• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My story, obsessed with salvation/repentance...ocd? .maybe? (Long)

Wren84

Jan 24, 2018
Cleveland
✟15,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I just want to get this out there. It seems like there is some wrong thinking at play here so any opinions/encouragement or prayers would be welcomed..

I've had a really weird and intense week. Because I've been giving this such importance, I'm almost afraid to be calm and feel normal. I've always struggled with salvation. I've never had lasting peace that im really saved. (I am 33) I finally got the courage (because of a frightening prospect in my life that gave me some perspective--i thought maybe that was God's doing) to talk to my pastor about all of my life of salvation doubts. It has been a long time coming, I've always felt guilty because it seemed I was hiding this from everyone and pretending I was a Christian (been a member at my Baptist church for about 17 years). So I finally poured it out to my pastor...

My mom, who was saved as an adult after my dad was delivered of drugs and lead her to the Lord, basically wanted me to pray the salvation prayer when I was about 5, because , kids can die too (a bus load of kids crashed in the news). If your mom tells you you need to do this, or you'll go to a scary place someday, duh of course you're going to pray the "prayer." Well I was still afraid of hell after that, so I'd perform these little compulsions (jumping "up" just to make sure God would known I wanted to go "up" to heaven and not "down" to hell.) I don't believe at all that that was true faith, i wasn't saved then . I had other weird anxieties as a kid too, maybe partly because I didn't feel safe all the time (my dad had issues and was a screamer all my life and sometimes hurt things, though not us physically, thank God.)

When I was about 13 I was doubting everything, even God's existence I think, and didn't think I was saved, so I prayed with my mom again. These times of crisis seem like long stretches of time in my mind, like they last for months or years. When we prayed that second time, she said like "now you're a child of God" and that didn't sit well with me--because I was afraid to admit that I HADN'T been a child of God previously...like I had been dangling over hell all those years! So I said something lame like "couldn't we say that I'm rededicating my life to God." I couldn't even admit my lost state! (This becomes important later). Don't believe this was true faith, either. Just praying to cover my butt, so to speak.

Well that second prayer opened up the floodgates...to my praying to be saved over and over and over, through basically the rest of my life so far. We moved a lot but we finally settled here when i was around 15, and we joined my current Baptist church. My membership interview and Baptism was not fun. I remember telling the deacons something of my doubting story, and they finally asked, "if you died now would you go to heaven?" If my life was a movie, this would be where time froze for a second. I *forced* myself to believe "well I did this, and that's what the Bible says right, so I have to choose to believe that" so I told them "yes, because I believe Jesus died and I asked Him to save me." Mind you, that sounds good and all, and they were satisfied with it. I was afraid what theyd say if i said "no." Why was i so afraid/stupid? I could've started seeking God earlier...
But, my answer to them, it was head knowledge on my part. Even the demons believe Jesus died, and tremble, as James says. My baptism was riddled with anxiety. I was not happy. I knew my pastor would ask me while in the water, "is it your desire to obey Him from this day on, to the best of your ability?" And I did not think that it was my desire. But of course I tried to believe it was, so I could say yes...

I started finding things about Jesus being your Lord, and about repentance, which I had never really heard of before. I read Christopher Parkening's (the guitarist) testimony, about how he wanted God's "fire insurance" to get out of hell, but not have God as Lord of his life, therefore he was not saved until after he accepted that. That scared me! I knew something was missing...and I tried to talk to my pastor about this a couple times too, but it's like he didn't get it. Or I didn't get it, or both. Sometimes it does really seem to me that my pastor places so much emphasis on "whoever calls... Will be saved" well I had called so many times, but I sure wasn't saved!

Then I went to christian youth camp, heard an emotional, hard-hitting sermon on repentance. Anxiety galore. I was about 18 at this time. The speaker said things like "this girl kept praying 'Lord IF in not saved save me!" And it wasn't until she admitted her lostness that she could be saved." ..foggy memory paraphrase. And he talked about another man who didn't want to humble himself and go forward...I went home thinking..."back when I didn't want to actually admit I was lost when I was 13...that means that didn't work! And I have to go forward at church and give up my pride, because pride is not repentance, I can't get saved if I don't give up my pride." So it seemed every week I would feel guilty like I should go forward at the invitation (back at my home church), but would push it aside because it was hard, to admit that you were a fake. Again I did talk to some people, but it was never really resolved. I started to feel like if I go forward, then that has to be it. I can't be a fake again. But what if I go forward and I still don't get it right? Then where am I? So I used that as an excuse to not go forward.

Once I noticed I wasn't feeling this conviction to go forward anymore, and I was scared because I was using that as a litmus test whether God would still give me a chance. "Oh there's the conviction, Ive still got a chance. Phew. But no,not going forward." My pastor preached a sermon on Judas vs peter, and I was convinced in my heart of hearts, that I had no more chances, I'd squandered them, God was done. I was going to hell and there was not a chance for reversal. If I thought the anxiety was hard before, it was unbearable now. I wished I'd never been born. Eventually I disteacted myself with reading Lord of the Rings in one summer (the feeling was so real, I was trusting that feeling that I was damned forever) and also john Bunyan's book Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners helped too (I thought if John Bunyan also thought he was damned forever, and HE was wrong, maybe I was wrong too.) I think I went back to praying just-in-case prayers.

Another year at camp, I realized you have to feel sorry for your sins to be saved. So I even mustered up that feeling, and thought I finally got it! That joy lasted for about a day....it seemed I was always looking for a hidden light switch, something was missing...but what was it??

Come to more of the present day. I got married 4 years ago and he's great and a Christian. Still doubted, still no real peace.

I've been realizing that I just kept trying to "do it right." Did I repent? Did I feel sorry? I knew that God saves us and we can't earn it, but that he has a right way for us to come to him, and I was trying to come to him aright. Not just pray a prayer to get out of hell. But as one of my friends reminded me the other day, all my "doing" is filthy rags. Funny that I was baptist all along and "knew" that you can't earn salvation...but I guess I have been trying to anyway.

An issue this week has been...OK...I feel I have been obsessed with "finding what's missing" and trying to muster it up...and now that people have been telling me, "you don't 'do!' HE does the convicting. He gives the repentance and the saving." Now its like I've been obsessed with NOT doing! "Did I let him? Did he do it? Did I rest enough?" I'm still confused with repentance...like...are we SURE there's not something required of us? I feel the past few days when I've been reading and praying and seeking him, i felt that i literally at your mercy, God, you can choose to save me or no, but i am throwing myself on your mercy. But then, the next day it seemed like all emotions, and I was still trying to insert myself in my friend's testimony (make her experience mine) and tell God what to do!

I think I'm beginning to understand, I hope. But there are moments when i feel like I'm absolutely obsessed with this, and it's not helping.

• Prayers
Reactions: lamb7

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
Hi

Welcome to CF! Briefly I would suggest two things to you.

Firstly, your journey with God is yours, no one elses. So comparing your life and "status" with others isn't helpful.

I know you're struggling, but is it possible you are over-complicating it? You've come to Jesus, asking and trusting him for forgiveness, right? So what has he said?

In Romans 3, the New Living Translation says this: "We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are". In 1 John 1 its says, "But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness."

You have placed your faith in Jesus, so you are made right with God - no matter who you are! He will forgive you.

In 1 John 4 it says, "Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love."

Can I suggest that you have (maybe) not fully experienced his perfect love?

I hope this helps,

:)

Upvote 0

Mercy743

Jun 21, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟8,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi there,

To put this very simply, I think you are basing the reality of your salvation entirely on a tangible feeling of 'being saved/accepted'. If you have repented, and accepted the gift of Christ's forgiveness, you ARE SAVED, period.

As the above poster shared "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:19

There's no way you'd be this concerned about it if you weren't, which in my opinion is an affirmation of your faith.

I would take a new perspective on this, and rather than seeking a more sure feeling of your salvation, embrace Christ's love and thank Him for His goodness.

Try to retrain your brain to a posture of Christ-centered thanksgiving instead of searching for or relying on an inner-sense of acceptance.

Our fallen brains and bodies are very fickle and not reliable indicators of spiritual realities. Rest in the truths of God's Word, and love, which is unchanging.

Upvote 0

FightTheFlesh

Sep 10, 2016
Detroit
✟20,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're not alone. I have been going through the same thing somewhat. I tried to be perfect for God, but that's not possible. It was all based off of self-effort and so it was all based on my pride and not really allowing God to change me. It really affected me because I ended up stressing myself out so bad that I just became emotionally numb. I felt like I was in a prison within my own mind. Afraid that if I go right then I would be going against God, or if I go left I would be going against God until I was in this constant mental state going back and forth from right to left and left to right never making a final decision. There was no rest. Imagine a person walking to and fro constantly and never making a final decision. Imagine a person saying I'm gonna go right
side-view-walking-woman-sports-tights-beautiful-girl-motion-backside-person-rear-people-collection-isolated-59871146.jpg

But then wind up thinking "how do you know that walking in the right direction is the correct one? What if it's actually the left??" And then that person winds up saying "well I'm gonna walk to the left" And so they walk to the left
images

Then a thought comes like "What if it was really the right the whole time??? You might be going to hell now" So you get all freaked out and say [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] I DONT WANNA GO TO HELL!! Im gonna go right again." And so you go right. And you go in this repetitive cycle of going back and forth, back and forth!! Never coming up with a final decision to stop doubting. The emotion governing these decisions is fear. With fear there is no rest. You are looming for a feeling and I am guilty of this myself. I remember repenting and accepting jesus as my lord and savior and late on thinking "I didnt feel anything" so I thought nothing happened. I was looking for this golden overwhelming feeling but thats not how it works, but I didnt know that. I am an artist and I am most creative when I feel something, and feeling was believing to me but thats not always true because a person can FEEL like they are going to hell but that doesnt always mean its true. A person can FEEL like their spouse is cheating but that doesnt make it true.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This definitely sounds like OCD, and doubting one's salvation is a common obsession. Mercy743's advice is excellent. If you don't yet know much about OCD, I'd suggest learning about it, and learning how to address it. I can suggest some great resources if you'd like.

Reactions: carrico
Upvote 0

Wren84

Jan 24, 2018
Cleveland
✟15,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your replies everyone. A few weeks ago, I went to talk to my father in law about it. He didn't really say anything profound that I hadn't heard before, but what happened was my sis in law came in the room while we were talking/praying. I was embarrassed! I typically don't talk about this in the open. But I am glad she did because I found out she has also always had doubts about salvation. We talked and it just felt so good to connect with someone in the same boat and we planned to study together (we have already started). When I went home that night, I was happy because it seemed God was confirming to me that he had a plan in all this. (Other things happened to get me to my in laws on that Wednesday night. We usually go hang out Thursdays but if it had been Thurs my sis in law would have been at work.) So as i was saying, when I got home that night, something seemed to click. I thought "I have been trying so very hard to DO it right and NOT " do" too much and BELIEVE all the right things (how much is Him? How much is us?) Been so preoccupied with all that I haven't just done what He said.. Repent and believe. So how about I just do that, and let Him take care of all those details?" So I tried to just do that. And I will say, those mental gymnastics I had been going through, stopped.

It has not been a picnic since then. Well the first week was quite nice actually. But mostly lately I am afraid because I have this thing in my past I'm trying to figure out what to do with...to make it right. I want to do Gods will but I'm scared what His will may very well be. I'm a little worried that it means I haven't surrendered fully and thus I may still not be saved...but for right now we're going with saved by God 's grace. I can see how he even used this fear I have (of the past issue) to give me some perspective and make me talk to my pastor about salvation last month.

If you are struggling as I was in my first post, go on YouTube and watch "I tried to be saved but it didn't work - Tim Conway" it is a good message that I think will help. Watch the whole thing.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your replies everyone. A few weeks ago, I went to talk to my father in law about it. He didn't really say anything profound that I hadn't heard before, but what happened was my sis in law came in the room while we were talking/praying. I was embarrassed! I typically don't talk about this in the open. But I am glad she did because I found out she has also always had doubts about salvation. We talked and it just felt so good to connect with someone in the same boat and we planned to study together (we have already started). When I went home that night, I was happy because it seemed God was confirming to me that he had a plan in all this. (Other things happened to get me to my in laws on that Wednesday night. We usually go hang out Thursdays but if it had been Thurs my sis in law would have been at work.) So as i was saying, when I got home that night, something seemed to click. I thought "I have been trying so very hard to DO it right and NOT " do" too much and BELIEVE all the right things (how much is Him? How much is us?) Been so preoccupied with all that I haven't just done what He said.. Repent and believe. So how about I just do that, and let Him take care of all those details?" So I tried to just do that. And I will say, those mental gymnastics I had been going through, stopped.

It has not been a picnic since then. Well the first week was quite nice actually. But mostly lately I am afraid because I have this thing in my past I'm trying to figure out what to do with...to make it right. I want to do Gods will but I'm scared what His will may very well be. I'm a little worried that it means I haven't surrendered fully and thus I may still not be saved...but for right now we're going with saved by God 's grace. I can see how he even used this fear I have (of the past issue) to give me some perspective and make me talk to my pastor about salvation last month.

If you are struggling as I was in my first post, go on YouTube and watch "I tried to be saved but it didn't work - Tim Conway" it is a good message that I think will help. Watch the whole thing.
Glad some things are clicking into place! Keep in mind that your OCD will try to keep you worried about something, so be on guard for that! It doesn't want you to rest. Your job is to keep learning more about OCD and how to say no to it. Mulling over a concern is one thing, but obsessing over it is quite another. If you are interested, I am part of a support group on Facebook for Christians with OCD/anxiety. There are quite a few people on there that struggle with obsessions about salvation, so it provides a good place to talk about those issues. Not sure if it would be too triggering right now or helpful, so I just thought I'd throw it out there. Keep reaching out for support as needed! Also check out the blog posts on ocdandchristianity.com - there are some about this topic!

Upvote 0

carrico

May 5, 2019
TN
✟31,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This definitely sounds like OCD, and doubting one's salvation is a common obsession. Mercy743's advice is excellent. If you don't yet know much about OCD, I'd suggest learning about it, and learning how to address it. I can suggest some great resources if you'd like.

Hi, if you are still on this forum, I would love the resources.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, if you are still on this forum, I would love the resources.
I'm sorry for my late reply! There are so many websites with good information, but here are a few of my favorites:
Good overview of OCD treatment: Overcome OCD: Recovery tips for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Great articles and blog posts about scrupulosity: OCD & CHRISTIANITY – CHRISTIANITY
More information about OCD, from a Christian writer: Welcome
Website of one of the top experts in the OCD field: https://www.ocdonline.com/
Good FB support group (Christian) for OCD/anxiety: Facebook Groups
The founder of the FB group also wrote a book about religious OCD, "Strivings Within: The OCD Christian," which I read and thought was helpful.

Well, I guess that is enough for now, but if you would like more resources or have questions about any of these (or OCD in general), feel free to ask!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums