Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for taking the time to share what you think :) about what I offered.
Maybe N. Korea would be more amenable to an agreement if the agreement were the same for both sides.

I mean, we think we're all nice and good people, although we are the most murderous nation on the face of the planet, and we don't want N. Korea to have nuclear capabilities for fear of what they might do to us.

NK has nuclear weapons. Every intelligence agency on the planet believes this to be true.
Once, I heard it is possible to use TNT to fake a nuke test. What do you think?

Firstly, NK is never giving up nukes, they can't. To give up nukes would be to give up their own sovereignty because the West would just invade them. They know it, we know it, everyone knows it.
Well, South Korea has done pretty good, and they have not been invaded.

So, why to you find that it is an automatic that North Korea would be invaded? And how about China being their ally? Wouldn't this be a bit of a problem, including since ones seem to know China has not used TNT? They threw away a lot of soldiers at the border during the Korean War, I have been told.

They already have nukes, their military is inferior, they will NEVER EVER USE NUKES. So who cares? I'm being serious.
But they flew a missile into sovereign Japanese territory and landed it maybe close to shore, didn't they?

For as long as living memory, NK has remained the same.
But I read that Kim has been playing American videos and/or music.

I can speak for them: They remember Lybia.

And they will never forget it.
Understood . . . thank you :)

Someone might be able to say "I told you so." But which someone?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Thats nothing new, either. His father was a huge western movie fan.

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Once, I heard it is possible to use TNT to fake a nuke test. What do you think?

Very very impossible. You can't fake a nuclear bomb, or put another way, setting aside measuring for radiation, the amount of TNT you'd need to even approach the explosive yield of a nuclear bomb can literally be measured in millions of tons. That is what the measurement is for a nuclear bomb, "Kilotons and Megatons".

The atomic bombs dropped in WWII were around 20 kilo tons. That means 20 thousand tonnes of TNT. So, imagine 20,000 cars filled with TNT and that is how much TNT you would need to "fake" a WWII nuke.

Modern nukes are in the Megatons meaning millions of tonnes. So no... it is quite impossible to fake a nuke using TNT

Well, South Korea has done pretty good, and they have not been invaded.
South Korea has the full might of the US military backing them up. So they don't need nuclear weapons nor do they need to fear invasion for the same reason.

So, why to you find that it is an automatic that North Korea would be invaded? And how about China being their ally? Wouldn't this be a bit of a problem, including since ones seem to know China has not used TNT? They threw away a lot of soldiers at the border during the Korean War, I have been told.
THe world wide political landscape has changed considerably since China was full-on-bore communist

Truth is, China is a hybrid Capitalist / Communist country... In fact, probably better to think of them as Capitalist / Totalitarian now...

My point??? NK can't depend on China to back them up the same way that South Korea can depend on the US to back them up. In fact, who knows, China might get so annoyed at NK that they invade them... Who knows. The point is, when you are a sovereign power you just don't take the chance when you don't have to. It is better to have your own big stick you can wield rather than be beholden to someone else with a big stick to protect you. Given US and China economic ties, if I were the NK leader, no way I would trust China to go to war with the most powerful nation on Earth just to protect little-ol-me...

Not to mention the fact that the US president is on record several times over the past year threatening your country with nuclear annihilation...

But they flew a missile into sovereign Japanese territory and landed it maybe close to shore, didn't they?

THis is just sabor rattling. NOtice no one was hurt, no one was killed... It is just posturing, something nation states do from time to time to appear strong.

US and USSR often did flybys over each other's Naval ships or intruding into the "edge" of each other's air space just to kinda thump their chests at each other. But at no time did they actually do anythign that could full on start a war.

IN the West, we have a fair amount of arrogance, we naturally assume that the reason why these dictators are the way that they are is because they don't know any better.

Not true. Almost all of these dictators are in fact educating in Western Schools... and good western schools at that. Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Cambridge, Duke....

If we want to change these countries, it's not about educating the leaders. No. Truth is, it is about their people. Get the people addicted to Starbucks and McDonalds and I-phones ... get them fat and happy and that is how you instigate change. Freedom thrives on Capitalism and vice versa. Get them to a Capitalistic economic model and you make it easier to instigate/foster change...

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, imagine 20,000 cars filled with TNT and that is how much TNT you would need to "fake" a WWII nuke.
I know it's not the point, but I imagine they might be a little short on cars for packaging this amount of TNT.

Modern nukes are in the Megatons meaning millions of tonnes. So no... it is quite impossible to fake a nuke using TNT
I guess, also, ones have the ability to measure how strong an underground explosion is. But I did hear on . . . er, TV, I think . . . the consid-er-ation that North Korea could have done a fake blast. But I heard it only once; there might have been a reason why it did not get repeated.

South Korea has the full might of the US military backing them up. So they don't need nuclear weapons nor do they need to fear invasion for the same reason.
My point is that if South Korea has done well, by being allies with the United States, I suppose North Korea could consider doing the same.

However, their way of doing things has resulted in starving something like half to three and a half million people to death, I have been told. So, leadership capable of this might not have the character with capability to negotiate an alliance with the U.S.

Thank you for taking the time to explain things and how you see things.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The worse thing is it's probably not a job you can say "no" to. I note his interpreter has also been sent off to a camp.

Imagine being an interpreter and being told you were going to interpret for Kim at a summit with Trump.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Follow-up on the failed summit:

North Korea tells U.S. not to ignore year-end deadline on Trump-Kim friendship: KCNA

North Korea said on Sunday there has been no progress in the North Korea-United States relations, and hostilities that could lead to an exchange of fire have continued, according to North Korea’s state news agency KCNA.

In a statement under the name of Chairman of the Korea-Asia Pacific Peace Committee Kim Yong Chol, KCNA said that it would be mistaken for the United States to ignore a year-end deadline on U.S. President Donald Trump’s and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s “close personal relations.”

Kim Jong Un has set an end-of-the-year deadline for denuclearization talks with Washington.

Kim Yong Chol was the nuclear talks envoy to the United States for the discussions between the two countries before the second summit between Trump and Kim Jong Un in Vietnam in February ended in failure.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There was also an unnamed source that said Kim lost best-two-out-of-three game of Rock Paper Scissors.

Probably Donald himself... there's no victory too small or insignificant for him to manufacture.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status