Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did you ever read the book "Etymological Fallacy"? I did, but sorry, I do not remember the authors name. It was helpful and I'll just leave it at that.

Do you mean the book Exegetical Fallacies by D. A. Carson (which has a good section on the etymological fallacy)? I used that book in writing my previous post.

We can argue all day about stauros but, could it also refer to a tent stake?

Outside the Bible, stauros can mean "stake" in a palisade, but I can't see "tent stake" as a meaning in any lexicon. I think it's clear that the word, when used in Roman times, means "cross."

Your translation of zOn(living), which is a masculine nominative singular participle(adjectival verb), in the present tense, is weak. We should never translate Greek complex participles into simple English participles.

I know where you're coming from, but in this case I think an English participle is the obvious (and best) translation of the Greek. I agree that there is a sense of continuous action, so "living" is perhaps better than "alive."

Also, you added a copula(linking verb) to the text(as did the translators)--"is". In doing so you are translating a nominative masculine singular present participle, predicately.

Well-spotted, and kudos to you for recognising all the important aspects of the word. But participles are very often used as adjectives (see Duff, The Elements of New Testament Greek, page 84).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Part of my claim to fame is that I am the first American surfer to ever surf Tasmania and dude, it was going off! I lived there for three summer months.

Impressive. Was it like this photo from Eddystone Rock?

Marti-Paradisis_-ANDREWCHISHOLM.jpg

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
When I was young, I was pro-life. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to just kill their baby for any reason. Then I became pro choice when I heard what the other side had to say. Things stayed this way for a long time until I started looking into Catholicism. When I started looking at the Catholic way of looking at things, everything started to make sense, and now I think I'm pro life again... even if someone is conceived under awful circumstances, that doesn't give anyone the right to terminate their lives. I know this is a hot button issue but it's something that feels very important to me right now and I feel like I need to tell the world about why abortion is wrong. I feel like I need to do something activist-like. I haven't felt this fired up by a social issue in awhile and it's great!

My stance on abortion is that even most "for the life of the mother" aren't really for the life of the mother. IOW, the pg might be risky, even exceedingly so. But no one really knows how it might turn out.

To be honest the only exception where I truly vacillate on this is ectopic pg, where the fertilized ovum implants in the fallopian tube. That pregnancy to my knowledge does not ever carry to term. The baby will most certainly die at any rate. In that case, the mother may too--and I have had friends where this indeed almost happened. So in that case you are ONLY saving the mother's life. You cannot save the babies. That tiny tube cannot sustain a nine month pregnancy.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To be honest the only exception where I truly vacillate on this is ectopic pg, where the fertilized ovum implants in the fallopian tube. That pregnancy to my knowledge does not ever carry to term.

No, the baby will certainly die. But the procedure used for ectopic pregnancies is not really an "abortion" in the ordinary sense.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
No, the baby will certainly die. But the procedure used for ectopic pregnancies is not really an "abortion" in the ordinary sense.
Ectopic pregnancies are normally discovered when the women is rushed to emergency and is bleeding out.
Pro-life activism tends not to focus on ectopic pregnancies as relevant, or spontaneous miscarriages either for that matter, for the same reason that no active and willful desire to destroy the life of another human being is involved in these kind of procedures and otherwise dysfunctional phenomena.

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Impressive. Was it like this photo from Eddystone Rock?

Marti-Paradisis_-ANDREWCHISHOLM.jpg
Hell no! That's phycodic as well as Shipstern Bluff!
images

My favorite wave in Tassie was Eaglehawk Neck.
upload_2018-3-4_14-37-30.jpeg

A beautiful place and a beautiful wave.

I surfed Roaring Beach a lot. It was very isolated back then.
upload_2018-3-4_14-39-40.jpeg

Some other spots that I don't remember their names and some that didn't have a name. I lived near Carlton River outside of Sorrell.

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem with Greek prepositions is the lexicon writers 150 "sometimes it means". The hard part was simplifying them according to the case they govern that any first century illiterate fisherman or, farmer could understand by hearing the grammatical inflection pronounced to them.

And by the way, never trust the words "for", "by" or "with" in your English bible. They have the ability to translate just about any preposition as for, by or with. In doing so, they then have the ability to turn datives into genitive and genitives into dative with some high sounding grammatical tools.

This is a except from my book:

With the genitive of a person, or persons, meta means “accompaniment”, “fellowship” or, “companionship”:

When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with(meta, accompaniment) him. Matt 2:3 NASB

And also in composition(compound form), as a prefixed preposition:

Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking [their] meals together(imperfect active indicative, 3rd person plural of metalambanO. meta = accompaniment + lambanO--to take) with gladness and sincerity(un-rocky therefore, smooth also, unalloyed with the world--pure, simple) of heart, Acts 2:46 NASB Hyper-Literal: they-(in the past)-are with(accompaniment, fellowship, companionship)-taking of-nourishment.

In order of time:

"You know that after(meta) two days(accusative) the Passover is coming, and the Son of Man is to be handed over for crucifixion." Matt 26:2 NASB

In order of place:

Behind(meta) the second(accusative) veil there was a tabernacle which is called the Holy of Holies, Heb 9:3 NASB

Problem #1

Unfortunately, the English translators translate pronoia(noun) as “providence” or “provision”; prognOsis(noun) as “foreknowledge”; pronoeO(verb) as “provide”; proginOskO(verb) as “foreknow”. All without acknowledging the leadership position of pro.

If that isn’t bad enough, the translators translate metanoeO(verb) as “repent”. metanoia(noun) as “repentance” and from that, teachers teach the “Doctrine of Repentance”, ignoring the base meaning of metanoia, and all without acknowledging the fellowship or followship position. Therefore, they have, through religion(bible) class(and also parroting their seminary teachers and passing ordination tests), changed the meaning of that word and beat us with their stick telling us that we should be “repentant sinners”, rather than the 1st grade understanding of Jesus’ words “YOU--FOLLOW ME!” He is the Pro we are the meta! Now, throw that stick into the fire before you poke somebody’s eye out!

Now, if pro + noia means: in-front-mind(and it does): then how does meta + noia mean “repentance”?! God wants us to be with-minded, like-minded, accompaniment-minded, fellowship-minded, companionship-minded--NOT REPENTANT! John the Baptist did not preach a “baptism of repentance”. Rather, he heralded a submergence-effect of with-mindedness because the kingdom(rulership) of God was at hand along with its wrath! In other words, the rulership of God is at hand bringing with it much wrath so you better get with it you-all! Also, metanoia does not mean “to change your mind”! And I don’t care which Guru’s book you read! If however, your fellowship with us requires a change of heart, then by all means: CHANGE YOUR HEART! Fill your mind with God’s Word and it will change your heart(innermost being). If you don’t believe me? Then, how many times have you tried it?

Problem #2

pro is also a part of the authority structure of prepositions in the sense of “in-front” which often establishes a leadership position “in-front” of someone whom is following:

Hyper-Literal: Yet we(Paul, and the people with him, as he dictated this letter, written down by Tertius, Rom 16:22)-have-been-perceiving seeing-that to-thee-all ones-keep-on-agapE-loving thee God all-things it-is-together-working(sunergeO, operating-together) into good to-thee-ones down-from(authority) in-front-set(prothesis, set in-front, in an in-front position for public display--noun) to-called(appointed to an office) ones-keep-on-being. Seeing-that whom-all He(God)-in-front(leadership)-knows(proginOskO)* and-also He-in-front(leadership position)-appoints(proorizO, we are appointed to be in a leadership position)* all-together-with-appearance(summorphos,) of-thee likeness of-thee Son of-Him-same into thee-thing to-be Him-same First-Born(prOtotokos, appellative adjective, note 1) in many brethren. Yet whom-all He-in-front(leadership position)-appoints(proorizO)* these-all and-also He-out-from-calls(invites to a high calling by giving you a name/fame)* and-also whom-all He-out-from-calls(to fame)* these-all and-also He-vindicates(declares righteous)* yet whom-all He-vindicates(declares righteous)* these-all and-also He-illuminates*(to praise, extol, magnify, celebrate, honor, do honor to, hold in honor, make glorious, adorn with luster, clothe with splendor, impart glory to something, render it excellent, make renowned, render illustrious, illuminate, cause the dignity and worth of some person or thing to become manifest and acknowledged, blingified, to be shiny right here, right now). Any-thing? then we(Paul and friends)-shall(in the future)-be-saying toward these-things; If thee God over-for(huper-over, like the roof of a house) of-us(position), any-one? down-against(kata-down acting against from a position over us i.e., tyrant) of-us(position). Rom 8:28-31

(note 1) prOtotokos(appellative adjective): is a compound word and usually is translated as “first-born” but the prefixed adjective prOtos means: first in rank, influence, honor, chief, principal or sequence. tiktO(verb) means: to bring forth, bear, produce(fruit from the seed), of a woman giving birth, of the earth bringing forth its fruits, metaphorically to bear, bring forth and does not simply mean the first one “born”. “First-Born”, in both the Hebrew and the Greek, is a title of honor, not just the beginning of a succession of births, as there is no Second-Born-One as a title

NASB: [since] they have known(present active participle of proginOskO here, not translated as “foreknow”) [about] me(Paul) for a long time(anOthen, in the sense of time, means: from the beginning or from the start), if they are willing to testify, that I lived as a Pharisee according to the strictest sect of our religion. Acts 26:5 NASB

Rather: “ones-always-before-knowing me from-the-start”. Notice they did not have “foreknowledge” of Paul.

The idea that pro means “before time”, as a radical thought, as in “foreknowledge”, is absolutely foreign to the Classical Greek, as well as being absolutely foreign to the Hebrew Scriptures of the Older Testament(covenants). God is not telling us, in Roman 8, that He “foreknows” us, as if our life is written in stone, but rather, that He is lead-knowing us, right here, right now! God is not saying here that He knew you billions of years ago. Rather, He is trying to lead you, right here, right now, away from the crap of the kosmos-world system and into His kingdom/domain under His rulership! He is trying to convince you to get out of that dirty fishbowl you swim in and rather, mount up with wings of eagles! Although the Hebrew poetic writers often did express being foreknown by God for ions of time, they didn’t have a single word for that purpose!

Problem #3

meta sometimes, with the genitive, is taught to mean: “to exchange one thing for another, discarding the former”. As such, meta is usually transliterated by the Latin prefix “trans”. But as such, does not acknowledge the import of association-with such as:

And He(Jesus) was transfigured(with-figured) before them; and His face shone like the sun, and His garments became as white as light (with-figured, associated-with glory). Matt 17:2 NASB

Side by Side: And do not be conformed(not be!-you-all-together-with-figured--middle-passive) to this[thee] world(breath-being) [this], but(-rather) be transformed(be!-you-all-being-with-formed) by(to-) the (up-)[re]newing of[-thee] [your] mind [of-you-all], so that[into thee-thing] [you may] prove(to-be-proving--expressing purpose) [you-all] what(?-thing) the will of[-thee] God [is], that which is[thee] good(-thing) and(-also) acceptable(well-pleasing-thing) and(-also) perfect(complete-thing) Rom 12:2 NASB

We are not being individually “transformed”. But rather, we all are being with-formed(together) into a collective body functioning in unity for the purpose of proving the will of God, i.e., anointed--together!

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ectopic pregnancies are normally discovered when the women is rushed to emergency and is bleeding out.
Pro-life activism tends not to focus on ectopic pregnancies as relevant, or spontaneous miscarriages either for that matter, for the same reason that no active and willful desire to destroy the life of another human being is involved in these kind of procedures and otherwise dysfunctional phenomena.

I've bolded what to me is the key phrase in your post. I think you are exactly right.

If the goal of an operation is not an active and willful desire to destroy the life of another human being, then it's not an abortion. Conversely, in any non-abortion, doctors will always save the baby if that's possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If that isn’t bad enough, the translators translate metanoeO(verb) as “repent”. metanoia(noun) as “repentance” and from that, teachers teach the “Doctrine of Repentance”, ignoring the base meaning of metanoia, and all without acknowledging the fellowship or followship position.

The translators know what they're doing. The word metanoeō (μετανοέω) meant "change one's mind" or "repent" before the New Testament was written, and that's the way the word is used in the Bible. Your theory about the meaning of the word is unfortunately just wrong. The same with your theories about other words. And I find your theology rather unorthodox as well. :(

But all this is rather off-topic for this thread...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LovesOurLord

Jun 19, 2018
Denver
✟15,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
When I was young, I was pro-life. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to just kill their baby for any reason. Then I became pro choice when I heard what the other side had to say.

What did the pro-abortion side say that impressed you?

I find their most common argument seems centered around wanting to mess with anyone they wish and not suffer the natural consequences.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What did the pro-abortion side say that impressed you?

I find their most common argument seems centered around wanting to mess with anyone they wish and not suffer the natural consequences.

I would also like to hear about that.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Because mankind is created in the image of God, it is a very serious thing to deliberately take a human life. The rise in abortions is the result of modernist theology that degrades man down to just being a machine - a product of time and chance. This makes man, in modern eyes, lower than fallen man. At least fallen man was still seen as created in the image of God. No matter whether the baby is in the womb or just been born, it is a painful death for the child. I see in the news how a nurse has been arrested for killing new born babies in the hospital she worked. That is seen as a terrible criminal act, but yet are not abortionists doing the same? And some unwanted babies born in some hospitals are left to starve to death, and it takes 15 days of suffering for that child until it dies. Nurses who had a conscience were fired from their jobs because they decided to feed the child. I think it will absolutely suck for those abortionists and mothers to be standing in the judgment and be faced with their aborted and starved to death children standing before pointing the finger of accusation at them in the Judgment. Believe me, it will come and there will be no escape. Jesus said that it would be better that a millstone be hung around the neck of any one who harmed little children and babies, and be drowned in the sea, than for those callous, godless murderers to stand in God's terrible judgment against them.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My stance on abortion is that even most "for the life of the mother" aren't really for the life of the mother. IOW, the pg might be risky, even exceedingly so. But no one really knows how it might turn out.

To be honest the only exception where I truly vacillate on this is ectopic pg, where the fertilized ovum implants in the fallopian tube. That pregnancy to my knowledge does not ever carry to term. The baby will most certainly die at any rate. In that case, the mother may too--and I have had friends where this indeed almost happened. So in that case you are ONLY saving the mother's life. You cannot save the babies. That tiny tube cannot sustain a nine month pregnancy.
In an ectopic pregnancy the Catholic approach is to treat mother and child both until the fallopian tube needs to be removed for the health of the mother, and the resulting death of the child is an unintended consequence of saving the mother, a reluctant but not sought out consequence. Catholic teaching does not allow a willed abortion for any reason, but does allow for the unintended death of the child in a fallopian tube and the saving of the mother. We don't call that one abortion, at least not directly. It's a hard case, but a rational position in an otherwise overwhelmingly anti-abortion position.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
In an ectopic pregnancy the Catholic approach is to treat mother and child both until the fallopian tube needs to be removed for the health of the mother, and the resulting death of the child is an unintended consequence of saving the mother, a reluctant but not sought out consequence. Catholic teaching does not allow a willed abortion for any reason, but does allow for the unintended death of the child in a fallopian tube and the saving of the mother. We don't call that one abortion, at least not directly. It's a hard case, but a rational position in an otherwise overwhelmingly anti-abortion position.

That is quite a different thing. It is seen as an absolute tragedy and if there was a choice, everything would have been done to save both mother and child. For the Christian mother in this case, there is the joyful expectation of meeting that child in heaven, and there would be total understanding and reconciliation.

But the deliberate killing on an unborn child because of the convenience or non-life-threatening condition of the mother is quite a different thing altogether.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That is quite a different thing. It is seen as an absolute tragedy and if there was a choice, everything would have been done to save both mother and child. For the Christian mother in this case, there is the joyful expectation of meeting that child in heaven, and there would be total understanding and reconciliation.

But the deliberate killing on an unborn child because of the convenience or non-life-threatening condition of the mother is quite a different thing altogether.
Exactly. And I say that as a fully pro-life person. One desires to save both. One never acts to intentionally destroy either. Some necessary treatments have unintended but foreseen consequences.

Upvote 0

YeshuaBought

John 14:3
Jun 30, 2018
Gig Harbor
✟110,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
When I was young, I was pro-life. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to just kill their baby for any reason. Then I became pro choice when I heard what the other side had to say. Things stayed this way for a long time until I started looking into Catholicism. When I started looking at the Catholic way of looking at things, everything started to make sense, and now I think I'm pro life again... even if someone is conceived under awful circumstances, that doesn't give anyone the right to terminate their lives. I know this is a hot button issue but it's something that feels very important to me right now and I feel like I need to tell the world about why abortion is wrong. I feel like I need to do something activist-like. I haven't felt this fired up by a social issue in awhile and it's great!
So many prolifers fail to support the baby after he is born. Why not have some social programs like single payer healthcare? Good griemnf, I thought the point was to be prolife, not probirth. JMO.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So many prolifers fail to support the baby after he is born. Why not have some social programs like single payer healthcare? Good griemnf, I thought the point was to be prolife, not probirth. JMO.
And that of course has absolutely nothing to do with whether abortion is right or wrong.

And there are tons of programs, both government and private to support newborn momswho have financial needs.

As a foster parent, I’m very familiar with Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), which is available to all women in America who have babies and have financial needs. Nobody is left high and dry.

Can we do more? Certainly, and we should. But the topic you’re talking about has 100% no bearing upon the morality of abortion.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

YeshuaBought

John 14:3
Jun 30, 2018
Gig Harbor
✟110,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
And that of course has absolutely nothing to do with whether abortion is right or wrong.

And there are tons of programs, both government and private to support newborn momswho have financial needs.

As a foster parent, I’m very familiar with Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), which is available to all women in America who have babies and have financial needs. Nobody is left high and dry.

Can we do more? Certainly, and we should. But the topic you’re talking about has 100% no bearing upon the morality of abortion.
It has everything to do with it. I support choice because prolifers stop caring once the baby is born. Support the mother or mind your own business.

Upvote 0