• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My story and temptations

Status
Not open for further replies.

someone_here

May 28, 2005
Luton
Visit site
✟1,068.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Heya
Since I was 13 i've struggles with SI but not cutting just bruising, biting and such, but a few weeks ago i sunk right into depression that i am still struggling with atm, everything just turned bad for me, i broke up with my boyfriend who everyone even us were sure we'd be together forever, but yh i broke up with him and shortly regretted it. I'd been turning to other boys for attention and this got me into a bad situation as you can imagine, and my mums ill and awaiting an operation for just under 10 months now which is casuing stress on my dad, and my brother announced that he is getting married which is a true blessing but while my worlds falling apart his is the opposite and with trying to sort out uni aplications and A levels i just felt at a dead end, and i had a bad week where nothing exsisted for me and i started cutting, but i'm still struggling now, although i haven't cut for 3-4 weeks now i still got the temptation and the craving of the feeling it gives you shortly after. How do you guys cope with releaving that temptation

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry you are having such a hard time, sweetie :hug:
3 weeks is great.. well done!
There are a lot of different things you can do to help when you are tempted... I find pinging an elastic band round my wrist helps...but there is a sticky at the top of this forum, here with loads of different ideas which people have found helpful.
Praying for you, sweetie.
PM me if you want someone to talk to :hug:

Upvote 0

Holly's_Dream

Nov 13, 2008
Bath, UK
✟8,142.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey,
You live quite near me, infact i was in luton about 2hrs ago - i'm from stevenage.
As a fellow self harmer of many years i can tell you, quite honestly, that i know where you are coming from.
I have a sister who is very academically talented and i have always envied how her life comes together so well whenever mine falls apart. Be it with boyfriends, univeristy, exams (or looks, but i think thats just a girl thing to be envious about).
Sometimes it has caused me to self harm because i spent so long considering that fact.
The temptation never really goes away. For me i found the problem was more trying not to find ways to make that short-term relief last longer. Usually this meant my self-injury becoming worse. And it doesnt work.
It sounds simple and at the same time hugely difficult, but it really is all in realising that the relief IS short-term but the effects arent, especially with cutting due to the scaring. I have been SI free for about 6 months now. It was originally almost a year but i had a bad patch and i did it just the once. Once i got out of the habit of doing it frequently - just that once after the large amount of time was enough to show me that i didnt need if after all. The relief wasnt really there any more. It just hurt :p although you cant really expect anything that involves the word 'harm' not to.
Through all that time the temptation to self harm has been as strong as when i was doing it on a regular basis. The temptation doesnt really go, i'd be lying if i said it did.
But you learn to overpower it with your own achievements; milestones of not self harming maybe: 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 month, 1 year. Every day that passes is a reminder that you are better than self harm, and you dont need it as much as you think you do.
Its hard to explain, and i dont think ive done it very well (partially because im really tired) although if someone tried to explain the above to me when i was hurting myself, i wouldnt have believed a word of it. I dont know.
I think i should sleep - im confusing myself now :p
Night.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.