my selfpainted icons, critics welcome :)

KisKatte

Jesus, send us your Holy Spirit.
Feb 1, 2020
Karlsruhe
✟52,937.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I painted my first two Icons :). And the big painting of Spyridon is the idea from an icon from the russian Icon painter Anna Baibakova :). Hope you like it. Does my jesus have an too evil look????

jesusikone1.jpg

Spyridon2.jpg

SpyridonIcon.jpg

Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I painted my first two Icons :). And the big painting of Spyridon is the idea from an icon from the russian Icon painter Anna Baibakova :). Hope you like it. Does my jesus have an too evil look????

View attachment 331370

View attachment 331371

View attachment 331372
I don't think you're Jesus looks evil, but I think this could have been a sort of face He may have made when He was saying "How long must I bear with you? (Matthew 17:17) He honestly looks better than the one on our iconostas.

Upvote 0

KisKatte

Feb 1, 2020
Karlsruhe
✟52,937.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't think you're Jesus looks evil, but I think this could have been a sort of face He may have made when He was saying "How long must I bear with you? (Matthew 17:17) He honestly looks better than the one on our iconostas.
Oh okay thank you so much. The leader of our woman monastery said I should correct some lines so that he looks more friendly. Do not know how to do this. Do you have any clue? What lines in the face around the eyes could I correct and how? Thank you so much.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh okay thank you so much. The leader of our woman monastery said I should correct some lines so that he looks more friendly. Do not know how to do this. Do you have any clue? What lines in the face around the eyes could I correct and how? Thank you so much.
I've not received any sort of training in iconography. Maybe have little to no eye white showing beneath His pupils, and perhaps some darker shading under and around the eyes, etc. But this is only my uneducated opinion. I haven't dabbled in iconography myself.

Reactions: KisKatte
Upvote 0

KisKatte

Feb 1, 2020
Karlsruhe
✟52,937.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
they don’t look to bad to me, are you studying from an iconographer?
My mother told me to paint icons. I studied the Jesus icon from a online russian lesson on russian technique to write icons. But the face is my own. The Spyridon icon I painted as a copy from existing icons on the internet. I studied from my mother, who, herself studied from teachers here in Germany.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

KisKatte

Feb 1, 2020
Karlsruhe
✟52,937.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Very nice. Is there a standard or pattern to doing these?
I am not aware of all patterns. The russian technique I used is from darker colours to lighter colours. The Nose should be always like this: straight and slightly view from the side with a shadow on one side for the 3d effect ... I am not aware of any patterns. There exist different techniques in the world.

• Informative
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My mother told me to paint icons. I studied the Jesus icon from a online russian lesson on russian technique to write icons. But the face is my own. The Spyridon icon I painted as a copy from existing icons on the internet. I studied from my mother, who, herself studied from teachers here in Germany.
gotcha. well, keep honing your skills and practicing. iconography is a great ministry.

Reactions: KisKatte
Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

View attachment 331370

View attachment 331371

View attachment 331372
A very good beginning. If you want to continue to grow there are plenty of iconographers now that are offering online tutorials for a few.

One of our very own, Ikonographics, offers affordable online tutorials if you are interested. She studied under Dr. George Kordis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A very good beginning. If you want to continue to grow there are plenty of iconographers now that are offering online tutorials for a few.

One of our very own, Ikonographics, offers affordable online tutorials if you are interested. She studied under Dr. George Kordis.

St Tikhon’s Monastery is also starting an icon studio where they will train people.

Upvote 0

KisKatte

Feb 1, 2020
Karlsruhe
✟52,937.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
St Tikhon’s Monastery is also starting an icon studio where they will train people.
do you have an online address of this monastery. Otherwise I do not know wich monastery. Maybe I could apply there as student.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
do you have an online address of this monastery. Otherwise I do not know wich monastery. Maybe I could apply there as student.
it’s not done yet, but it’s St Tikhon’s in PA.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums