Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I generally understand myself to be a Christian and recently have gotten baptized. But I can still doubt my salvation. Two reasons: One, I have religious obsessive compulsive disorder. Christians with religious OCD tend to doubt their salvation. Two: a mystifying assertion that has been made by someone in response to some of my posts.

In my posts, I have said things like, "If I sincerely give my life to Christ, I'm saved, right?" But someone has responded with assertions such as: "You are not depending on Christ for your salvation. You are depending on you. You are making your sincerity the key to your salvation. But the key is not you, but the Savior." And things which in effect amount to: "You are you-oriented, not Christ-oriented."

I keep thinking about these assertions. They mystify me.

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi Bob. It sounds like it would be best if you limited your posting to fellowship type threads. Stay away from the debate threads remembering those other posters are just strangers and dealing with their own misguided ideas and behaviors.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I generally understand myself to be a Christian and recently have gotten baptized. But I can still doubt my salvation. Two reasons: One, I have religious obsessive compulsive disorder. Christians with religious OCD tend to doubt their salvation. Two: a mystifying assertion that has been made by someone in response to some of my posts.

In my posts, I have said things like, "If I sincerely give my life to Christ, I'm saved, right?" But someone has responded with assertions such as: "You are not depending on Christ for your salvation. You are depending on you. You are making your sincerity the key to your salvation. But the key is not you, but the Savior." And things which in effect amount to: "You are you-oriented, not Christ-oriented."

I keep thinking about these assertions. They mystify me.
Have you ever seen your sin and wept begging God for forgiveness? If not, seek it with all your being because once you’ve been through that, you’ll know you’re saved.

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The assertions of others may not always be true or helpful. This applies to all things and not just religion.

One would expect a person new or immature in faith to have doubts and be in need of assurance. However, the best assurance comes directly from the Spirit of God.

We are told that we are able to quench the Spirit so we may deduce that it is also possible to have the Spirit work more effectively in us as well.

Galatians 5 describes the life of a Christian facing two choices walking by the flesh or walking by the Spirit. As we grow in our knowledge of the word of god, we draw nearer him who saved us. This path of maturity has as a result an increasing assurance of salvation.

There are many books about walking by the Spirit, here is a link to a free one;

http://christianpioneer.com/ebooks/wbts.pdf PDF
Christian Pioneer - Current blog Web pages for cell phones

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Since you have been baptized, Romans 6 tells us how we are under grace & servants of righteousness ( read all of course & focus on verses 15-18). St. Paul later sums this up as to how we live this out in life ( see Romans 13:8-10).

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bob, if you personally tell the Lord Jesus you want Him to be Lord of your life, and make Him your best Friend --walking and talking with Him all day, you will find the "peace of God, that passeth all understanding", as God tells us. Salvation and eternal blessing is NOT in doing things, but in trusting the Lord Jesus.
Meditate on John 14, friend!

Upvote 0