Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In my understanding, it's generally frowned upon in Orthodoxy to name pets after humans. It takes something away from the humanity of the name, and adds something that is not truly existing to the non-humanity of the animal. Since the saints are holy, one should not lessen the holiness of the person by giving their name to an animal. A parallel would be to name your pet "Divine Liturgy" or "Eucharist." If you would be appalled at someone who did that, or get the feeling that something like that is just not right, so it is with giving animals human and/or saints names.

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ditto with Choirfiend here that is why I named my dog after a Greek muse. On the other hand I do not know if "everyone" in the Orthodox world practices that. I personally have come across people who named their cats after the 12 Apostles....lol....and actually had around that number of cats..... Although it is a matter of preference I still think it is not appropriate to do so as the animals are part of the creation still they are not created at the image and likeness of God like humans who would rightly take their name after a saint who is human also. If you still want to name your dog after a saint give him a nick name after a saint ....lol... Greeks use a lot the last endings of their names to name pets example: Panayiotis (Panagia: Theotokos)is a name for males it can also be called Panayiotakis (akis: little one) so they use the Takis for their pets.

God bless
Philothei

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I accidentally gave my cat a saint's name. I wasn't Orthodox when I got him, and the name fit him. Plus, I have absolutely no issue with Michael's dogs' names.
I personally think each of my dog's names fit them perfectly. Oliver, whose father is english, is a spoiled rotten little english boy. Brittany, who has the same father is Oliver, is a little english lady. And Tikhon is just Tikhon.

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Rose =-yellow lab
Emma = terrier mut
Piddle = Shih Tzu

I am pretty sure that Piddle is not the name of a Saint, and I am pretty sure that Emma is not....but don't know about Rose.

And of course Tiger Lilly the cat is named after an animated character! :)

It is my opinion that God has a sense of humor and forgives us for the sometimes silly things we name our animals

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Rose =-yellow lab
Emma = terrier mut
Piddle = Shih Tzu

I am pretty sure that Piddle is not the name of a Saint, and I am pretty sure that Emma is not....but don't know about Rose.

And of course Tiger Lilly the cat is named after an animated character! :)

It is my opinion that God has a sense of humor and forgives us for the sometimes silly things we name our animals
You mean God will laugh and look with mercy upon the fact that I gave my puppy the title of "Puppyarch of All America, Canada and Ortho-dogs?"

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You mean God will laugh and look with mercy upon the fact that I gave my puppy the title of "Puppyarch of All America, Canada and Ortho-dogs?"

I do think that God is probably chuckling at that one Michael! ;)

Upvote 0

Asinner

Seeking Salvation
Jul 15, 2005
✟22,772.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
When we first became catachumens, we were having a generic chat with our priest-monk and the topic of cats came up. Upon being told that my mil had named her cats after her uncle and aunt, our priest looked a bit like this
------------>:o So, if he was disturbed at the thought of naming one's pet after a regular human, I am certain he would be outraged and insulted to hear it was named after a saint.

Don't they eat cats and dogs in Greece?:yum:

Love,
Christina

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When we first became catachumens, we were having a generic chat with our priest-monk and the topic of cats came up. Upon being told that my mil had named her cats after her uncle and aunt, our priest looked a bit like this
------------>:o So, if he was disturbed at the thought of naming one's pet after a regular human, I am certain he would be outraged and insulted to hear it was named after a saint.

Don't they eat cats and dogs in Greece?:yum:

Love,
Christina
Luckily priests are not infallible.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do think that God is probably chuckling at that one Michael! ;)
The very fact that God has not struck me off the earth yet with a bolt of lightning is proof that he has a sense of humor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Im with Asinner and Michael. I don't think it's a big deal, although culture should be taken into account. I mean, we can philosophize all we want about if this dehumanizes that or if that humanizes that... but in the end, it's really all about what's going on in your head. I mean, anyway, there is not a dog owner in America (unless they are not one by choice) that does not humanize their pet in some fashion.

I actually think it can be beautiful to name your dog Silouan and I am SURE that there are saints who would be honored by such because they loved animals so much.

I think we also need to think about it this way: Dogs were always considered filthy animals and to have one in your house was dispicable and this still carries in some parts of many cultures. Muslims (at least from certain cultures) consider dogs to be filthy to such a point that they are believed to scare away the angels. However, in the US (and in many other 'western" countries) we treat our pets (especially dogs and cats) like a member of the family.

Sometimes I think Orthodox (and I truly do not mean anyone here, even those who advised against naming animals after Saints) forget that a lot (most) of our traditions are heavily cultural and are not canons but yet they refer to them as if they were.

I feel sorry for the priest or monk that gets offended so easily.

John

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes, traditions are shaped by the religion surrounding the culture from which they come. One should also not assume that another culture's traditions are wrong just because they are at odds with our own culture's traditions--or our own opinions and will. On the contrary--I believe our culture is disordered and vastly wrong in most cases. Sometimes there are important truths to be learned from some "cultural" traditions if we would only open our eyes to see them--and not simply disregard them as frivolous.

John, to say that the real truth lies in whatever is going on in someone's head is very American. It's denying the implications of a REAL action because of a immaterial INTENTION. Another place where this plays out is in denominational Christianity. The REAL action of the Eucharist is denied because of a immaterial INTENTION; whatever the person thinks is what it is to them. Etc.

I'm now obviously expanding this beyond the original issue at hand, but I think it applies here and is important to consider in many other situations---especially if you are American and have been entirely shaped by Western culture, and even more especially if you happen to have come to Orthodoxy in your adult years, as your opinions and ethos did not have the chance to develop surrounded by the Orthodox ethos--including traditions. My two cents.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.