My son was punished at school for talking about Jesus!

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The biggest thing that upsets me the most is that my son was being picked on by his classmates. He is one of the most loving and compassionate children I know and I am not just saying that because he is my son. Due to his medical condition, he was so confused as to why his friends became so hostile towards him. It really concerns me as to what the other kids are learning at home that made them so hostile towards Christians.

They ultimately hate Christ within your son.

"Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also." (John 15:20).

This is because Jesus reminds them that they are sinners who are in need of Savior that they do not want currently in their life at the moment. Our response should be to love them despite their hatred like Jesus did on the cross and like Stephen did when he was being stoned by his own accusers. For Jesus said pray, do good, and love your enemies.

Three good Christian movies I would encourage you to check out are:

Champion:

The Redemption of Henry Myers:

The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry:

• Agree
Reactions: 4x4toy
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,073,277.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Today, I withdrew my 1st grade son from the public school system and put him in private school. He has high functioning autism and absolutely loves Jesus so much that he gets upset when it is not his turn to pray at dinner time. His favorite book is his children's Bible and he insists on reading it every day. All this, of course, before public school.

Over the last few months I began to notice that he wasn't as insistent on prayer and did not want to read bible stories. Finally, at dinner time, he told me that he didn't want to pray. So I asked him why, the answer shocked me.

It started around Christmas time when all the kids in class were talking about Santa and Frosty the Snowman. My son told his friends that Christmas was about Jesus and began to share the Gospel. As a result, he was punished by the administrators and he was told that he was being offensive.

Eventually, the other kids in the class started picking on him because he shared Bible stories. When we talked to the school they told us, "Well, if he would just stop talking about Jesus so much then the kids will stop picking on him."

I am absolutely furious that this has happened. So I immediately withdrew him from the public school system and enrolled him into a Christian private school. My question is, "Has anyone else had similar issues with the public school system attacking your child's faith?" If so, how did you handle it?
I have felt persecuted for my faith as an adult Christian. I will pray for your son. However, you might want to reflect on what our Savior said about not tossing your pearls (of spiritual wisdom) to the swine. We are also told, in Proverbs, to be discrete in evil times. These are evil times. A good heart, anxious to help others know our Messiah, is not going to be valued in this society by and large.

There are other factors, too. Some people have had obnoxious people "witness" to them about their version of Jesus and it was a major turn off. That was true for me in my younger years. Some people see a public school as being a purely secular place.

In any case I pray your son will over time have discretion to witness when and as the Holy Spirit leads and that he will be just be happy in his own salvation otherwise. I am sorry the staff and children were so unkind to him at the public school.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No, children of Jesus must never stop spreading the saving truth of the gospel to the lost world.

You don't know who has stopped and who hasn't. You are wrong to criticize people you don't even know. Are you sinless?

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟451,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christians aren't scared wimps for meeting the special needs of their children! Stop criticizing Christian parents who care about their special needs children's lives!

Unfortunately, many people do not understand the daily struggles dealing with a special needs child and feel they must be held to the same standards as any other child. To keep a child who is clearly struggling and whose spirit is being crushed within a den of wolves is to be a cruel parent. It's our JOB to step up and take a different course of action so that the child CAN continue to serve God and as he goes on about life, will be able to spread the gospel in his own unique way.

Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Problems of this life are nothing. Eternity of the lost souls is most precious. Look at the persecution of the Apostles and early Christians. We never experience anything remotely as harsh as they did. Stop being scared whimps and serve Jesus!

So taking a special need's child out of a situation that may not be best for them, the parent is being a scared wimp? Lilac summed it up perfectly.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well our kids are not bullied for religion but I did get mildly bullied for my faith, not that it bothered me too much, my parents were never notified. It started with the fact that the boys called all the girls in school for two really bad insulting things on a daily basis over the years and I did not want to be called any of that so when I started another School I wrote in big bold letters
JESUS IS LORD on one piece of clothing that I wore to school some days in hope that my old nasty nickname would loose its power. My clothes did stick out, some others wore satanic stuff sculls and bloody themes. So I thought if they are allowed their religion then I am allowed mine. It did not last long until I was nicknamed Jesus or some harmless nickname. I prefered that over the former nickname which is maybe too blasphemious to post on this forum. I did have my bible to school and if someone had genuine questions we could look it up in the bible or discuss or I could invite them to the christian student group, we had some short meetings during some breaks. Everybody knew I was a christian but I did not try to force people to believe my way. We need to try to accept each other and their existance although we do not accept each others faith. We need to work on to understand each other, that way we can reach out better. Intolerance breeds war and hate. We might not tolerate sin but we must tolerate the person including ourselves that occationnally sin. And constantly move forward thinking we can do better, forgive and not remain dwelling in bitterness too long. Kids can also be cruel because they are so spontanious in the moment and do not think of the consequenses of what happen to the child they bully. But Yes, I understand the anger felt when a child is punished for doing something good. Then I also understand the situation how it was for me of the cacaphony and loudness when a mob of 15 teenageboys start screaming at me because I wore decent clothes with a message instead of a say someting else. If a teacher hears that He or She think the clothing with the message is the problem so I was also called to the christian headmaster. But I said if I am forbidden to wear this they will start to call me really nasty things and then You have to forbid all satanic writings on clothing too and all satanpictures and demonfaces etc. So nothing really changed. Still in this school people did not fight and bleed on the breaks. That was my former. Oh Yes evolution was also something we had to learn but it turned out that when I asked if the intelligent biology teacher actually himself believes it, so no. He only has to teach it. Fortunatedly we had learned how God created the world first.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,073,277.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Then you have never experienced true persecution.
What do you know about what has gone on in my life? Presuming Omniscience logical fallacy. Do you understand that the purpose of this forum is to pray for persecuted Christian believers and not to make personal comments about others who post here?

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟30,314.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Do you understand that the purpose of this forum is to pray for persecuted Christian believers and not to make personal comments about others who post here?
Yes I do understand this. And true persecution in America would entail outlawing private Christian schools. Since this has not happened and the OP is legally permitted to enroll the child in a Christian school there is no persecution. The child may have been told that he should not be preaching to other children in class but he was not expelled or suspended from school. The choice to move the child to another school was made by the parent not the school or government. If it was my child I may have done the same thing the OP did. But I would not cry persecution. Contrary to some peoples opinions we live in a secular country where we are allowed to worship as we see fit. We do not live in a Christian country where we are allowed to promote one religion over another in a government run institution. Allowing a child to proselytize in a classroom environment is promotion of one religion over another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You don't know who has stopped and who hasn't. You are wrong to criticize people you don't even know. Are you sinless?

It's not about sin. It's aboit doing what Jesus called us to do. The time is short. It's really so. Multitudes of souls are going to hell as we speak. Let's all do something about it!

Upvote 0

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Jesus was thinking of His own well-being and not about saving us, we would have been in big trouble. But, glory to Jesus, He did care about us and was willing to go through immense persecution, injustice, torture and even death...

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟304,048.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes I do understand this. And true persecution in America would entail outlawing private Christian schools. Since this has not happened and the OP is legally permitted to enroll the child in a Christian school there is no persecution. The child may have been told that he should not be preaching to other children in class but he was not expelled or suspended from school. The choice to move the child to another school was made by the parent not the school or government. If it was my child I may have done the same thing the OP did. But I would not cry persecution. Contrary to some peoples opinions we live in a secular country where we are allowed to worship as we see fit. We do not live in a Christian country where we are allowed to promote one religion over another in a government run institution. Allowing a child to proselytize in a classroom environment is promotion of one religion over another.
I think what needs to be done in public schools is if Jesus is banned from the topic of Christmas then so also should be frosty and santa. IOW ban the discussion of Christmas in every form. That seems only fair.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,073,277.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Wow. I bet the OP feels really comforted by your post and your great sympathy for her child.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,073,277.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
P.S. And, again, this forum is for the purpose of praying for those who feel persecuted, whether you agree with their definition or not. It is NOT for judging and criticizing and arguing with them about what happened. Kindly look at the first page and see, and follow, the rules.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,073,277.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Did you read the part in my post where I stated "If it was my child I may have done the same thing the OP did."??
Yes, I saw that part. But I saw all of it and I didn't see you praying for the child and I did see a lot of unasked for "moralizing" and criticizing this and that. Again, that is not the purpose of this forum.

Upvote 0