Not open for further replies.

biggums

Sep 1, 2010
✟7,612.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Help! My son just sent us an email telling us he is gay. We can not believe this! He is 33 yrs old and has always been dating girls.
What do we say to him? He is very sensitive and I know the Bible
tells us in 1 cor. 6:9 that homosexual offenders will not inherit the kingdom of God. I am a Christian mother.

Thanks.
Biggums

Evenstar253

somewhere else
Feb 3, 2009
PA
✟16,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know what would be best to say to him, since I'd be coming at the issue of homosexuality from a different angle. I think I can safely say, regardless of your views on homosexuality, that the most important thing is that he's still your son and desperately needs your love and the knowledge that you accept him unconditionally. I'm not saying you have to change your views, but he needs to know that you still support him as a person. If you come across as judgmental right now, you're likely to lose his trust.

I'm probably not saying much you don't already know, and I don't know how you've responded thus far, but sadly there are Christian families who essentially disown their children when they come out as gay or lesbian, often pushing them away forever.

Upvote 0

Anabella

Sep 1, 2010
✟15,246.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Does he believes in God? that's the important point.
I've known some people who like people of their same sex, let me tell you something being homosexual is a way of living, probably in the life of your son is an emotional hole that he needs to fill, and he is looking for that in a incorrect way (the devil deceives people with that), let me tell you that there is hope, do not worry, God is the God of the impossible, He can make all things new, because of that I was wondering if your son is a Christian, because if he has the desire to fight against it, God will guide him and you as parents. Jesus gives freedom. I think you should show much love in this time, because it must be hard for him having to tell you, his biggest fear in this moment should be the rejection of you, so you should never reject him or it will cause many wounds, Support him and trust in God, give him advices according to the Scriptures. I'll be praying for you.
I have some experiencie with this, if you have question please, don't hesitate asking me.
With love, Anabella.

Upvote 0

Nova Scotian Boy

Grand Sasquatch
Jan 19, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
✟20,180.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I don't know what would be best to say to him, since I'd be coming at the issue of homosexuality from a different angle. I think I can safely say, regardless of your views on homosexuality, that the most important thing is that he's still your son and desperately needs your love and the knowledge that you accept him unconditionally. I'm not saying you have to change your views, but he needs to know that you still support him as a person. If you come across as judgmental right now, you're likely to lose his trust.

I'm probably not saying much you don't already know, and I don't know how you've responded thus far, but sadly there are Christian families who essentially disown their children when they come out as gay or lesbian, often pushing them away forever.

I don't think this can be stressed more. What ever way you see Homosexuality, either way im assuming he is feeling very alone right now. If he knows God and is a Christian then this is probable even harder, especially in the light of conservative Christian upbringing. He will be confused, the last thing he needs is to be disowned.

Upvote 0

AngCath

Jul 7, 2005
✟12,588.00
Faith
Anglican
As has been said, what would be best (based on my interactions with gay friends) would be for you to make it absolutely clear that you are listening to what he has to say, thankful that he trusted you with the information, and love him just as much as you ever did.
I certainly do not want to denigrate yours or anyone else's conservative Christianity, but there are churches out there that would be fully supportive of your son.

Upvote 0

dawnsday

Senior Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Help! My son just sent us an email telling us he is gay. We can not believe this! He is 33 yrs old and has always been dating girls.
What do we say to him? He is very sensitive and I know the Bible
tells us in 1 cor. 6:9 that homosexual offenders will not inherit the kingdom of God. I am a Christian mother.

Thanks.
Biggums

Maybe, replace the behavior here. Think of it, like, how would you react if he told you he was a pathological liar? Or a theif? Sin is Sin and there are a multitude. If the belief is that homosexuality is a sin, remember there are a lot of other sins, that can be a problem, too, so react as you would with them, with love, support and care, without judgement, and remember that his reconciliation can only be between him and God, you can't save him. Only Christ can. So, don't try to save him, just love him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.