Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That is cool :)

is it mostly icons and myrrh that have this aromatic odor; is there mention of Saints having the "odor of sanctity"? (not sure if you also use that term). What about relics?

I've heard a lot of this sort of thing happening (while from icons, or during prayer) though it's never happened to me. I like reading the stories though :)

I wish the icons would come to Canada as well!

Upvote 0

Greg the byzantine

have mercy on me
Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
is it mostly icons and myrrh that have this aromatic odor; is there mention of Saints having the "odor of sanctity"? (not sure if you also use that term). What about relics?

Yes actually. There are a number of saints whose relics gush myrrh.

Two that I can think off the top of my head are St. Nicholas of Myra (Santa Clause) and St. Demetrios the Great Martyr. There are many more, I just can't think of them.

Upvote 0

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yes actually. There are a number of saints whose relics gush myrrh.

Two that I can think off the top of my head are St. Nicholas of Myra (Santa Clause) and St. Demetrios the Great Martyr. There are many more, I just can't think of them.

My parish's patron saint is Saint Demetrius, and this year in honor of our 100th Anniversary, we as a parish, had the honor of being annointed with oil from the Holy Saint's Relics on our parish's patronal feast day! The fragrance was absolutely delightful!!

And last Sunday, in honor of the feast of Saint Andrew (patron saint of Ukraine), we were annointed with oil from the relics of Saint Andrew. :)

Upvote 0

Nichole

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2007
✟23,232.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
St. Nicholas of Myra's relics actually exudes manna. I received a bottle of it from the Basilica San Nicola in Bari, Italy where his relics are kept. There is no smell or scent, which made some to believe that I was sent a bottle of water. Which is sad if true.

This is the Basilica's website. You can do a virtual tour of the church, etc.

http://www.basilicasannicola.it/home/index.php?lingua_id=2

Upvote 0