Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Were you raised Lutheran? (it's one of the larger groups in Finland, which is why I ask). Lutherans don't presume our faith is predicated on reason, but revelation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jmldn2

Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hi everybody

I was raised in a creationist family, but abandoned the literal interpretation of the Bible before high school.

I'm now a college student, who has an atheist roommate. We are in the same logics classes, and I'm finding myself not able to defend my faith. It's kind of a competition between us, trying to outsmart each other. I've always tried to be a rational person, and now it's eating me up that there seems to be a major part of my life that doesn't make any sense. Now that I try to remember back what I have been taught at church and at home, all the lessons are on the surface level, but the foundation, the evidence for the existence of God just isn't there. I always just took it for granted.

I also work as a security guard, so I have time to think about these things, but I can't read about it at work. I know there likely won't be any quick and easy answers, but I'll try to devote as much of my free time to this as I can.

I've tried praying, but I haven't found answers. Now I'm asking for your help: What are the most convincing arguments for the existence of God?
(It would be really cool if the argument was in a proper logical form, but really, any good argument or evidence is appreciated.)

I used to belong to a site where there were Christians and atheists. Some people just will never be convinced about the existence of God, no matter how well you defend your belief.

My suggestion would be to study quietly, often and pray for the Spirit to help you discern the Word and help you to share it. We are to be able to defend our faith whenever we are questioned. However, it's like any other subject, we must know our issue and understand how to convey that to others.

Memorize scripture which supports your convictions. Pray for God to bring those scriptures to mind at the right time.

Living out in your daily life what you believe to be true is probably the best evidence of what you believe. Be courageous and be not afraid to defend your faith.

Upvote 0

Smylie

Dec 24, 2017
Ontario
✟22,342.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The atheists will just say, "the burden of proof for God is on you, the believer."
Yep, and after that is said then it's time to move on. At that point, the atheist will ask themselves why they're asking you questions and competing with you in the first place.

Upvote 0

jmldn2

Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Yep, and after that is said then it's time to move on. At that point, the atheist will ask themselves why they're asking you questions and competing with you in the first place.

I must disagree with your logic to "move on." I have had many conversations with atheists and some of them were highly educated and well read into many subjects.

They stand firm in their belief of no God.

Upvote 0

Smylie

Dec 24, 2017
Ontario
✟22,342.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I must disagree with your logic to "move on." I have had many conversations with atheists and some of them were highly educated and well read into many subjects.

They stand firm in their belief of no God.
Yes, when I say "move on" I mean don't bother trying to convince them otherwise, they don't want to change their minds so nothing one says will have an effect.

Reactions: jmldn2
Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi everybody

I was raised in a creationist family, but abandoned the literal interpretation of the Bible before high school.

I'm now a college student, who has an atheist roommate. We are in the same logics classes, and I'm finding myself not able to defend my faith. It's kind of a competition between us, trying to outsmart each other. I've always tried to be a rational person, and now it's eating me up that there seems to be a major part of my life that doesn't make any sense. Now that I try to remember back what I have been taught at church and at home, all the lessons are on the surface level, but the foundation, the evidence for the existence of God just isn't there. I always just took it for granted.

I also work as a security guard, so I have time to think about these things, but I can't read about it at work. I know there likely won't be any quick and easy answers, but I'll try to devote as much of my free time to this as I can.

I've tried praying, but I haven't found answers. Now I'm asking for your help: What are the most convincing arguments for the existence of God?
(It would be really cool if the argument was in a proper logical form, but really, any good argument or evidence is appreciated.)
I hope you continue to post. It would be nice to have someone in debates that didn't just resort to the handiest logical fallacy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums