South
✟15,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I have been in a Godly, committed marriage for 33 years now. She's been a stay at home mom for most of that time. However, eight years ago she began working part-time for our multi-campus church in Illinois. Her supervisor was the Associate Campus Pastor at the church. During her time of employment there, she began having lunch with him (drove separetly according to church guidelines). I was not too comfortable with this and voiced my concern with my wife at the time. She told me there was no problem, and I trusted her. Over time, she began working almost full-time hours even though the job was supposed to be 10 hours per week. We eventually moved away from Illinois and she quit her job.
Recently she was looking at Facebook and saw a post from this pastor's wife who had posted a cryptic message, but reading between the lines told the story of a pending divorce. At this, my wife showed the post to me and said that she wouldn't be surprised if it was the pastor's fault. I wanted to know why she would think that and asked her if something had happened during the time she reported to him.
She explained that during their time together, he was really good about getting to know her spiritually, and over time became her spiritual leader. He was very good about empowering her, complimenting her, and caring for her emotionally. He was always asking for her thoughts and ideas, and always sought approval from her in the job he was doing (mainly feedback on how he preached and taught). She admitted that she began thinking about him too much and that it was crazy how she could love two men at the same time. She said that she wanted those thoughts to go away, and prayed about it. She explained that one night after one of the classes he taught (he'd asked her to be there), he waited until most of the class had left, and as my wife was leaving, called her back to him. Once she came back, he came very close to her, face-to-face. The look on his face and in his eyes told my wife that he was about to kiss her. She told me that the bells and whistles were going off and the Holy Spirit told her to run, and that's what she did. She worked with him a few more months and they never mentioned that incident.
My wife said that they never touched each other, and that when the relationship was to a point where it was about to become physical, she ended it. She said that she never told me what happened because she didn't want to hurt me, and that nothing happened anyway.
She apologized for letting her guard down and that it won't happen again.
She told me this three weeks ago, and have had a knot in my stomach ever since. I can't get it out of my head, and feel heartbroken. She considers the matter over, since it happened 8 years ago and doesn't want to talk about it anymore. She's said that she hasn't heard from him or thought about him since we moved.
I still have questions like, how can she have loved another man while we were married? Why didn't she tell me, even when I objected to them having lunch together? I have questions about the depth of our marriage, like why did she think it was appropriate to get her spiritual and emotional support from another man outside of our marriage?
To conlcude, I know my wife loves me and is dedicated to me and our family. I have never had a reason to not trust her, but this has shaken that. I also know that the Pastor was probably grooming her for the affair that he was trying to have with my wife (and probably did again and got caught, thus the pending divorce). I think my wife recognizes this, as she commented that "she fell for it". However, knowing that still doesn't heal my heart.
I have so many mixed emotions that I can't figure out. Sometimes I want to hold her close and not let her go and other times I look at her and feel betrayed.
I've prayed for peace and want to fully forgive her, but am just not there yet.
Any Godly insigh would be very much appreciated.

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's a gut punch, all right.

It might be more reassuring if she had never been tempted, but she was and she resisted it and that is very much to her credit and strength of character. I think you should trust her more rather than less because she overcame the temptation.

Upvote 0

By_the_Book

Life lived by the Bible is life worth living.
Jul 25, 2022
St. Augustine
Visit site
✟30,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
She said that she never told me what happened because she didn't want to hurt me, and that nothing happened anyway.

Then there seems no valid reason for telling you now. Except perhaps to ease her own guilty conscience, to cause you to have to carry the burden of what she did with her instead of her caring it alone.
She never told you because she didn't want to hurt you, well she's hurt you now. That rationale of hers makes absolutely no sense. Most likely she's telling you now because she feels it's safe to tell you now, meaning it's not going to blow up her life probably.

She considers the matter over, since it happened 8 years ago and doesn't want to talk about it anymore.
Oh, it's all over and she doesn't want to talk about it. It's not over for you because she just burdned you with it. Do not allow your wife to get away with handling this situation this way, she owes the years that you two have been together and you and God better than that. She has blown up your heart and now just wants to be quiet about it. No I don't think so, I think your wife needs to face the reality of what her choice to tell you has done.

I feel so terrible for you. I am so sorry you're going through this so unnecessarily.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I found out only from the lord a few years ago what "Love" really is. Only after that day I knew something I thought I always new yet to feel a love for someone that no matter if they never return that love if all they do is be evil to you no matter what I had a love that felt like it was a reward. To love her was all I wanted to do. I didn't care again if she ever returned it since that is not why I loved her. I don't love my wife to get something in return. As a very dear friend said to us (they were missionaries) its not always 50/50 sometimes is 25/75 sometimes its 0/100. Why did I marry my wife for only the good times for only those times she does only thinks only or never makes mistakes? That love I had I say had because that loves comes from HIM! But that love ...loved her the same no matter what she did it never expected anything in return.

For me I would set down and talk to my wife telling her how much I love her and how I forgave her but the enemy yes it is the enemy but I having a hard time forgetting it can you please help me. Fact we all get thoughts desires and some we listen to play with others we cast down but we are no better then those that act on them if that makes sense. If it helps how many times have you with Christ did something thought something sinned and said sorry what did Christ do? How does He still treat you today? Its that LOVE that you show that forgives and forgets. Now me I would instead be telling those thoughts .. get away from me in Jesus name for my wife said sorry and I forgave her in JESUS name.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I have been in a Godly, committed marriage for 33 years now. She's been a stay at home mom for most of that time. However, eight years ago she began working part-time for our multi-campus church in Illinois. Her supervisor was the Associate Campus Pastor at the church. During her time of employment there, she began having lunch with him (drove separetly according to church guidelines). I was not too comfortable with this and voiced my concern with my wife at the time. She told me there was no problem, and I trusted her. Over time, she began working almost full-time hours even though the job was supposed to be 10 hours per week. We eventually moved away from Illinois and she quit her job.
Recently she was looking at Facebook and saw a post from this pastor's wife who had posted a cryptic message, but reading between the lines told the story of a pending divorce. At this, my wife showed the post to me and said that she wouldn't be surprised if it was the pastor's fault. I wanted to know why she would think that and asked her if something had happened during the time she reported to him.
She explained that during their time together, he was really good about getting to know her spiritually, and over time became her spiritual leader. He was very good about empowering her, complimenting her, and caring for her emotionally. He was always asking for her thoughts and ideas, and always sought approval from her in the job he was doing (mainly feedback on how he preached and taught). She admitted that she began thinking about him too much and that it was crazy how she could love two men at the same time. She said that she wanted those thoughts to go away, and prayed about it. She explained that one night after one of the classes he taught (he'd asked her to be there), he waited until most of the class had left, and as my wife was leaving, called her back to him. Once she came back, he came very close to her, face-to-face. The look on his face and in his eyes told my wife that he was about to kiss her. She told me that the bells and whistles were going off and the Holy Spirit told her to run, and that's what she did. She worked with him a few more months and they never mentioned that incident.
My wife said that they never touched each other, and that when the relationship was to a point where it was about to become physical, she ended it. She said that she never told me what happened because she didn't want to hurt me, and that nothing happened anyway.
She told me this three weeks ago, and have had a knot in my stomach ever since. I can't get it out of my head, and feel heartbroken. She considers the matter over, since it happened 8 years ago and doesn't want to talk about it anymore. She's said that she hasn't heard from him or thought about him since we moved.
I still have questions like, how can she have loved another man while we were married? Why didn't she tell me, even when I objected to them having lunch together? I have questions about the depth of our marriage, like why did she think it was appropriate to get her spiritual and emotional support from another man outside of our marriage?
To conlcude, I know my wife loves me and is dedicated to me and our family. I have never had a reason to not trust her, but this has shaken that. I also know that the Pastor was probably grooming her for the affair that he was trying to have with my wife (and probably did again and got caught, thus the pending divorce). I think my wife recognizes this, as she commented that "she fell for it". However, knowing that still doesn't heal my heart.
I have so many mixed emotions that I can't figure out. Sometimes I want to hold her close and not let her go and other times I look at her and feel betrayed.
A hard lesson learned by your wife. Thank Christ for keeping her from a fall. The world is a very dangerous place and the direction given in God’s Word about men and women being around each other is precise. Please let me know if your unaware of The Scriptures that pertain. I’ve prayed for God’s Will for both of you.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

He was very good about empowering her, complimenting her, and caring for her emotionally. He was always asking for her thoughts and ideas,

Something for you to think about doing.

Count your blessings. She didn't betray you.
She loves you and is sorry for what happened.

You have the opertunity to rebuild, to continue with a new awareness of each other, so how do you do this.
By being honest with God about what you are feeling. Not praying for peace, but opening up before God all your hurt, your fears, anger etc etc
Only then can you start the process of forgiving your wife. Part of this process is to pray, intelligently for that pastor who has so hurt you. Pray for him, with your wife and don't forget his wife or the other women and men who have been betrayed by him. betrayed

Upvote 0

Jim_68

Nov 2, 2022
South
✟15,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something for you to think about doing.

Tolworth John,
Thank you!
You're exactly right. She was vulnerable because I wasn't providing for her spiritually. She was strong enough in her committment to me to stop the advances of the pastor, even through the temptation.
This has caused me to examine my marriage in-depth. I realize that we have a healthy marriage, but it needs to be stronger and that begins with me. While I've been a christian for years, I haven't led my wife as I should have, and now have the opportunity to change that. God used this situation to redeem me and the wonderful marriage I have with my wife.
Thank you for your prayers and Godly wisdom. Keep using it for His kingdom.

Count your blessings. She didn't betray you.
She loves you and is sorry for what happened.

You have the opertunity to rebuild, to continue with a new awareness of each other, so how do you do this.
By being honest with God about what you are feeling. Not praying for peace, but opening up before God all your hurt, your fears, anger etc etc
Only then can you start the process of forgiving your wife. Part of this process is to pray, intelligently for that pastor who has so hurt you. Pray for him, with your wife and don't forget his wife or the other women and men who have been betrayed by him. betrayed

Upvote 0

Sabri

Pentecostal -Apostolic
Nov 20, 2022
Mo
✟32,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
I have found being married or single we all make mistakes, especially with relationships and the opposite sex. The scripture says, there is now therefore no condemnation to them who walk not after the flesh but after the spirit. I am married and my husband and I have both made mistakes since being married. One night we started to lay out some of the things we have done since we have been married. It’s difficult to get relationships right, especially with the opposite sex. In life there’s times when tempting comes to you. It’s for us to know that Jesus has prayed for us. We have to forgive our spouses and ourselves. I believe some men exploit relationships with younger women. It maybe the woman isn’t seeking an affair, but the man wants it. I think the wife did the right thing. Some men won’t take no for an answer. They want what they want. It’s for the woman to make her desires known. If she likes the person as a brother the man has to respect that and not push or tempt the woman. If need be she should cut communication off if the person doesn’t respect her boundaries. I have just learned not to continue to harbor on mistakes I have made and may continue to make with men and women, relationships as long as I live. I have set up rules and boundaries for future relationships, especially, men, professional or personal. At first I felt like I should avoid men, but that’s not biblical. I have forgiven myself and will move on as some brothers are placed in my journey to help me to get to my destiny.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums