My Two Dads? Not here in Florida.

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Polycarp1 said:
This is a common misconception about "most liberal Christians" -- but it's not so. If I may presume to speak for "most liberal Christians," we see sin clearly, and based on Scripture -- but we focus on the sins which Jesus made a point of condemning, not on those which He was inclined to -- well, "condone" is too strong a word, but treat gently as examples of human frailty.

And we tend to look at the language and customs underlying Scripture -- because all too often a given verse or two taken as prooftext is read completely out of context and erroneously.

And we are mindful of His words and example regarding what we should do with sin and sinners, and don't think that a reformed Pharisee has the last word on what sins we should condemn.

This has a lot to do with why we call ourselves Christians, not Paulitarians or Bibleists. If you have taken someone as Lord and Savior, it is His commands that are the ones that count.

We don't condone sins, we preach that God forgives them. And in our preaching and teaching we tend to focus more on the "carrot" of new and abundant life in Him, because the rest of Christianity is focusing on the brimstone-redolent "stick."

You might be a different breed of liberal Christian, Polycarp. But too many here on the message board where there are many who profess themselves as Christians but see nothing wrong with homosexuality and approves gay marriages or abortions. This is the type of liberal christianity I was talking about and not about the "carrot" as you say.

Upvote 0

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
draper said:
I'm not asking you to say 'all is well' either.

I'm saying that, yes, homosexuals do indeed sin, but does that one sin make them incapable of teaching the Bible to a child that they should adopt?

Of course not. But that is in a very, very minority. In general, a gay couple don't like the Bible because it condemns homosexuality.

I wasn't asking you to condemn anyone. I was trying to demonstrate that you probably don't agree with every single word in the Bible (though I could be wrong) and neither do homosexuals, so their sin isn't the end of the world.

I agree with everything that's in the Bible. Why shouldn't I? If one scripture is wrong then the whole Bible is wrong. The word of God is forever. The earth would be gone before His Word would.

Now just to clarify again I do *not* think homosexuality is a sin - I
m just following your logic.

You don't think homosexuality is a sin? And that's my logic? Are you trying to put a wool over my eyes? :prayer:

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
jsn112 said:
You might be a different breed of liberal Christian, Polycarp. But too many here on the message board where there are many who profess themselves as Christians but see nothing wrong with homosexuality and approves gay marriages or abortions. This is the type of liberal christianity I was talking about and not about the "carrot" as you say.
I am one of those who "profess themselves as Christians" who sees homosexuality as a natural trait in a small portion of the population, not itself a moral evil but capable of being used for good or for evil. I am a strong proponent of legalizing gay marriages. And I am personally against women having abortions as a general rule, but pro-choice, for reasons I've explained in other threads.

And I stand by what I said above. We're following Christ as we understand Him from the pages of Scripture and the leadings of the Holy Spirit.

You're privileged to disagree with our view, and we with yours.

Upvote 0

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Polycarp1 said:
I am one of those who "profess themselves as Christians" who sees homosexuality as a natural trait in a small portion of the population, not itself a moral evil but capable of being used for good or for evil. I am a strong proponent of legalizing gay marriages. And I am personally against women having abortions as a general rule, but pro-choice, for reasons I've explained in other threads.

And I stand by what I said above. We're following Christ as we understand Him from the pages of Scripture and the leadings of the Holy Spirit.

You're privileged to disagree with our view, and we with yours.

:prayer: :cry: :pray: :scratch: :prayer:

Upvote 0

draper

Perspicacious Poster
Jul 5, 2003
Toronto, Canada
✟20,634.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Others
jsn112 said:
Of course not. But that is in a very, very minority. In general, a gay couple don't like the Bible because it condemns homosexuality.
In general? I've seen many homosexual Christians on here who also try to follow the Bible to the best of their ability.

They're sinners, just like yourself.

I don't there are any gay Christians on here who say, 'Ah, well, the Bible does indeed say homosexuality is wrong but I don't particularly care.' They all have reasons as for why they think that the Bible may not necessarily condemn homosexuality, which is really their opinion of scripture, and just that - their opinion.

jsn112 said:
I agree with everything that's in the Bible. Why shouldn't I? If one scripture is wrong then the whole Bible is wrong. The word of God is forever. The earth would be gone before His Word would.
Not to turn this into a theology debate but doesn't the Bible say that the Earth is flat & is 4000 years old? Though I could be wrong.

jsn112 said:
You don't think homosexuality is a sin? And that's my logic? Are you trying to put a wool over my eyes? :prayer:
???

LoL, you totally misunderstood what I said.

In my previous posts, I assumed, just for the sake of debate, that homosexuality was indeed a sin, by doing so I was following your logic that it is a sin.

However I just put that disclaimer at the end of my post to make sure that people kniew I don't think it is a sin, I was just pretending that I did so that we had common ground to debate with in my posts.

Upvote 0

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
draper said:
In general? I've seen many homosexual Christians on here who also try to follow the Bible to the best of their ability.

They're sinners, just like yourself.

I don't there are any gay Christians on here who say, 'Ah, well, the Bible does indeed say homosexuality is wrong but I don't particularly care.' They all have reasons as for why they think that the Bible may not necessarily condemn homosexuality, which is really their opinion of scripture, and just that - their opinion.

Again. Yes, they are in a minority. The number of people who post here are not even 1% of 1% of 1% if you know what I mean.

Not to turn this into a theology debate but doesn't the Bible say that the Earth is flat & is 4000 years old? Though I could be wrong.

No. The Bible states the earth is round in the book of Isaiah:

He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. --- Isaiah 40:22

Also. The Bible doesn't say the earth is 4000 years old. But people have counted all the years of people living in the past from Adam to Jesus in Chronicles. And the result is 6000 years.

???

LoL, you totally misunderstood what I said.

In my previous posts, I assumed, just for the sake of debate, that homosexuality was indeed a sin, by doing so I was following your logic that it is a sin.

However I just put that disclaimer at the end of my post to make sure that people kniew I don't think it is a sin, I was just pretending that I did so that we had common ground to debate with in my posts.

You may not agree that it is a sin. But the Bible says it's a sin and that's what I will refer to.

Upvote 0

feral

Dostoyevsky was right
Jan 8, 2003
✟12,716.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Regardless of one's beliefs about homosexuality, it's just gotta be better for a child to be adopted by a gay marriage than shuffled around in the foster-parent system.
Certainly! Every family has it's flaws and it's problems, and even being born to two married heterosexuals doesn't guarentee one a perfect upbringing or happy life. I think it is far better to place needy children with homosexual parents then to leave them in a foster system.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Volos

Jun 25, 2003
Michign
✟4,244.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by : Cherberrie
That is really sad. I used to work at a children's home here in Florida, specifically in a residence where children lived until they were placed in foster care or adopted. I give kudos to any person who wants to adopt, especially children who are older and a different race, as they are less likely to be adopted than a healthy baby. There are so many children here that need to be adopted by someone who will love and care for them, and if that person is homosexual, so what? They are in a safe, loving home.
Well said.

Thank you for pointing out what is truly important here: Providing secure loving homes for kids who have none.

Upvote 0

Tangnefedd

A Liberal Christian
Feb 10, 2004
✟18,900.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is really sad. I used to work at a children's home here in Florida, specifically in a residence where children lived until they were placed in foster care or adopted. I give kudos to any person who wants to adopt, especially children who are older and a different race, as they are less likely to be adopted than a healthy baby. There are so many children here that need to be adopted by someone who will love and care for them, and if that person is homosexual, so what? They are in a safe, loving home.

I second that!

Upvote 0

JohnCJ

Mar 17, 2004
✟982.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
jsn112 said:
Although I, in some way, agree with you. But on the basis of God, I would rather have the child grow up in the heterosexual families. A homosexual families would have lesser of a chance to lead the child to God because they would view the Bible as something that is against them. Hence, Biblically teaching will be absent.

Leviticus 20
13 " 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.
Thats why right-wing christians feel justified in oppressing gays.

Leviticus 20
18 " 'If a man lies with a woman during her monthly period and has sexual relations with her, he has exposed the source of her flow, and she has also uncovered it. Both of them must be cut off from their people.

This is completely ignored.
The is the same part of the Bible that condones murderous acts for carnal sins.

I am not trying to flame you just pointing something out in the book.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mpshiel

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2003
I've been told "Sodom" so I guess that's close eno
Visit site
✟11,734.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No one will address Lev 18 or 20 (did you notice how the penalty for sleeping with your brothers wife was......no children) because the whole book of Leviticus is God saying to the Isrealites in very painfully language: I want you to do this and this and this. I want to eat this and not that, I want your clothes to have tassels, I want this type of candle in the temple, that type of music, I want you to consider the day starting at sunset and count the year by moons, etc. No one considers the book of Leviticus personally relevant to them. It is just that we are socially trained that homosexuality is evil and so, we can read along whole chapters going, yeah yeah whatever and then BAM! Homosexuals are evil! Wow, what a great verse, I need to go make a placard with this!

As to adoption: I actually disagree with Polycarp. I don't think children need two role models. I do think they need a stable home, somewhere that they know they are loved. As to the rest, if you want to pick and choose you can show both mass murderers or virtual saints who grew up with two heterosexual parents, or just with women, or just with men etc etc. No one really threatens to take away latch-key kids, or super-poor kids or even slightly abused kids. But suddenly, when it comes to adoption, it has to be "perfect". Trust me, run from the "perfect" families like the plague. A little difference is a good thing growing up.

Reactions: praying
Upvote 0
M

Matt Never Existed

This is sad.. Why do these people want the children who have already been rejected by their biological family to not have a loving, safe home? Sure, its not 'ideal', but honestly in this world we live in now, how many families are ideal? Not very many.

I think that if anyone would be willing to raise a child that isn't theirs, they should be called Heroes by the world. Who cares if its a same-sex couple who wants to take the child in and raise him/her? Atleast that child is going to feel loved and have a safe, secure place to live. That is what is really important.

God save the Children!

Upvote 0