Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have noticed that such churches only contain geographical references (like "Smallville Church of Christ" or "Gotham Heights Church of Christ"). Why don't they use verbage like "First", "Calvary", "Trinity", "Faith", or "Grace" in their names?

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have noticed that such churches only contain geographical references (like "Smallville Church of Christ" or "Gotham Heights Church of Christ"). Why don't they use verbage like "First", "Calvary", "Trinity", "Faith", or "Grace" in their names?

No authority in scripture to use such terms.

There is authority to use church of Christ and just add the city name to it, example verses being:
Romans 16:16 - churches of Christ are mentioned not trinity church or first baptist church

Revelations 2 and following - every church being written to is being mentioned by city name

1 Corinthians 16:1 and 19 - churches mentioned by city name, however, they are still churches of Christ. To be more specific WHICH church of Christ, you would mention where they are, hence example "first street church of Christ" or "Galatian church of Christ"

Matthew 16:18-19/ Acts 2 - It is Christs church and therefore He has ownership of it. Which gives authority to call it church of Christ and not Grace church or Methodist church.

In any case, “The church of Christ” is not a denominational title that describes a religious institution established by men. Rather, it is the collective reference to the people of God in the world, people who follow the New Testament teaching regarding the church.

Upvote 0

Brokenhill

Praise God, i'm satisifed.
Jul 26, 2015
Arizona
✟19,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The user above answered your question, but I did want to note that "church of Christ" is not the ONLY scriptural name that can be used...the following are also in the NT:

"church of God" - Acts 20:28, 1 Corinthians 1:2, and Galatians 1:13
"church of the living God" - 1 Tim. 3:15
"churches of God in Christ Jesus" - 1 Thes. 2:14
"church of the firstborn" - Hebrews 12:23
just "the church" - Acts 13:1
"Christ's body/the body of Christ/the body" - 1 Cor. 12:27, Romans 12:5

All of these are acceptable titles. The most important thing is that we're defined the same way that scriptures defines us...by the things we teach and practice.

The reason we all use "church of Christ" is because what better way to define yourself except to specify that Jesus is our head/center, and also it makes it easier to distinguish us from other denominations/groups. If some of us used "church of God" and others not, then it might take longer to figure out if the sought after theology is present in that group.

Reactions: DerSchweik
Upvote 0