My son was punished at school for talking about Jesus!

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The biggest thing that upsets me the most is that my son was being picked on by his classmates. He is one of the most loving and compassionate children I know and I am not just saying that because he is my son. Due to his medical condition, he was so confused as to why his friends became so hostile towards him. It really concerns me as to what the other kids are learning at home that made them so hostile towards Christians.

Hi jason,

Yeah, but they make great teaching moments. My son and I used to have fairly long and very pleasant conversations about such things. Being about 40 years old myself when I was born again, and understanding what the Scriptures say about each one of us having been just like them, I would use just such a time to sit down and explain the truth to him. That life isn't fair and most people don't believe as we do. That those children, remember, we are talking about children here as far as the mocking in class, just haven't been taught the truth of things. Even some of his friends and acquaintances that he may know as christians...may not be. We need to learn and we need to be able to teach our children how to cope and react to such events. While you can't say to them that they are ignorant, you can certainly know in your own heart that they are ignorant of the things of God, but that it probably isn't their fault.

This is a perfect opportunity to take the time to warn him about other problems that may crop up. As we have been discussing here, the creation of all things. The school system and the secular world is going to teach our children some pretty wild and weird 'truths' about where we came from and how we got here. Our newspapers and science books are going to fill his head with crazy ideas about there being life on other planets. That God's call to us is to set ourselves apart from the world at large. To be holy as He is holy. That christians don't believe the things that others believe about our origins and what's important in life. This is when you attempt to gird his loins for the battle to come. And it will come!

The Scriptures encourage us to train up a child in the way that he should go. I don't think God's talking about what a child might learn in school. He's talking about parents taking the initiative to train up their children in the way that they should go. God commanded the parents of Israel to write His law on their doorposts and to talk about the things of God when they awoke and as they journeyed through the day and when they lay down at night. Unfortunately, most parents fail miserably concerning that command.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

• Winner
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi jason,

Yeah, but they make great teaching moments. My son and I used to have fairly long and very pleasant conversations about such things. Being about 40 years old myself when I was born again, and understanding what the Scriptures say about each one of us having been just like them, I would use just such a time to sit down and explain the truth to him. That life isn't fair and most people don't believe as we do. That those children, remember, we are talking about children here as far as the mocking in class, just haven't been taught the truth of things. Even some of his friends and acquaintances that he may know as christians...may not be. We need to learn and we need to be able to teach our children how to cope and react to such events. While you can't say to them that they are ignorant, you can certainly know in your own heart that they are ignorant of the things of God, but that it probably isn't their fault.

This is a perfect opportunity to take the time to warn him about other problems that may crop up. As we have been discussing here, the creation of all things. The school system and the secular world is going to teach our children some pretty wild and weird 'truths' about where we came from and how we got here. Our newspapers and science books are going to fill his head with crazy ideas about there being life on other planets. That God's call to us is to set ourselves apart from the world at large. To be holy as He is holy. That christians don't believe the things that others believe about our origins and what's important in life. This is when you attempt to gird his loins for the battle to come. And it will come!

The Scriptures encourage us to train up a child in the way that he should go. I don't think God's talking about what a child might learn in school. He's talking about parents taking the initiative to train up their children in the way that they should go. God commanded the parents of Israel to write His law on their doorposts and to talk about the things of God when they awoke and as they journeyed through the day and when they lay down at night. Unfortunately, most parents fail miserably concerning that command.

God bless,
In Christ, ted
The world isn't fair. But then, God be thanked that He didn't leave us to our just deserts, John 3.16. :)

Upvote 0

messianist

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
a
✟282,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is tough, as we are surrounded by worldly people, the scripture that comes to mind:

To those who are perishing, we are a dreadful smell of death and doom. But to those who are being saved, we are a life-giving perfume. And who is adequate for such a task as this?

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Today, I withdrew my 1st grade son from the public school system and put him in private school. He has high functioning autism and absolutely loves Jesus so much that he gets upset when it is not his turn to pray at dinner time. His favorite book is his children's Bible and he insists on reading it every day. All this, of course, before public school.

Over the last few months I began to notice that he wasn't as insistent on prayer and did not want to read bible stories. Finally, at dinner time, he told me that he didn't want to pray. So I asked him why, the answer shocked me.

It started around Christmas time when all the kids in class were talking about Santa and Frosty the Snowman. My son told his friends that Christmas was about Jesus and began to share the Gospel. As a result, he was punished by the administrators and he was told that he was being offensive.

Eventually, the other kids in the class started picking on him because he shared Bible stories. When we talked to the school they told us, "Well, if he would just stop talking about Jesus so much then the kids will stop picking on him."

I am absolutely furious that this has happened. So I immediately withdrew him from the public school system and enrolled him into a Christian private school. My question is, "Has anyone else had similar issues with the public school system attacking your child's faith?" If so, how did you handle it?

You leaving them, places them under the judgement of hell fire. When witnesses leave, then comes judgement upon the enemies of the Cross. May they suffer total wreck and ruin in the hands of the Lord.

The Lord Bless your child, for he is counted as an angel, give him many Godly kisses on behalf of the Body of Christ.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Today, I withdrew my 1st grade son from the public school system and put him in private school. He has high functioning autism and absolutely loves Jesus so much that he gets upset when it is not his turn to pray at dinner time. His favorite book is his children's Bible and he insists on reading it every day. All this, of course, before public school.

Over the last few months I began to notice that he wasn't as insistent on prayer and did not want to read bible stories. Finally, at dinner time, he told me that he didn't want to pray. So I asked him why, the answer shocked me.

It started around Christmas time when all the kids in class were talking about Santa and Frosty the Snowman. My son told his friends that Christmas was about Jesus and began to share the Gospel. As a result, he was punished by the administrators and he was told that he was being offensive.

Eventually, the other kids in the class started picking on him because he shared Bible stories. When we talked to the school they told us, "Well, if he would just stop talking about Jesus so much then the kids will stop picking on him."

I am absolutely furious that this has happened. So I immediately withdrew him from the public school system and enrolled him into a Christian private school. My question is, "Has anyone else had similar issues with the public school system attacking your child's faith?" If so, how did you handle it?
The Scripture says that all those who live godly in Jesus will suffer persecution, and that is not limited to adults. Evil people will persecute godly adults and children because they don't want to face their sins and to be reminded that they are headed on the wide road to destruction.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Scripture says that all those who live godly in Jesus will suffer persecution, and that is not limited to adults. Evil people will persecute godly adults and children because they don't want to face their sins and to be reminded that they are headed on the wide road to destruction.

Thanks oscarr,

That's right! This is also the perfect time to take out the Scriptures and open up to Mark 14:65. Then some began to spit at him; they blindfolded him, struck him with their fists, and said, “Prophesy!” And the guards took him and beat him.

Explain that this is what they did to Jesus and Jesus has given us a fairly sure promise that believers and followers of his will likely face much the same.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi jason,

Then finally, after having done all that teaching of your child to address this situation you have to ask him the question: what are we supposed to do?

Jesus said of his mockers, "Father, forgive them. For they don't know what they are doing."

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I don't like public schools because I think that with so many people in one building, things are bound to go wrong sooner or later. I never went to a private Christian school, but I was in an independent boys choir, and a lot of the kids were from private schools. I thought some of them were kind of arrogant jerks. I also knew some families who ended up putting their kids in private school because they had behavioral problems in the public school. Your kid may have to eventually learn the time and place for sharing and "a pick your battles" mentality. I imagine he might actually have an easier time in this new school, but don't be surprised if you encounter new problems at the new school as well. Tell the kid to toughen up a little. Sooner or later he is going to have to learn to interact with wider society.

Upvote 0

GUANO

Jul 3, 2013
Los Angeles
✟32,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Punch them right in the mouth and then ask for forgiveness is how you handle THAT!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Back in the eighties, my daughter spoke to a girl in her elementary school about Jesus. My daughter said the girl started punching her. So I went to the assistant principal and told her what happened. She dismissed the violence and said, "Your daughter shouldn't be talking about Jesus at school."

• Friendly
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,078.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Bless that little boy.

I teach in a highly specialized behaviour program. I only have 6 kids in my class and they rotate through every 5 months. Last rotation had one atheist kid who had a problem with christians. As a teacher, I let my kids talk about what they want so long as they can do it respectfully. The minority (by FAR) of my students are christians (regardless of what their family may or may not believe) but for the most part, communications between believers and nonbelievers has been manageable. However, the boy I had mentioned before had such a vehement hatred of Christians that at times, he wasn't permitted to be in the class to speak.

With THAT said, he came about that hatred honestly. He had attended a catholic school and had Christian people ALL OVER saying terrible things about him AS A PERSON (not the "you're going to hell" stuff. He just laughed at that anyways); things like how small/ weak/ stupid he was; How he still peed himself and how that made him 'retarded". He was treated poorly by those Christians. And then sadly, he was sent back to that school after his time with us. I hope he's doing okay.

It makes me sad when I see children treating others poorly because there is only ONE place where that attitude and behaviour are condoned. In the home.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
jason_delisle,

autism graphic.gif
Autism always unique.jpeg

Autism Glitter.gif
autism-cover.jpg

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Bless that little boy.

I teach in a highly specialized behaviour program. I only have 6 kids in my class and they rotate through every 5 months. Last rotation had one atheist kid who had a problem with christians. As a teacher, I let my kids talk about what they want so long as they can do it respectfully. The minority (by FAR) of my students are christians (regardless of what their family may or may not believe) but for the most part, communications between believers and nonbelievers has been manageable. However, the boy I had mentioned before had such a vehement hatred of Christians that at times, he wasn't permitted to be in the class to speak.

With THAT said, he came about that hatred honestly. He had attended a catholic school and had Christian people ALL OVER saying terrible things about him AS A PERSON (not the "you're going to hell" stuff. He just laughed at that anyways); things like how small/ weak/ stupid he was; How he still peed himself and how that made him 'retarded". He was treated poorly by those Christians. And then sadly, he was sent back to that school after his time with us. I hope he's doing okay.

It makes me sad when I see children treating others poorly because there is only ONE place where that attitude and behaviour are condoned. In the home.
:sick: :sigh: :cry::rage: :praying:

Upvote 0

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

To the world, the message of the cross is madness.

You should have stayed in the public school as a witness. Now those children in the school will go to hell without a witness about Jesus

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My question is, "Has anyone else had similar issues with the public school system attacking your child's faith?" If so, how did you handle it?
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. matthew 5:10.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
To the world, the message of the cross is madness.

You should have stayed in the public school as a witness. Now those children in the school will go to hell without a witness about Jesus
This is a little baby boy with autism, He needed to be taken out of public school and placed with children who he can communicate with just exactly as the father did. Children just mock what they see in their homes.
Us christians are "sadly" dropping the ball in many areas like standing for our christian rights in public schools, but it needs to us adults fight the battle, not leave it to our innocent children that are not even under accountability.

Upvote 0

Beautyinsteadofashes

Site Supporter
May 16, 2017
Mathews
✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I have not had a similar issue, my children are quite young. However, after reading your post I just want to commend you for the choice that you made and standing up for your faith and your son’s. He seems like quite the awesome little guy. :)

Upvote 0