• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Myers-Briggs Personality Types and Asperger's

jackmt

Dec 10, 2011
Missoula Montana
✟16,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am an Aspie with the personality type INTP. Shortly after I found out I had Asperger's and had studied up on it for awhile, I was in a bookstore and picked up a book on the types. When I read my type I thought "That sounds like Asperger's." I did some research and dicovered that INTJ is the most common type in Aspies, with INTP being second. Combined, I believe the two types represent over 80% of Aspies. Most of the rest are INxx, followed by Ixxx. There are extremely few Aspies with Exxx but I personally know one. (I think he is only Half-Asperger's! ;))

INxx represent less than 4% of the population. So less than 10 in 250 people are INxx. About 1 in 250 people are Aspies. 1 in 88 people are on the spectrum, with 75% of them on the so-called "mild" end. If we take everyone on the spectrum into account, more than 40% of INxxs are on the spectrum, and more than 1 in 10 are Aspies. (Could someone check my math please?) This seems very significant to me and I am very curious.

Could someone start a survey about Aspies and personality type? I thought we had one here a while ago but I can't find it. Maybe it's on "wrongplanet."

Meanwhile, would everyone mind posting their type?

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I vacillate between INTP & INTJ, depending on the day. I guess that makes me an INT[in PJs...!]

I heard that these two are common for intellectually-gifted NTs, too, and that they shared other traits with us. It is like we are stuck in "nerd" mode and they can turn it off & on.
nerd.gif

Upvote 0
B

BlueLioness

I am an Aspie with the personality type INTP. Shortly after I found out I had Asperger's and had studied up on it for awhile, I was in a bookstore and picked up a book on the types. When I read my type I thought "That sounds like Asperger's." I did some research and dicovered that INTJ is the most common type in Aspies, with INTP being second. Combined, I believe the two types represent over 80% of Aspies. Most of the rest are INxx, followed by Ixxx. There are extremely few Aspies with Exxx but I personally know one. (I think he is only Half-Asperger's! ;))

INxx represent less than 4% of the population. So less than 10 in 250 people are INxx. About 1 in 250 people are Aspies (1 in 88 people are on the spectrum, with 75% of them on the so-called "mild" end.) So, more than 1 in 10 INxx's are Aspies. (Could someone check my math please?) How many of the rest of those on the spectrum are INxx's? This seems very significant to me and I am very curious.

Could someone start a survey about Aspies and personality type? I thought we had one here a while ago but I can't find it. Maybe it's on "wrongplanet."

Yeah yeah yeah. I took that test three years ago and the results were INFJ. They are called the Protectors.

Upvote 0

jackmt

Dec 10, 2011
Missoula Montana
✟16,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is interesting, but I am not familiar with the abbreviations and definitions of these personality types. Can you give me a brief introduction to Myers-Briggs personality types?

RCF

Meyers-Briggs was a daughter-in-law, I believe, of Carl Jung. The types are based on Jung's psychology of personality. He believed that everyone's personality is determined in large part on the basis of where they land on 4 continua: Introvert/Extrovert; Sensing/INtuitive; Thinking/Feeling; Judging/Perceiving. The best book I know of on the subject is called "Please Understand Me." I can't recall the author.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me anything.

Upvote 0

jackmt

Dec 10, 2011
Missoula Montana
✟16,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
INTJ

If 4% of everyone is INxx, what % are INTx?

Each INxx is less than 1% of the general population. I never heard how much less, though. So are all 4 less than 3%? 2%? How much would that skew the numbers?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ecclectic79

Prayer in Breakbeat
Mar 4, 2013
United States
✟16,252.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm close to the center on a lot of these poles so I tend to morph. First time I took it I was INTJ, other times INTP or ISTJ. Not that I'm unfeeling by any extent - I've been an artist and love music, the more bone-chillingly deep and hyper-real the emotion the better, its just that they tend to be cerebrally chained and existential. Suppose I'd call it 'geek moods' :p.

Upvote 0
B

BlueLioness

INxx represent less than 4% of the population. So less than 10 in 250 people are INxx. About 1 in 250 people are Aspies. 1 in 88 people are on the spectrum, with 75% of them on the so-called "mild" end. If we take everyone on the spectrum into account, more than 40% of INxxs are on the spectrum, and more than 1 in 10 are Aspies. (Could someone check my math please?) This seems very significant to me and I am very curious.

Yeah I took that test too, it said I was an INFJ. I heard it's rare too.

The 'I" means Introverted, the F means Feeling and the J means Judging. I forget what the N means.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ludicrus

Aug 25, 2013
✟15,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
INTJ here. 1% of the female population.

I've gotten better though, LOL!

I self-tested on the Aspie test and scored 37.

I already have PTSD and am bipolar and when after all of these years of therapy, there were still a lot of unanswered questions, they all found their answers in Aspie!!! For the first time since I've become a Christian I am totally content and am comfortable in my own skin. My frustration levels have also dropped because I'm not fighting against some unknown now.

God is sooo good!

Upvote 0

ValorWoman4Jesus

Site Supporter
Oct 25, 2013
USA
✟50,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it is very interesting that you would discuss the Meyers Briggs as it pertains to Aspies. I actually have Pervasive Developmental Disorder, which is the most high functioning form of autism. I consider myself a hybrid. My personality type is INFP, but is slowly becomming INFJ I think. I long for things to be in order, but my mind is in chaos and I am a packrat, so I place things in piles or in boxes. Sometimes I call myself a damaged INFJ. I long for things to be presented in an understandable way for someone with my background like in a class or given assignment, yet I struggle to organize myself. I struggle with sloppiness. But enough of that.

I want to discuss the stregths of being an INFP. I am considered an idealist or a dreamer, but also a healer. I do deep down long to heal people and their relationships, so I have gone back to school to be a counselor. I consider myself an emotional intellectual or an intelligent feeler. My type fluctuates actually between INFP, INFJ and ISFP. I am both a scientist and an artist at the same time. I also have the spiritual gift of Mercy. I long to relate to people and help them through their sorrows (intoverted feeler) and other times I can be very analytic (Introverted thinker) or an artist (Introverted Sensing). My aim though since I long to be a hero is to be an ENFJ (or Extroverted Judging). I wish to become a leader and an influencer. I long to be a peacemaker and minister of reconciliation as well as a motivational speaker. My wanting to be a counselor and a therapist goes in between my being and artist and a hero.

I am very shy, but I am not afraid of public speaking since I know that I have their attention. It is when I don't have people's attention already that I am afraid to interrupt them from what they are doing out of fear of a negative interaction. This is where being on the spectrum affects me. I lack knowledge of social cues. I am in introvert in person, but more extroverted online like I am doing now, talking like I would to people face to face if I was more brave. I have a great fear of people. I therefore am also fearful of sharing my problems, fears and hopes because people might be less than sympathetic, which sadly in many cases they have. I can't help it if I think differently than most people. If I was not shy, I would probably make way more faux passes than I already do, since I am frank about things more like 6 year old kids are. KWIM? I tell it like it is or would if I wasn't so afraid. I feel like I have to be fake and pretend I'm doing great at work for example, but then I don't feel like I am being me.

Anyway, I think my fear of people is actually a great love for them in reverse since I used to be petrified of trains, thunderstorms and dogs but now love all three very much! I pray that God turns my fears of humans around in due time too.

I am still struggling to find my identity and role in God's Kingdom or the universal Church. This would explain the personality shifts. My friends tell me a have a general side and a gidget side. The general is more like a (Judging) and Gidget is a sagiune (Intuitive Perceiving) This is further evidence that I must have psychological damage somewhere. I long to be carefree like a hippee into sweet things like smiley faces and soft dogs, but because I am aware of the harsh realities of life, I feel like I have to be on guard, since no-one else will look out for me. I can be very demanding at home. I struggle with patience. I wish to be the exact opposite of that though, except being a hero requires some serious critical thinking skills.

Emphasizing with others actually requires keeping your own feelings out of the conversation and sometimes having to think about the personality, values or mood or interests of someone who is different than yourself. I wish to be a peacemaker, but I will have to empathize with people I disagree with in order to be effective, lest I become biased. I know I am drawing this out, but I am an analyst and so sometimes I can get into it. I also turn to logic or thinking during a crisis. I will think of the truths that might contradict my fears i.e. having pain somewhere, but thinking about why it is not what I fear using facts that comfort me while I wait for the doctor's report. Okay, nuff said. I hope to get some feedback. Psychology is my favorite subject!

Upvote 0