✟380,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
My input:
  • The old forum displayed a simple list of thread titles on the new threads page. Now it's in a Facebook-like format, which I find unappealing, clunky and way too large for effective forum reading. I don't want to read part of the OP, I only want to see thread titles and basic information about the thread. There is such a thing as too much, and I think the new version is trying to be something it's not—a social media app. The appeal of forums (forum websites in general), at least for me, has always been the way information is displayed efficiently and intuitively, so as to maximize the reading experience and minimize clutter; minimalism is best. When you get away from the classic forum format, you cause needless confusion and tediousness to the reader. I don't consider this progress, I consider it a step backward.
  • The new round avatar display cuts off parts of your avatar that are meaningful, like text. It used to be square and not round. It's just an added inconvenience to have to recreate your avatar to fit.
  • The alerts don't seem to want to clear like they should. It seems to work intermittently. The old forum would sometimes get stuck in a mode where the alerts wouldn't clear whatsoever, and kept popping up the same old alerts. The new forum seems to have an issue deciding whether to clear alerts or not.
  • Overall, I find the new larger interface elements clunky and tedious to peruse. It's way too busy, and there are no thread lists anymore that get out of your way and let you view the threads at a glance.
EDIT:
  • You can set list view, which is not so cluttered.
  • Alerts do clear on page reload.

Last edited:

Brother-Mike

Predetermined to freely believe
Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
My input:
  • The old forum displayed a simple list of thread titles on the new threads page. Now it's in a Facebook-like format, which I find unappealing, clunky and way too large for effective forum reading. I don't want to read part of the OP, I only want to see thread titles and basic information about the thread. There is such a thing as too much, and I think the new version is trying to be something it's not—a social media app. The appeal of forums (forum websites in general), at least for me, has always been the way information is displayed efficiently and intuitively, so as to maximize the reading experience and minimize clutter; minimalism is best. When you get away from the classic forum format, you cause needless confusion and tediousness to the reader. I don't consider this progress, I consider it a step backward.
  • The new round avatar display cuts off parts of your avatar that are meaningful, like text. It used to be square and not round. It's just an added inconvenience to have to recreate your avatar to fit.
  • The alerts don't seem to want to clear like they should. It seems to work intermittently. The old forum would sometimes get stuck in a mode where the alerts wouldn't clear whatsoever, and kept popping up the same old alerts. The new forum seems to have an issue deciding whether to clear alerts or not.
  • Overall, I find the new larger interface elements clunky and tedious to peruse. It's way too busy, and there are no thread lists anymore that get out of your way and let you view the threads at a glance.
I think your first point is covered by selecting this:

963792A3-F12F-4755-B692-0F1C38EC1DF4.jpeg

Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a fan of the entire layout now. Actually I barely visit the site anymore since the upgrade.
Hi Dave, I felt like you when the change was brought about, but I'm adapting to it now. Just give it a bit of time my friend, and I'm sure you'll adapt to it also. Maybe you could post some suggestions on the New Upgrade Feedback thread?

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I get around but something in this layout and updates has knocked my interest in being here back a bit. It's not that I can't adjust but more about if I want this. But then other forums are plain and lack content. I'll give it some time without doubt, I won't just dump it.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't like it either but then i don't like changes. You know the old saying, if it's not broke....
I miss the members on line, etc.

Upvote 0

Christoph Maria

Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return...
Sep 10, 2022
Göteborg, Sweden
✟66,511.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Hi Dave, I felt like you when the change was brought about, but I'm adapting to it now...

...as everyone will in time.

IMHO there are 'bigger fish to fry'! ;)

• Agree
Reactions: David's Harp
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

...as everyone will in time.

IMHO there are 'bigger fish to fry'! ;)

No everyone will not. We have a right to prefer one thing to another. Most everyone will use it but it doesn't mean they got used to it. It may mean that it's what they have so put up with it. Bigger fish to fry ? Of course.

• Agree
Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like the old format better was easier to navigate.
True. I can’t even post a pic anymore. The bolding tool, etc. does not work no matter what I do. Hyperlinks in articles no longer transfer either. It’s becoming too much work.

• Agree
Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
True. I can’t even post a pic anymore. The bolding tool, etc. does not work no matter what I do. Hyperlinks in articles no longer transfer either. It’s becoming too much work.
Indeed frustrating ....

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I find it disturbing to come here as is, I now pop in in the morning and just check if there have been any comments or reactions to threads I've been involved with and that's it. See you tomorrow. I used to keep this page up in it's own tab on my PC and be in and out all day long, participating in this or that as something within my capacity showed up..

See you all tomorrow, I'm done here for today. I'm not hanging out where I feel frustrated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums