Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Anyone here ever fixed a vegetarian Thanksgiving?

My daughter, her fiance, and his family are all vegetarians. And they will be sharing the table with us tomorrow.

Since my daughter decided to become a vegetarian several years ago, I have stuffed a pumpkin for her. I plan on doing that, and I also have a fake-turkey roll, and fake-turkey gravy mix.

I enjoy the challenge!

Any other vegetarians?

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Blynn

Jan 15, 2002
✟22,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I am cooking a tofu tukey for my vegetarian son. He is not a self-proclaimed vegetarian because he is only 11, but he will not eat meat! He does not like it at all.

I am going to try the tofu turkey this year and see if he likes it!

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've heard of the tofu turkey....one name for it is even something like "tofurkey" or something similar.

I've eaten tofu on occasion and liked it. I've also had it at times when it has been awful, LOL.

All I'll say about the tofu turkey is....."interesting." Do let us know how it turns out!

The fake-turkey roll I'm fixing is a soy-protein construct. I bought it at the nearby market which caters to Seventh-Day Adventist clientel.

Peace,
~VOW

Upvote 0

BeanMak

Veteran
Feb 7, 2002
Suburb of Chicago
Visit site
✟2,472.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I always wondered... If you don't eat meat, why the heck would you want to eat meat flavored stuff?
My son won't eat turkey, just doesn't like it. So he eats corn casserole, green beans, mashed potatoes and butter, rolls, jello mold, spaghetti with butter and cheese, olives, pumpkin pie. Ok, it is a bit of a starch load, but he is FULL by the end of the meal :D

Upvote 0
I am a vegan vegetarian, I do it for God and human rights reasons.

As for missing prime ribs and pork chops, once you know how much land was cleared, the environmental destruction, the resources (grain and money) used that could have gone to hundreds of thousands of starving men, women and children, the meat that was farmed in the third world for western consumption, let alone the pain and destruction used to torture the animal, they some how don't seem all that yummy anymore.

:) Laume

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2002
Canada
✟35,277.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by laumelilu

As for missing prime ribs and pork chops, once you know how much land was cleared, the environmental destruction, the resources (grain and money) used that could have gone to hundreds of thousands of starving men, women and children, the meat that was farmed in the third world for western consumption, let alone the pain and destruction used to torture the animal, they some how don't seem all that yummy anymore.

Pardon me while I rant just a little bit.  Having been raised in Alberta beef country, I can personally say that's a load of ****.  The resources appropriated for pasturing feed-beef and feed-stock are miniscule in comparison to the acreage required to farm grain or seed crops.  Most industrialized nations who export any type of foreign food aid do it majorly in the form of grains and cereal crops.  The logistics of exporting massive amounts of feed-stock make it totally ineffective.  Also, feed-stock farmed in the thrid worl is normally of such inferior quality to locally farmed beef/pork/etc. that it is pracitcally never bought/sold in great quantity.

As for your argument about the "pain and destruction used to torture the animal", that's also pooey.   Slaughtering done in the last generation has been done ethically, and bloodlessly.  The animals are NEVER tortured, NEVER drugged, NEVER mistreated beyong what immediately precedes their slaughter.  No one has any interesst nor the time to torture the animal with electric prods, wires, drugs, experimentation, whatever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

I can eat 50 eggs

what we have here is a failure to communicate
Oct 3, 2002
Hampstead, Maryland
Visit site
✟16,632.00
Faith
Christian

for soem reason I doubt the God that demanded animal sacrifices has a real problem with it.  also, HUMAN rights?  they aren't human.

Upvote 0

Defender of the Faith 777

Apr 13, 2002
Visit site
✟2,076.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Good point.

I don't condemn people if they want to be a vegetarian. I think it's just that maybe she's sensitive to the animals. That's all right.

What I DO have a problem with is when they get arrogant and condemn people for eating anything with meat, trying to find Biblical support. A quiet vegan is cool with me. But an arrogant one that attacks others for not being like them bothers me. I'm done whining now lol.

Upvote 0
I am feeding a bunch of my students this Friday night with a vegetarian chili-like-substance (it ain't real chili without the meat) as well as the regular and nuclear recipes. My wife will not eat red meat (health reasons) so I often cook recipes with ground turkey for her. Dietary rules are at the center of so many faiths. I am thankful that I am not so restricted as a Christian.

Dan K.

Upvote 0
Wow, forgotten about this thread... again this topic alwasy seems to stir people up... in fact everything i say stirs people up! ahhhh.. lovelly!

Now let me make my stance clear... God does not call us to be Vegetarians... God made us to sacrifice animals to him rah rah rah.. and yes Jesus ate meat! I KNOW! I am not an animal rights activist, although it does bother me. I am however by my diet doing it for HUMAN RIGHTS... I'll explain why... What my stance is however, with the world the way it is today, is that maybe, in keeping with showing Jesus through our actions, and as a result of unfair food distribution...globalisation, the west versus the third world, i believe that maybe we should be thinking about the consiquences of everything we do.. not just eating meat, but also where we shop and other stuff....

Forest Destruction - Half of the annual destruction of rainforests is caused by clearing land for beef cattle ranches. In America about 260 million acres of forrest have been cleared for a meat centered diet. Each person who becomes vegetarian saves one acre of trees per year.

NOW JN207 I know you say that there is massive environmental damage caused by grain production, that may be true.. but the point is, it feeds a hell of a lot more people that a cow does.

Agricultural Inefficiency - About half the worlds grain is consumed by animals that are later slaughtered for meat. It takes 16 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of feedlot Beef. About 20 vegetarians can be fed from the land it takes to feed 1 meat eater. If all the grain fed to american beef cattle was fed to humans it would feed 1.3 BILLION people

Soil Erosion and Desertification - Overgrazing of beef cattle and other meat animals results in high levels of soil erosion. One pound of beef from cattle raised on feed lots represents a loss of 35 pounds of top-soil. In Autralia cattle grazing contribute substantially to desertification.

Air Pollution - The meat industry burns up a lot of fossil fuel, pouring pollution into the air. Calorie by calorie, it takes 39 times more energy to produce beef than soybeans. The petroleum use in the USA would decrease by 60% if people adopted to a vegetarian diet. Methane is produced directly by the digestive process of cows. This green house gas is considered very dangerous because each molecule of methane traps 20 times more heat than a molecule of carbondioxide. Overall the effect of methane emmitted by cows is not enough to justify fears of cows destroying the world. But over-population and unnatural production of cattle produces unneccessary amounts of methane gas.

Water Pollution - About 50% of the water pollution in the usa is linked to livestock. In feedlots and stockyard holding pens there is a huge concertrations of animal excretment and urine this wate is 10 -100's of times more concerntrated than raw domestic sewerage.

Water Depletion - The beef industry is wasting the diminishing supplies of fresh water. The livesrtock industries in the USA takes about 50% of water consumed each year.

Again i am not judging or pointing a finger or telling you all to be vegetarian, I just said my stance on the subject but because yanks are know BEEF LOVERS you all got poopy at me!

Also as far as animal cruelty goes.. maybe on your farm your nice and kind.. but in the picture in the book.. "Fast food Nation" does not paint such a pretty picture... by the way the book was written in 2001.. is an unbiased book... he simply goes into slaughter houses and writes what he sees.
"For 8 and a half hours a worker called a "sticker" does nothing but stand in a river of blood being drenched in blood, slitting the neck of a steer every ten seconds or so severing its corotid artery. He uses a long knife and must hit exactly the right spot to kill the animal humanely.."

"Cattle walk down a narrow chute and pause in front of him, blocked by a gate and then he shoots them in tyhe head with a captive bolt stunner...which fires a steel bolt that knocks the cattle unconcious....As soon as the steer falls, a worker grabs one of its hind legs, shackles it to a chain, and the chain lifts the huge animal into the air."

Thats fine, it maybe humane... but personally i dont like it. Not only that but those who work in slaughter houses are usually poor and forced to because of financial reasons.. 50% are women. The working conditions are extremely poor and it has the highest "workers getting injured or killed" in America...

Now maybe your "Cattle Ranch" is different, thats great its good to see that your part of a group of people that are some how doing it right. I however dont agree with it, and so as a result dont eat it....

Settle down people and stop getting so defensive!

Laume

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

I can eat 50 eggs

what we have here is a failure to communicate
Oct 3, 2002
Hampstead, Maryland
Visit site
✟16,632.00
Faith
Christian
Allright, this is a LONG post, so I'm gonna chop up my responses, try to clear up all of these misconceptions.

I'll explain why... What my stance is however, with the world the way it is today, is that maybe, in keeping with showing Jesus through our actions, and as a result of unfair food distribution...globalisation, the west versus the third world, i believe that maybe we should be thinking about the consiquences of everything we do.. not just eating meat, but also where we shop and other stuff....

Agricultural Inefficiency - About half the worlds grain is consumed by animals that are later slaughtered for meat. It takes 16 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of feedlot Beef. About 20 vegetarians can be fed from the land it takes to feed 1 meat eater. If all the grain fed to american beef cattle was fed to humans it would feed 1.3 BILLION people

do you know what cows in feedlot eat?  sorghum, milo, alfalfa,  anything there you want to eat?  yes, they do use some wheat, and corn, but it's largely by products.   During the wheat milling process, 72 to 75 percent of precleaned wheat becomes flour and the remaining 25 to 27 percent is available as wheat by-product. These by-products include millfeed, wheat mill run or wheat middlings. The largest use of these mill by-products is for livestock consumption.

WHile this is one big whole in your argument, it's far from the largest.

Let's say tomorrow, all of america gave up eating meat. Would this have an apprecialbe affect on the millions of starving people in the world? NO, why? the problem isn't in production, the problem is in distribution. The poor 3rd world countries would still be to poor to pay to ship the grain from Kansas to Zaire.

Soil Erosion and Desertification - Overgrazing of beef cattle and other meat animals results in high levels of soil erosion. One pound of beef from cattle raised on feed lots represents a loss of 35 pounds of top-soil. In Autralia cattle grazing contribute substantially to desertification.

Uhmm, how does a feed lot contribute to soil erosion? makes no sense.

Air Pollution - The meat industry burns up a lot of fossil fuel, pouring pollution into the air.

Say what?  care to explain how the heck this works?  how does meat burn more fossil fuels than grain?

Calorie by calorie, it takes 39 times more energy to produce beef than soybeans. The petroleum use in the USA would decrease by 60% if people adopted to a vegetarian diet.

WHAT?  we all become vegetarians, then we decide to walk everywhere?  no one really believes this do they? 

Water Pollution - About 50% of the water pollution in the usa is linked to livestock. In feedlots and stockyard holding pens there is a huge concertrations of animal excretment and urine this wate is 10 -100's of times more concerntrated than raw domestic sewerage.

oh geez, where to start with this one.  First off, yes, the waste in a feed lot

IS more concentrated, but do you know why? because we (by we, I mean civil engineers, like myself, who treat water and sewer) HAVE to dilute the domestic sewer, in order to keep in flowing in the pipe (uhhm, that's what the FLUSH is for) the problem then becomes you get to the treatment plant with an INCREDIBLE volume, because you had to add water to transport. It is MUCH easier to treat in the concentrated form. Also, WHile feedlots do have large amounts of concentrated waste, they treat it in a very similiar fashion to what municipalities treat there sewage (actually they have an easier, more efficient process because it's cleaner)

Also, as far as pollution, the waste from feedlots would be a dream to handle compared to the industrial waste, they are all organics, with very known, predictable, and treatable ways of decomposing them.

Water Depletion - The beef industry is wasting the diminishing supplies of fresh water. The livesrtock industries in the USA takes about 50% of water consumed each year.
First off, where did you get that concocted figure of 50%? that's totally bogus.

go to

http://water.usgs.gov/watuse/pdf1995/pdf/summary.pdf

this is a summary report of water usage in the united states done by the USGS. look closely, and you will see that water for livestock is only 13% of the total.

as far as the inhumane, I've been in half a dozen packing plants.  Is it neat?  no, but it doesn't bother me, if it bothers you, that's fine.  But just come out and say that's your reason, don't spread misinformation trying to support it.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is the worldwide ratio of meat operations which are detrimental to the animals and the environment as opposed to those which are detrimental to neither?

I'm simply wondering if this is another case of the liberal media focusing in on a few bad operations and trying to foist off the conception that all meat-producing operations are the same way......

Maybe we should switch over to Soylent Green. We'd solve the "food-shortage" problem and the "overpopulation" problem with one fell swoop. ;)

(JFTR, there is no shortage of food just as there is no overpopulation problem----it's all a lopsided distribution effect.)

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Living here in the salad bowl of the United States (California, folks...), the salinity of the soils is the most perilous threat to agriculture....and it's from FARMING, not meat production. A whole lotta petrochemicals go into farming, too....pesticides and fertilizers. I'd say, do some research into the wasteful processes of modern agribiz farming, and you'll find more to make you angry than all of the beef industry worldwide.

I'd also check those stats on rainforest destruction. If I recall correctly, the forests are being destroyed for LUMBER PRODUCTION, not meat production.

And then you need to check out the farm subsidy programs of the US Government. There are TONS and TONS of grain stockpiled, the silos and other storage facilities are full to bursting, and much of the grain is simply piled up with tarps covering it........ROTTING. Sure, we do manage to ship some of it off as "donations" to the Third World population, but the corruption in their governments means that most of the foodstuffs wind up on the black market.

If you "fix" it so we're all vegetarian, there still will be massive problems with starvation, pollution, destruction of natural resources, waste, and corruption.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

Dewjunkie

Apr 1, 2002
Asheville, NC
Visit site
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
Laume,

I have seen repeated attacks against America in your posts, and some outrageous statistics quoted in them. My one question would be have you ever been to the US?

Back to the point, one could spend months in a library studying federal and state code on proper operation of meat processing businesses. Health and OSHA codes alone are innumerable. To say that all slaughterhouses are run with utter disregard for any environmental concern is completely untrue. Not only would it be illegal, but it would be detrimental to one's own livelihood, because if a rancher destroys the land he grazes his cattle on, eventually his cattle will be weak and scrawny and worthless to the market. Many ranches have been family run for several generations on the same land. Must not be hurting the land all that bad.

As I said to you in another thread, Laume, if a country is starving, it is most likely a result of that country's corrupt or inefficiently run government, not because Americans like Filet Mignon. I suggest that in your quest for research and knowledge, you broaden your horizons to include references without an environmental, animal rights, liberally based stance.

Upvote 0

Dewjunkie

Apr 1, 2002
Asheville, NC
Visit site
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
OK, I got a little interested in numbers, so I did some digging.

http://www.fas.usda.gov/psd/complete_tables/LP-table2-7.htm

This is a link the USDA Foreign Agriculture Services division beef import/export data for the past few years. While the US is the largest producer and consumer, we are the second largest exporter of beef. Brazil, on the other hand produced 6,895 metric tons of beef in 2001, and consumed 6,191 (or 90%). So, Laume, all of that rainforest you say is being killed for grazing is being used by Brazilians for Brazilians. Why aren't you chastising them for suppressing the world's hungry?

Further browsing the site:

http://www.fas.usda.gov/psd/complete_tables/GF-table4-147.htm

The wheat data. 2001: the US produced 1,957 million bushels of wheat, and exported 960.3 million bushels. 193.1 million bushels were used for livestock. See any disparity in your stats, Laume?

Edited to add:

http://www.wto.org/english/res_e/statis_e/its2002_e/section4_e/iv08.xlshttp://www.wto.org/english/res_e/statis_e/its2002_e/section4_e/iv08.xls

According to the WTO (if you choose to disregard the USDA because it is from the US) the US is responsible for 12.6% of the world agricultural export.  1 country out of hundreds responsible for more than 1/10th of the world's ag exports, and we're greedy and starving the world?   

Upvote 0