My son was punished at school for talking about Jesus!

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To the world, the message of the cross is madness.

You should have stayed in the public school as a witness. Now those children in the school will go to hell without a witness about Jesus

My son is 6 years old.

• Informative
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My son is 6 years old.
Those children won't go to hell because you protect your son. God can save sinners wherever they are.

You did the right thing! God will bless you!

Ephesians 6:4
And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Today, I withdrew my 1st grade son from the public school system and put him in private school. He has high functioning autism and absolutely loves Jesus so much that he gets upset when it is not his turn to pray at dinner time. His favorite book is his children's Bible and he insists on reading it every day. All this, of course, before public school.

Over the last few months I began to notice that he wasn't as insistent on prayer and did not want to read bible stories. Finally, at dinner time, he told me that he didn't want to pray. So I asked him why, the answer shocked me.

It started around Christmas time when all the kids in class were talking about Santa and Frosty the Snowman. My son told his friends that Christmas was about Jesus and began to share the Gospel. As a result, he was punished by the administrators and he was told that he was being offensive.

Eventually, the other kids in the class started picking on him because he shared Bible stories. When we talked to the school they told us, "Well, if he would just stop talking about Jesus so much then the kids will stop picking on him."

I am absolutely furious that this has happened. So I immediately withdrew him from the public school system and enrolled him into a Christian private school. My question is, "Has anyone else had similar issues with the public school system attacking your child's faith?" If so, how did you handle it?

Well the fact that the administration took a stance against Christianity is breaking our freedom of religion and is probably grounds for legal action.

On the other hand this does not surprise me as there is a spirit of anti christ growing and a general hatred to all things about God, Jesus, the bible and truth. This is why I home school my children.

God Bless your family and God Bless your son. Let him know the Lord is pleased with him sharing the gospel and the bible warns us they will hate us for it.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Today, I withdrew my 1st grade son from the public school system and put him in private school. He has high functioning autism and absolutely loves Jesus so much that he gets upset when it is not his turn to pray at dinner time. His favorite book is his children's Bible and he insists on reading it every day. All this, of course, before public school.

Over the last few months I began to notice that he wasn't as insistent on prayer and did not want to read bible stories. Finally, at dinner time, he told me that he didn't want to pray. So I asked him why, the answer shocked me.

It started around Christmas time when all the kids in class were talking about Santa and Frosty the Snowman. My son told his friends that Christmas was about Jesus and began to share the Gospel. As a result, he was punished by the administrators and he was told that he was being offensive.

Eventually, the other kids in the class started picking on him because he shared Bible stories. When we talked to the school they told us, "Well, if he would just stop talking about Jesus so much then the kids will stop picking on him."

I am absolutely furious that this has happened. So I immediately withdrew him from the public school system and enrolled him into a Christian private school. My question is, "Has anyone else had similar issues with the public school system attacking your child's faith?" If so, how did you handle it?
Haven't had the same experience here in Central Texas. Most of the public school teachers are Christian so I'm sure they are more understanding of the free exercise of religion.

However you made a good decision to put your child in Christian school where he will be around other Christians.

• Friendly
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

What I would of done... I'd of searched around for a lawyer who is skilled
in such matters regarding religion and school rules/policies and went over the entire matter with him and find out if I could pursue legal action against the teacher and the school administrators.

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
My grandson told the kindergarten kids... Your parents are lying to you! Santa Claus is fake! Christmas is about Jesus Birthday!

The teacher was very upset with him when it happened. But months later, he was the only one that was given a special graduation gift. The teacher gave Riley cds of Bible stories for children.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I wish every parent who withdraws their children from the government schools would also protest property taxes. It is totally unfair to have to pay for two school systems at the same time and for those of us who have no children to keep paying for the school systems via property taxes.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have to be very strong and sure to stand up for Jesus Christ in a public school and keep doing it. You have to be willing to risk everything for Him. How many Christians today are just putting right down on paper the lies of evolution? Well, they want to pass the class. Is it really that important? You have to be ready to count the cost when taking that first step to speak up.

This thread is about a first grader.

Hi vinsight,

I agree! As a believer I don't believe that the Scriptures teach us to be militant regarding our beliefs. We merely need to hold fast to them ourselves. For a first grader, making a big stink or fighting some legal battle over this is more likely to cause the child to be ostracized and further mocked for his beliefs. Now, an adult may want to take on such a plan, but I wouldn't. An adult trying to fight such a battle for a child should consider the effect on the child and his relationships among his peers.

I'm going to stick with using the opportunity as a teaching moment for the child about the differences in what he believes and what others believe and a very good opportunity to explain that God has said that He will forgive us just as we have forgiven others.

Sadly, one of the drawbacks of our supposed freedoms in this country is that it engenders this idea that we have rights that we should fight tooth and nail to protect. As far as I know, those who are born again only have one right. That is the right to be called children of God.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miamited

Ted
Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The child for this thread was only in first grade at that public school. He was already so changed as to how he acted at home. He used to want to pray, now did not. It was taking him down. He has autism and the only right thing to do was to remove him from that environment.

Hi vinsight,

Oh, I agree with what the father did in removing the young boy from that particular school environment, but...

It's also a teaching moment where a parent can sit down with their child and have a heart to heart talk about some of the things that should be expected while living in this life. To give him some understanding of the cost of faith in the Lord as he grows older. To example for him what it means to forgive those who sin against you and mock and mistreat you.

As the father has recounted the story to us, he didn't understand what was causing the changes in his son until he looked deeper into the situation. This is the perfect time now for him to teach his child that in the face of adversity in our faith, we don't stop praying, but we pray more. We don't stop believing in the one true and living God, but we begin to gain understanding of the differences between what we believe and what the world at large believes.

As a young first grade boy, he may have always considered that everyone believes as he does. Now that he has come up against the truth that most people don't, it's time to teach him how to deal with that in a godly manner.

What I can tell you is that my son and I had some of our most heartfelt conversations when I'd sit on the edge of his bed with him and teach him some of the truths about living a life that is wholly devoted to God. On the few occasions when he'd behave poorly, I'd sit on his bed with him and I never made it about how I might be bothered by his actions. My question to him was always, "Do you think that God approves of what you've done?" I can tell you that from all indications today, God honored those teaching moments.

God's admonition to us is that we train up our children in the way that they should go. I believe He intended that to be not only about teaching our children about Him, but also teaching them how to act in all situations how a godly person should handle themselves. My son, now 25, is respectful of everyone and fully understands that not all believe as he does. Knowing and understanding this allows him to step back from adverse situations and know that his responsibility is his faith, not everyone else's. His responsibility is how he responds and not how others respond to him.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

When I was in second grade the teacher used to help us start the day by saying a prayer out loud. One day she announced to us we were no longer allowed to have our morning prayer.

I remember a passage from Jesus' "Sermon on the Mount:"
Matthew 6 (WEB) - Public Domain
5 When you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Most certainly, I tell you, they have received their reward. 6 But you, when you pray, enter into your inner room, and having shut your door, pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I'm curious...you said that your son "was punished by the administrators and he was told that he was being offensive." What was the exact punishment that was inflicted on your child and what exactly was the punishment for? If your son was interrupting the teacher to talk about Jesus during class then the punishment would have been for disrupting class, not for talking about Jesus. On the other hand, if your child was punished because he was talking about Jesus at recess or lunch or on the schoolbus then the school has no right to punish him. School children can pray, talk about their faith or read books holy to their faith during such time.

The school cannot, however, change the attitudes of other children. I remember when I was in high school I had a classmate who was Muslim and who would pray towards Mecca during study hall time; he and his older sister both got picked on by a few of our classmates for doing that. Sometimes children can be cruel.

If the school did punish your child simply for talking about Jesus, you might be able to bring a legal action against the school. That would be one way to make sure that the school doesn't punish other Christian children (or children of other faiths) for talking about their faith during non-class time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those children won't go to hell because you protect your son. God can save sinners wherever they are.

You did the right thing! God will bless you!

Ephesians 6:4
And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

Problems of this life are nothing. Eternity of the lost souls is most precious. Look at the persecution of the Apostles and early Christians. We never experience anything remotely as harsh as they did. Stop being scared whimps and serve Jesus!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I don't have any public school stories, but I was fired once for discussing my Christian beliefs with co-workers. I had this co-worker that kept attacking my Christianity and wouldn't let me be. The Engineer in charge of us decided I had to go and fired me.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Problems of this life are nothing. Eternity of the lost souls is most precious. Look at the persecution of the Apostles and early Christians. We never experience anything remotely as harsh as they did. Stop being scared whimps and serve Jesus!

Christians aren't scared wimps for meeting the special needs of their children! Stop criticizing Christian parents who care about their special needs children's lives!

• Winner
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't have any public school stories, but I was fired once for discussing my Christian beliefs with co-workers. I had this co-worker that kept attacking my Christianity and wouldn't let me be. The Engineer in charge of us decided I had to go and fired me.

May God have mercy.

• Friendly
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
When I was in second grade the teacher used to help us start the day by saying a prayer out loud. One day she announced to us we were no longer allowed to have our morning prayer.

I remember a passage from Jesus' "Sermon on the Mount:"
Matthew 6 (WEB) - Public Domain
5 When you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Most certainly, I tell you, they have received their reward. 6 But you, when you pray, enter into your inner room, and having shut your door, pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

In the fifties we prayed at lunch time in one school that I attended.

Upvote 0