Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I pray Stabat that you find peace. I sympathise with your struggle, as I literally felt churchless for many years.

There is no perfect church, for we who make up the Church are imperfect. If you set your sights on finding a true church, however imperfect, you may be satisfied. One can find peace—I did in any case. I wish you could find what I have found, wherever that may be for you: Catholic, Lutheran or Orthodox (I have communed in all three). God bless.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Why is most everyone in this thread bidding him fond fair well? We know as Catholics that the best way to stay close to Christ, to remain a Christian, free from sin and error, is to remain within the womb of Holy Church. I grew up in a very godly, confessional Lutheran church too. I can point to numerous things the confessional Lutherans have over novus ordo Catholics, but this isn't about church polity, economy, subjective experience, the behavior of clergy, but objective truth.
It's because we have been through the wringer too and feel what the OP feels even if we are not going to up and leave. Pope Francis has been hard on us. The faith has gotten really hard. You are right though. Magna est veritas et prevalebit. Subjectively it isn't going so well. Objectively God will keep us as we persevere. This is a fallen comrade in arms. Some could say 'traitor' but I see it as a badly shell shocked comrade who I will be praying for. He's not the only one wounded in recent years.

• Useful
Reactions: KevinC1129
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi Stabat. My heart goes out to you. I've been following your problems with the church for many a year now, and I kind of saw this coming. I feel like a kindred spirit since the same issues have left me lapsed as well. Yet I have so many wonderful memories of being Catholic that I have to say I'm grieving over your loss as well.

The Catholic Church is a good place -- but throughout history it has had it's mountains and valleys, and right now it's just going through a pretty dark valley. It will eventually pull itself out and reform, I just don't know that I can hang in there until then, or even if it will happen in my lifetime.

I know you have to go where your conscience leads you, as do I. I trust in the integrity of the spiritual quest. Everything we learn along the way has value. And HE is waiting at the end. Carry your sword and shield, and stay on the path--falling into sin casts a veil of confusion over the whole thing.

I'd like to send you a PM, but right now that is not an option.

The road goes ever on and on
out from the door where it has been.
Now far ahead the road has gone
and I must follow if I can.
Pursuing it with weary feet
until it joins some larger way,
where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,441.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Imagine living in the Catholic faith several hundred years ago! With tyrannical Popes and a lot of evil within and without! Plus during persecutions!

The church has been through much tougher times.

Stand firm. Ride the storm with Jesus at the helm.

Reactions: Tomm
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Imagine living in the Catholic faith several hundred years ago! With tyrannical Popes and a lot of evil within and without! Plus during persecutions!

The church has been through much tougher times.

Stand firm. Ride the storm with Jesus at the helm.
I think this is more like living as a Catholic during the times of the scandalous popes of the Reformation Era. And we all know how they effected many Catholics. The Church can't get around the fact that scandal will have its casualties. The longer it waits to reform, the greater the mortality rate will be.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,441.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think this is more like living as a Catholic during the times of the scandalous popes of the Reformation Era. And we all know how they effected many Catholics. The Church can't get around the fact that scandal will have its casualties. The longer it waits to reform, the greater the mortality rate will be.

This is where people truly have to put their trust in God.

Reactions: Open Heart
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not to start anything, just sharing where I am at and why with this. It's not that I don't trust God - it is because I don't want to offend Him, that I consider moving on.

When I look at history, and then it looks like some of the supreme claims of the papacy are false. I don't want to offend God by supporting something that is prideful, self serving, and corrupt - and seems heretical and not in line with Apostolic ways.

I know it sounds harsh, and I don't want to make trouble - but it's the only way to describe how I feel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Sorry to be "that guy", but fellow non-Catholics and Catholics eyeing the door: you know this is the Catholic confessional forum, so the rule regarding not posting anything contrary to the faith of the forum which is represented by the confessional forum applies here just as much as it would in The Ancient Way, Voice in the Desert, etc. The Catholics have a right to have this be a safe haven of sorts, which I don't think the OP violated by posting this thread, but it could be argued that some of the subsequent replies do.

For both the OP and those who have expressed dismay at his decision, let's just pray. Anything beyond that could get the thread shut down.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'll be "that guy" ;)

MOD HAT ON
OBOB welcomes non-Catholic guests who wish to fellowship or ask respectful questions.

Definition of a Fellowship Post

It is not:
It is not debate.
It is not apologetics.
It is not answering questions related to the beliefs of the group.
It is not teaching in any way on any issue

Posts that violate this rule could be deleted or staff may need to take further action. Please abide by the rules of each sub-forum and Faith Community.

MOD HAT OFF

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Got it - sorry. Where is the place to discuss some of the Catholic issues I struggle with?
Discussion and questions are welcome, and if you are Catholic one can go further. But even non-Catholics are welcome to ask questions. Non-Catholics are just not allowed to teach, debate, or answer questions addressed to Catholic members. For a discussion including non-Catholic questions the proper forum might be General Theology, Denomination Specific Theology, Controversial Christian Theology, or one of the other fitting forums based on the questions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Please folk

I'm speaking as someone who has known Stabat for a looooong time here - he's had many problems and not being in the USA he has not had a Catholic Church on every street corner so if he wasn't happy in one parish he could not just go to another a short distance away.

He has struggled , he's tried other Churches who also were not exactly on his doorstep and as yet has not found a home - he will in time, but he just needs your prayers of support and does not need to be told that there is only one place he should be.

No-one leaves one Church for another easily - there's a huge amount of soul searching that goes on. I was very very lucky to be accepted by my present Community long before I made the decision to ask for Reception there. They supported me through a very rough patch - no pressure , no questions asked of me - they showed me love and charity. It was a good 2 years of struggle for me , before I was ready.

I'm now at peace - my former Clergy have accepted my reasons and I am lucky that I am still on very good terms with them. I keep them in my prayers and I know they keep me in theirs.

Stabat - be at peace - just keep your eyes on Him Who made you - He will show you where your home is

Upvote 0

Porpoise

Aug 8, 2018
United States
✟70,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have to admit I have difficulty understanding the struggle that others are describing. Where is our faith? Didn't Jesus say "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it"? Even though others may interpret it differently, we (probably at least some of us) each came to this understanding of it through our studies, and determined that it supports the Catholic Church and its apostolic succession. I think it was also understood that this was a matter of faith, that we were meant to believe this as we believe anything else we know from scripture, even when we don't see it for ourselves. If we understood this before, when things were easier, why should we change our understanding now, because things have gotten harder? What can alter what we know by faith?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please folk

I'm speaking as someone who has known Stabat for a looooong time here - he's had many problems and not being in the USA he has not had a Catholic Church on every street corner so if he wasn't happy in one parish he could not just go to another a short distance away.

He has struggled , he's tried other Churches who also were not exactly on his doorstep and as yet has not found a home - he will in time, but he just needs your prayers of support and does not need to be told that there is only one place he should be.

No-one leaves one Church for another easily - there's a huge amount of soul searching that goes on. I was very very lucky to be accepted by my present Community long before I made the decision to ask for Reception there. They supported me through a very rough patch - no pressure , no questions asked of me - they showed me love and charity. It was a good 2 years of struggle for me , before I was ready.

I'm now at peace - my former Clergy have accepted my reasons and I am lucky that I am still on very good terms with them. I keep them in my prayers and I know they keep me in theirs.

Stabat - be at peace - just keep your eyes on Him Who made you - He will show you where your home is
This is also the Catholic Subforum. It's ok to encourage souls to stay. It's difficult to be both supportive, and watch people leave. We don't have to encourage souls to leave or embrace every part of what they want to do, to remain friends in Christ. It's ok to not encourage folks to leave, too. Honesty is good. But it's also good to plead for what you feel is right. Even if all your friends seem headed towards the door. Even if people leave, anyway.

Upvote 0