my son is an athiest

L

Lyndie

My son(20 yrs old) and I were talking yesterday and he admitted to being an atheist. He never wanted to go to church, and Imo, part of that was because his dad didn't. I did ask him a few years ago if he believed in 'god' and he said yes, but told me he only said it so I wouldn't get mad. I feel like I have been a horrible witness now, that maybe I didn't show my faith enough, or should have been more firm on the going to church issue...I don't know. I am dissappointed and not sure what I can say to him. He says one of the main reasons is he doesn't understand why a god gives us free will but then would send us to hell for not believing in him. I couldn't answer him...after being in church for ten years you'd think I have an answer but I don't.

homeofmew

Master Trainer
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟28,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Did you force him to go to church at any time when he didn't want to.
I went through a whole agnostic phase myself after I was 18-23ish
Mainly because religion and churchanity was shoved down my throat for x number of years. Make sure he knows believing in God and Jesus and what was done is more important than organized religion.

Upvote 0

Jeremiah1

Nov 19, 2010
✟7,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lyndie,
A friend of mine who was an atheist for a couple decades in recent years has become a diligent Christian, and in fact, even a full-time preacher. And now he is better equipped than most others are to talk to atheists and skeptics.

Of course we don't know what the future holds for your son, but just sharing this as a word of hope. It may well be that God is at work in this and will bring it to a glorious end.

Meanwhile, let him know you love him unconditionally. Don't force the issue or you will only drive him further away.

If you think he would be open/interested, there is a video of "The Case for Christ" and The Case for Faith" by Lee Strobel on netflix instant play, if you have netflix. They're both very good.

But again, don't force it, show him love no matter what and let him explore his own journey, all the while praying with love, hope, and faith.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Its not uncommon for teenagers to not have have really good information about Christian belief and the grounds for it, leaving them vulnerable as they get older and start to develop their own beliefs and values. Churches don't address that issue very well.

There is plenty of good material around, but he must be ready to look at it. Forcing it onto him could be counter productive.

John
NZ

Upvote 0