My wife wants a divorce

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
hi there. first off, i just want to say that i'm sorry for what you're experiencing right now. i truly am. i'm glad to see that you are finding light and reaching out to God in this time, even though it's probably too difficult for words.
also, it's very commendable that you admitted to making some mistakes. the fact that you're aware of them and owned up to them as well as tried to apologize for them shows that with your whole heart you are trying to save your marriage. the last thing you want to do is wonder, when all is said and done, "did i do everything in my power." you are. dont be too hard on yourself.

i also want to add a little bit of personal experience. when i was with my exboyfriend of 3 years (i'm now married...) i was incredibly unhappy towards the end. i felt like i was silently drowning. it wasnt all his fault but we were simply not compatible and i needed a way out. all it took was one man to show interest in me and suddenly i had the confidence to leave. not because i needed attention. i didnt want to be with the other man or have anything to do with him. it was just simply reassurance that i could find someone apart from my boyfriend, whom i wasnt happy with, and i suddenly had the courage to pack it up...what i'm saying is that it is the one guy she's "been talking to."

with that said, you've done everything in your power to salvage what you can, now you need to take preventative measures. prepare for the worst. you do not have the power to save your marriage. you do not have the power to overcome a hardened heart. only God can do that. all you can do is pray for her and protect yourself.

i'm lifting you up in prayer. God bless.

Right....its a confidence thing. When people get restless they have a fear to let go with this hand until they are convinced there will be something to grab the other hand. By having a member of the opposite sex, regardless intentions, show an open ear its like a flood of confidence and relief. It totally distorts reality.

Upvote 0

ChaserOfGod

Dec 26, 2010
✟9,609.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm a police officer. I have to be careful at what I do as far as this other guy. I've looked into cell phone records and there is nothing very off about it. I'm sure most of it is via email from her work. I believe that she is gaining her strength from this other relationship and getting bad advice from her friends. I do believe that she hasn't acted on this relationship although she wants to. I'm not sure there is much I can do right now to stand in the way of this relationship because she has cut off all communication from me, isn't living with me, and works all day everyday now to escape this.

Do you live in a state where you could file a law suite against this other guy for loss of affection from your wife? I would check into that. That might be just enough to push the guy away.

Upvote 0
P

Ps145

But right now your wife is under deception, likely she is being fed by some friends too who are saying "oh whatever your heart says sweety" For some reason in my experience women do not hold each other accountable on relational issues like this....sure on adultery that may speak up, but stuff like this....her friends will be NOT for the marriage...they will be for whatever her "heart" says, even if its deceived.

Forgive me, but I need to modify this statement.

Right now your wife is under attack, and this is war.

Ephesians 6:10-18 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against (wives or husbands), but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith you shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Matthew 19:14-21 And when they had come to the multitude, a man came to Him, kneeling down to Him and saying, “Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic and suffers severely; for he often falls into the fire and often into the water. So I brought him to Your disciples, but they could not cure him.” Then Jesus answered and said, “O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him here to Me.” And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him; and the child was cured from that very hour.

Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, “Why could we not cast it out?” So Jesus said to them, “Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”

You will be tempted, and even counseled to use the methods of man. But God says if you use His methods He WILL answer your prayers.

Jesus doesn't make empty promises. People pray empty prayers. So which is the problem? If any person gives any counsel that conflicts with scripture, ignore it.

Matthew 21:18- Now in the morning, as He returned to the city, He was hungry. And seeing a fig tree by the road, He came to it and found nothing on it but leaves, and said to it, “Let no fruit grow on you ever again.” Immediately the fig tree withered away. And when the disciples saw it, they marveled, saying, “How did the fig tree wither away so soon?” So Jesus answered and said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ it will be done. And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive

James 4:1-11 Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures. Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”? But He gives more grace. Therefore He says:

“ God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble.”

Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.

Do not speak evil of one another, brethren.

The truth is, you need to go hard and fast after this IN PRAYER, armed with the full armor of God, and not listen to the far too often false counsel of what people think or feel. God wants us to know, not think. We know, based on what His word says. His word says pray without ceasing with thanksgiving in your heart.

• Prayers
Reactions: Stout
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Admitting that I have had problems connecting with her by no fault of her own and that I wanted to get some help in doing so.

I recommend to go get this help as soon as you can. It will help you through this, however it plays out in the end. If she stays, she has a better man than before. If she leaves, someone else will have a better man.

Best wishes and prayers from someone who is going through a difficult situation as well.

Upvote 0

AirForceTeacher

King of the Wicker People
Feb 23, 2004
The south
✟20,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello,

I am new here and just wanted to reach out to some other Christians who may know a bit about the pain I am going through. My wife and I have been together for 10 years. Married for 4. We met at a Christian Camp and our relationship was founded on God. We had everything in common and were best friends. As time went on our passion kind of subsided and the emotional connection between the two of us ceased to exist. Our relationships with God fell further and further out of our lives. We had nothing but a business partnership and a marriage license. Most of it was my fault as the man I'm supposed to lead spiritually and I didn't. I did not hear her subtle cries for attention and the emotional connection that all women need. I was too selfish and blind. I was basically too immature to be married.
About a month ago now my wife told me that she did not want to be married anymore. She 100% wanted a divorce. As a christian, I never saw this coming because I thought divorce was never an option. Also she never suggested we get help or cried out to anyone in our lives for help. She told me in 15 minutes how our 10 year relationship was over. She said that she could see herself raising children with someone else. She broke my heart. She said that we had to move on with the logistics of the situation and that she didn't want to talk about anything involving counseling or fixing our marriage at all. I tried sending flowers, cards, letters, jewelry. I tried going to her in the middle of the night. She coldly said stop all of this as I don't want it and will refuse delivery. Again we need to talk about logistics.
I wrote her back and said that I would respect her wishes but I would fight the divorce because I don't believe in it. I said I was working on my own emotional attachment issues and would love a chance to talk to her and tell her how God has called me back to Himself through this rock bottom experience. She remains cold and doesn't want to talk about it at all to me or anyone else. No one knew, not her mom or sister. She will only engage them in small talk and nothing of substance. God has woke me up from my spiritual abandonment by taking the one thing in this world that I really held dear. The sadness in my soul is so deep that it is almost unbearable. I am seeking God fervently in this valley because He is literally all I have. I have a good job and a good family but nothing else matters and my thoughts are all consumed in this. I know God has a plan here and I am trying to see through the pain but everything is so foggy that it is hard to know what is God's will here and what is my will. Please pray for this stranger who is in desperate need of some intervention in his life.

Thanks for reading.

*yankfan*? Well, I'll give my advice anyway ... ;)

Get thee to DivorceCare as soon as you can. There's something very steadying about being in a room full of people going through the same thing as you. It helps you feel normal again and less awful about yourself.

I've been exactly there - the "friend", the emails, the "he just listens to me - the way I always wanted you to." It's a hard process, but you can get through it! Don't give in to hating her or the other guy, but don't let yourse; fbe too soft. Pray constantly about every decision, and make the decision you think God wants you to make, not just what is financially or legally most advantageous.

Yes, I said legally. If you haven't talked to a lawyer, you need to soon. An old friend told me when it all began "This is not an emotional transaction, this is a business transaction. Treat it as such."

Upvote 0

FoldingAces

Mar 18, 2011
✟7,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yah, I am trying. She's already started her own separate checking account. I know that she was a devoted Christ follower at one point but now that seems as if it is just a thing of the past. She has so much to lose by this even further than just me that the rush into this makes no sense. She says she's been thinking about it for months but never brought it up. Never told her parents or any of our christian friends. Even still she is only talking to her worldly friends because she knows that's the only place she's gonna get support for this decision. There are many holes in her story and the fact that she initiated sex the day before this happened and her actions didn't really dictate this type of thing is still so confusing to me. If she had ever said to me that we were in serious trouble and that I wasn't meeting her needs, I would have jumped at the chance to try and get some help to fix it. I think she knows that too. I think part of this is her just "not wanting to be married anymore". Not necessarily me, just anyone. Just seems so incredibly shortsighted and immature to me.

O my gosh man...I have read your story, and it is so scary close to my situation right now...I am in compete AWE! Before my wife filed for divorce, she initiated sex too...which was very uncommon between us. I am not divorced yet, and I am still praying for my miracle. I'm sorry that you are going through this. Cause I know exactly what you are going through. We even have an awesome 2.5 year old son out of this, and its just going to be hard on him because he loves us both so much. He doesn't deserve this. He deserves to see Christ glorified through the forgiveness and reconciliation in our marriage.

Praying for you brother.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

citizenthom

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.
Nov 10, 2009
✟12,912.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First of all, shut out all these voices telling you just to roll over and accept your "fate." Not fighting for your marriage is what got you into this situation in the first place, as you have acknowledged. Your wife is 100% in the wrong to ask for a divorce when you have given her no grounds to do so; but you still owe it to yourself and to God to try to save your marriage. You will never forgive yourself if you just roll over here.

Also shut out the voices telling you to overreact to the male companion. She has already told you she has not committed adultery--not to say her using another man for companionship is right, just that it is not the same thing. You are a police officer; you know that in domestic situations such things can escalate quickly from molehills to mountains. Don't get caught up in it.

There is only one situation in which we are to allow our spouses to leave without a fight: when one spouse leaves the church and that spouse wants a divorce. You need to take this situation to your pastor and ask him to intervene. That is step #1. From there a few church elders (or more appropriately, married ladies within the church) should be brought in. And finally, if your church follows the Biblical model, she should be made to face the congregation with her sin. If she persists in her sin then, she is as a stranger to you in regards to the church; and then you may treat her as a non-Christian spouse seeking a divorce.

Finally, while I cannot give you legal advice (unless you happen to be in Virginia and want to PM me), a word of information: she needs grounds to get a divorce for cause. It does not sound like you have given her any. If you do not want to "agree" to a divorce, you are under no obligation to do so, and in fact you should not. Do not sign anything she brings to you to sign; and if things break down to the point where she leaves the church just to leave you, get a lawyer.

Upvote 0

martinaidung

Mar 25, 2011
✟7,626.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
my dear brother,i am a woman who have done the same,my husband prayed 4 me at all times,ask god to restore love in ur marriage,she is going thru some tots u cannot farthom,read power of a praying husband by stormie omartian,u shld knw Gods stand on divorce,dont give up on her.God is faithful

Upvote 0

marksaysay

Mar 27, 2011
✟15,309.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There is only one situation in which we are to allow our spouses to leave without a fight: when one spouse leaves the church and that spouse wants a divorce. You need to take this situation to your pastor and ask him to intervene. That is step #1. From there a few church elders (or more appropriately, married ladies within the church) should be brought in. And finally, if your church follows the Biblical model, she should be made to face the congregation with her sin. If she persists in her sin then, she is as a stranger to you in regards to the church; and then you may treat her as a non-Christian spouse seeking a divorce.

FYI, you can find this in Matthew 18:15-17.

I could've almost started this thread. It seems just like my situation. I followed this plan exactly and my pastor actually commended me for doing so until I asked him to do what verse 17 suggested about the church. He refused to address her spiritual situation although he and I had had some atlength discussions about how evident it was that she had fallen away. He asked her about the divorce and whether or not she was sure this was what she wanted, but nothing about her spiritual condition. I ended up leaving the church recently because I couldn't deal with the fact that no one, including the pastor, wanted to act on what God's word clearly teaches.

I would advise you to take this approach as it is spelled out in scripture. If you get resistance from your church, I would think carefully about finding a church that upholds God's word. Yes, God is ultimately in control, but the church also has a certain responsibility. I wish you the best.

Upvote 0

LoveReigns

Apr 18, 2011
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The truth is, you need to go hard and fast after this IN PRAYER, armed with the full armor of God, and not listen to the far too often false counsel of what people think or feel. God wants us to know, not think. We know, based on what His word says. His word says pray without ceasing with thanksgiving in your heart.

I need to personally thank you Ps145 because I am in a similar situation. Husband has moved out since Mar 2nd. As cold hearted as the situation, unfortunately, the original post mentions of his wife...

Ps145- i was just praying today and repenting of my negative thoughts of disappointment and hopelessness...and praying for Him to renew my hope and heart. i stumbled upon your reply in this thread for a reason. I have been praying almost the whole day of everyday since about 3 days after he left. I have even pages upon pages I have relentlessly written my prayers... today is the first day i have pretty much not prayed at all.

I must add... 2 weeks before my husband left, I became a Christian.

Yankfan212, i am so sorry for what you are going through, i feel your hurt, but I have to go with Ps145 and say pray!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tejas73

Apr 15, 2012
✟15,111.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I am new here and just wanted to reach out to some other Christians who may know a bit about the pain I am going through. My wife and I have been together for 10 years. Married for 4. We met at a Christian Camp and our relationship was founded on God. We had everything in common and were best friends. As time went on our passion kind of subsided and the emotional connection between the two of us ceased to exist. Our relationships with God fell further and further out of our lives. We had nothing but a business partnership and a marriage license. Most of it was my fault as the man I'm supposed to lead spiritually and I didn't. I did not hear her subtle cries for attention and the emotional connection that all women need. I was too selfish and blind. I was basically too immature to be married.
About a month ago now my wife told me that she did not want to be married anymore. She 100% wanted a divorce. As a christian, I never saw this coming because I thought divorce was never an option. Also she never suggested we get help or cried out to anyone in our lives for help. She told me in 15 minutes how our 10 year relationship was over. She said that she could see herself raising children with someone else. She broke my heart. She said that we had to move on with the logistics of the situation and that she didn't want to talk about anything involving counseling or fixing our marriage at all. I tried sending flowers, cards, letters, jewelry. I tried going to her in the middle of the night. She coldly said stop all of this as I don't want it and will refuse delivery. Again we need to talk about logistics.
I wrote her back and said that I would respect her wishes but I would fight the divorce because I don't believe in it. I said I was working on my own emotional attachment issues and would love a chance to talk to her and tell her how God has called me back to Himself through this rock bottom experience. She remains cold and doesn't want to talk about it at all to me or anyone else. No one knew, not her mom or sister. She will only engage them in small talk and nothing of substance. God has woke me up from my spiritual abandonment by taking the one thing in this world that I really held dear. The sadness in my soul is so deep that it is almost unbearable. I am seeking God fervently in this valley because He is literally all I have. I have a good job and a good family but nothing else matters and my thoughts are all consumed in this. I know God has a plan here and I am trying to see through the pain but everything is so foggy that it is hard to know what is God's will here and what is my will. Please pray for this stranger who is in desperate need of some intervention in his life.

Thanks for reading.
I have the exactly the same situation Did you get any feedback

Upvote 0

pappastratos

May 10, 2011
Alabama,,,very close to paradise !
✟15,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
RED FLAGS
1.As time went on our passion kind of subsided and the emotional connection between the two of us ceased to exist
2.About a month ago now my wife told me that she did not want to be married anymore. She 100% wanted a divorce.
3.She said that she could see herself raising children with someone else.

Sorry dude, she is already seeing someone else. not what you want to hear,,,,

give her space, quit contacting her.

Last edited:
Upvote 0