provincial
✟760,471.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Sin, as I understand it, means that if one harbours so much as a single unrighteous thought, that person is guilty of sin.

Who then can claim that they have zero untoward thoughts and are completely without sin?

It is certainly no small wonder why we need the blood of Jesus.

What are your thoughts on this matter?

In Christ,

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sin, as I understand it, means that if one harbours so much as a single unrighteous thought, that person is guilty of sin.

Who then can claim that they have zero untoward thoughts and are completely without sin?

In Christ,
A single thought, no that is not sin, that is temptation. Jesus himself was tempted and did not sin. The Bible tells us to take wrong thoughts captive. When we don't they can become imaginations and strongholds, that is where sin becomes a real danger. Likewise, the fiery darts of the enemy are often thoughts, we block them before they take hold.

Suggesting that every wrong thought is a failure sets up an impossible standard and will influence people to give up or not even try.

• Agree
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A single thought, no that is not sin, that is temptation. Jesus himself was tempted and did not sin. The Bible tells us to take wrong thoughts captive. When we don't they can become imaginations and strongholds, that is where sin becomes a real danger. Likewise, the fiery darts of the enemy are often thoughts, we block them before they take hold.

Suggesting that every wrong thought is a failure sets up an impossible standard and will influence people to give up or not even try.
He said "if one harbours..." That most definitely is sin. His OP is right on. Just like we can meditate on God and His truth, the contrary is also true. And that is missing the mark.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟760,471.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

But in comparison with Jesus it is. For he had no wrong thought enter His mind ever.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He said "if one harbours..." That most definitely is sin. His OP is right on. Just like we can meditate on God and His truth, the contrary is also true. And that is missing the mark.
If habours = imagination, which I understand to mean seriously entertains the notion, then yes I'd agree. But that's not how I read it.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But in comparison with Jesus it is. For he had no wrong thought enter His mind ever.
Aaaaand this is exactly why I didn't take it that way.

This is straight up false. You can't be tempted by something that has never entered your mind. This kind of talk is dangerous to people's faith.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟760,471.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is straight up false. You can't be tempted by something that has never entered your mind. This kind of talk is dangerous to people's faith.

How so? I'm merely stating that Jesus never had an errant thought in His mind. That was why he followed the Law perfectly.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How so? I'm merely stating that Jesus never had an errant thought in His mind. That was why he followed the Law perfectly.
That statement is not true. I've already addressed why.

I have seen first-hand how this mindset cripples believers in fear, confusion, condemnation and hopelessness. None of those things come from God.

• Agree
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So what are you saying then? That Jesus had his mind filled with evil thoughts at times?
That Jesus had the full human experience, including dealing with wrong thoughts and temptations and never gave into them. We couldn't be more than overcomers if He hadn't.

You can't tell me there weren't times when Jesus entertained the idea of slapping Peter upside the head... (That's a joke... Mostly)

• Agree
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That statement is not true. I've already addressed why.

I have seen first-hand how this mindset cripples believers in fear, confusion, condemnation and hopelessness. None of those things come from God.
And I've seen how the church and so called believers justify it to live in carnality. Paul told us we're able (by Holy Spirit) to cast imaginations and evil things down. So the question this is posing is: do these fiery darts and thoughts ever enter into the mind of a Christian. I say no. Not if we follow Jesus' example.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟760,471.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That Jesus had the full human experience, including dealing with wrong thoughts and temptations and never gave into them. We couldn't be more than overcomers if He hadn't.

You can't tell me there weren't times when Jesus entertained the idea of slapping Peter upside the head... (That's a joke... Mostly)

But Jesus said that if anyone even so much as looked upon a woman in lust, that one has committed adultery.

Jesus didn't commit adultery, right?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And I've seen how the church and so called believers justify it to live in carnality. Paul told us we're able (by Holy Spirit) to cast imaginations and evil things down. So the question this is posing is: do these fiery darts and thoughts ever enter into the mind of a Christian. I say no. Not if we follow Jesus' example.
I've seen that too. But, just because some people abuse the truth doesn't mean we refuse the truth. Experiencing one extreme of wrong behavior is not an excuse to embrace the opposite extreme of wrong behavior. Jesus said the way was a "narrow road"... and for every mile of road there are two miles of ditch.

Jesus' example was not never having wrong thoughts, it was having the power to overcome them without sin. Then the more you overcome, the less the thoughts will come. Starting from a place where the very thought itself is a failure leaves no room for victory.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But Jesus said that if anyone even so much as looked upon a woman in lust, that one has committed adultery.

Jesus didn't commit adultery, right?
Right.

Look into that word lust. Its very meaning implies turning the thought into an imagination, which I already addressed as being wrong. Thoughts = normal & everyday, good & bad, imaginations = embracing the thought & letting it take hold in your mind.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So what are you saying then? That Jesus had his mind filled with evil thoughts at times?

Have you not read.

Heb. 4:15
For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

This is not talking about Jesus' temptation in the wilderness from Satan.

If Jesus did not have these thoughts, temptations as a man, then He could not be our High Priest, (All Point's) means just that.

• Agree
Reactions: topher694
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

This isn't a free for all, where everyone makes up their own beliefs, if we are going to profess something then back that something up, otherwise it is assumption, supposition.

If you believe something then it should be very easy for you to produce the Scripture which demonstrates that belief.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

In Christ,

We have been told what sin is.

1 Jn. 3:4
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law:
for sin is the transgression of the law.

Upvote 0