyperbole. There is more than one study showing Fox news watchers are actually less informed than people who watch no news at all)

Upvote 0