Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As I pointed out above it is the duty of the Church to correct members beliefs and actions when they run counter to the Word of God. Politicians who support the ownership of legally obtained firearms are neither violating God's or man's law.

Exactly. "Thou shall not kill" - one of God's Laws - seems to apply equally.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Exactly. "Thou shall not kill" - one of God's Laws - seems to apply equally.
No, the correct translation would be "Thou shall not murder." But let's assume your definition is correct: Is not abortion killing?.....or do you believe the unborn is not a human life? Seems to me that is what the Church is trying to do: prevent killing of human life.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Nowhere. I thought that is what you are doing here.....legally......

What does "legally" have to do with God? He is no respecter of persons; what cares He for our laws?

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No, the correct translation would be "Thou shall not murder." But let's assume your definition is correct: Is not abortion killing?.....or do you believe the unborn is not a human life? Seems to me that is what the Church is trying to do: prevent killing of human life.

I did not speak against the church's stance on abortion. I spoke about it doing something about shooting school children and old ladies grocery shopping. Don't you think the church should do something about that, perhaps with equal fervor as it does about abortion?

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I did not speak against the church's stance on abortion. I spoke about it doing something about shooting school children and old ladies grocery shopping. Don't you think the church should do something about that, perhaps with equal fervor as it does about abortion?
As I pointed out gun owners do not violate God's or man's law unless they use it to commit a crime. Murder (unjustified killing of another human being) is still murder (unjustified killing of another human being) no matter by what method. What exactly does the church need to do? Preach against it? How do you know that many of the protesters against these shootings are not Christians? One thing I believe we can and should do is stop talking about 'gun violence' and start talking about and removing 'people of violence'. A firearm is only as dangerous as the nut behind the trigger.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
No, the correct translation would be "Thou shall not murder." But let's assume your definition is correct: Is not abortion killing?.....or do you believe the unborn is not a human life?
You never answered or responded to this part of my comment (except to say essentially we aren't discussing abortion....a given but a comparable comparison to murder). The Catholic Church is noted for its stance against abortion as well as the death penalty. And Catholic Social Services does many good things for the community and its people. I myself have come around to getting rid of the death penalty with 2 conditions:
1. A list of crimes that must get life in prison if convicted, and
2. Life in prison actually means LIFE in prison. You leave in a body bag feet first on a stretcher.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
That is quite tragic, Ms Pelosi needs our prayers.

She got a blessing from the Pope. Does that count?

Pelosi met with Francis on Wednesday before the Mass and received a blessing, according to one of the Mass attendees. A photo released by the Vatican showed Pelosi and her husband, Paul Pelosi, greeting Francis off to the side of the basilica.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
She got a blessing from the Pope. Does that count?

Pelosi met with Francis on Wednesday before the Mass and received a blessing, according to one of the Mass attendees. A photo released by the Vatican showed Pelosi and her husband, Paul Pelosi, greeting Francis off to the side of the basilica.
Yes, she needs every blessing she can get.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Pope Francis really doesn't care at all it seems.
Pope Francis didn't give communion, other priests did who probably had no idea Nancy chose to receive. People come up, the priest is concentrating on giving the Sacred Host, and it's not like priests are given international photos of those who are not to receive. I think the Pope cares about all souls.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Pope Francis didn't give communion, other priests did who probably had no idea Nancy chose to receive. People come up, the priest is concentrating on giving the Sacred Host, and it's not like priests are given international photos of those who are not to receive. I think the Pope cares about all souls.
If Pope Francis were to clarify and make clear that Cordileone's ban applies in the Vatican I would agree. I bet however he will ignore the issue and not comment on it.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If Pope Francis were to clarify and make clear that Cordileone's ban applies in the Vatican I would agree. I bet however he will ignore the issue and not comment on it.
No, it does not apply outside of the archdiocese, but a bishop can choose to implement it in his diocese.
I think it is extremely rare for a person to be told not to receive and then go outside of the diocese to receive. As a matter of fact, it is extremely rare for a priest to publicly ban an indvidiual--I would think most priests have never done so. The priest would typically speak with the person in private and explain Church teaching, if you're going to militantly defy the teachings of the Church why be a Catholic?

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, it does not apply outside of the archdiocese, but a bishop can choose to implement it in his diocese.
I think it is extremely rare for a person to be told not to receive and then go outside of the diocese to receive. As a matter of fact, it is extremely rare for a priest to publicly ban an indvidiual--I would think most priests have never done so. The priest would typically speak with the person in private and explain Church teaching, if you're going to militantly defy the teachings of the Church why be a Catholic?

Given the nature of Nancy Pelosi and her fierce dedication to terminating children in the womb and the controversy she causes amongst Catholics through that position, it's obvious Francis knows about Cordileone and his actions towards Mrs Pelosi.

By not applying Cordileone's ban in the Vatican Pope Francis, whether he intends to or not (and I believe he intends it), has signaled he doesn't care about Mrs Pelosi's commitment to terminating babies lives. I am willing to bet Francis will not say anything about this. He'll ignore it because he doesn't care ultimately all that much about the Catholic position against abortion.

I agree with you, figures like Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden who blatantly violate the Church's standards ought not really be Catholic. They are Catholic solely because of heritage and for them the faith is not something they care about on some deep level (does anyone believe their children or their children's children will remain Catholic?).

At that point it becomes the responsibility of the Church to make the lines and limits known. Francis won't do this because he thinks it more valuable to have Pelosi and Biden nominally Catholic rather than those who are most devout. This is why he punishes people who practice the Latin Mass and ignores pro-abortion Catholic politicians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums