My Reality Challenge

Does reality dictate Saturn as our sixth planet?

• Total voters

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Answer: Because you're scared of the pain a cover-up of your solar system tattoo?
I have a better example than a tattoo.

Remember the Arecibo message that was sent into space?

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know. I don't teach chemistry. However, perhaps THIS is an example of the type of new knowledge he was referring to.
Cool article! However, nothing in it suggests what has been taught in HS chemistry classes was wrong. Hydrogen bonds still hold molecules together.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟665,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cool article! However, nothing in it suggests what has been taught in HS chemistry classes was wrong. Hydrogen bonds still hold molecules together.
It was part below that suggests it may have been taught differently. BTW he teaches graduate chemistry classes at a public university not high school. Are you trying to make an argument that Chemistry is a static science and has not made significant changes over the last 20 or 30 years?

"Krylov and her colleagues demonstrated that protons are not obligated to travel along hydrogen bonds, as previously believed. The finding suggests that protons may move efficiently in stacked systems of molecules, which are common in plant biomass, membranes, DNA and elsewhere."

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It was part below that suggests it may have been taught differently. BTW he teaches graduate chemistry classes at a public university not high school. Are you trying to make an argument that Chemistry is a static science and has not made significant changes over the last 20 or 30 years?

"Krylov and her colleagues demonstrated that protons are not obligated to travel along hydrogen bonds, as previously believed. The finding suggests that protons may move efficiently in stacked systems of molecules, which are common in plant biomass, membranes, DNA and elsewhere."

Right, when hydrogen bonds ("roads") are absent, they make their own "roads." To suggest that everything taught twenty years ago was wrong, is absurd.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟665,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right, when hydrogen bonds ("roads") are absent, they make their own "roads." To suggest that everything taught twenty years ago was wrong, is absurd.
Yes we are in agreement to suggest that "everything" (or even most things) taught twenty years ago was wrong would be absurd.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes we are in agreement to suggest that "everything" (or even most things) taught twenty years ago was wrong would be absurd.
So why did you paraphrase your friend, when you said this:

"Reminds me of what a co-worker of mine said, who is a college chemistry teacher. "I spent the first 20 years flunking students for not knowing, what we now know is wrong." He was exaggerating a bit, but he was sincere in his sentiment."

Sounds like you're talking out both sides of your mouth.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I think you guys insisted it was a planet too at one time, so I wouldn't talk.
I have never insisted on that.

The question shouldn't be: "Why do I think Pluto is our ninth planet?"
And that never has been the question. The question was: What do you mean when saying "planet".
You said "[Pluto is] a God given planet". So what do you mean by "planet"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jacks

Er Victus
Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟665,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So why did you paraphrase your friend, when you said this:

"Reminds me of what a co-worker of mine said, who is a college chemistry teacher. "I spent the first 20 years flunking students for not knowing, what we now know is wrong." He was exaggerating a bit, but he was sincere in his sentiment."

Sounds like you're talking out both sides of your mouth.

Because that is what he said. He didn't say or even imply as you said "everything taught twenty years ago was wrong". If the point is lost on you, so be it; however this is no excuse for you to become insulting.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Because that is what he said. He didn't say or even imply as you said "everything taught twenty years ago was wrong". If the point is lost on you, so be it; however this is no excuse for you to become insulting.
Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟293,710.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Because when I point out that, for 76 years, reality dictated Pluto to be considered our ninth planet, I get some educated propaganda that equates to: "No it didn't".

If you keep picking at that scab, the old wound will never heal. The issue has been explained to you. I don't understand why you keep bringing this up.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Saturn is our sixth planet from the sun.

Is this reality?

Just YES or NO please.

Anything else will be considered as an attempt to confuse - not clarify - the issue.
I would say YES.

But maybe it went away since I last checked.

So I say NO.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
All that after-the-fact.

Remember Thalidomide?

Assuming Thalidomide was a mistake, it was one of the most notorious after-the-fact tragedies around.

While scientists were leaning on Frances Kelsey to okay it in the United States, children in the wombs* were mutating.

(But then we're mutants anyway, aren't we? ;))

* That would be "fetuses" to the educated.

Honorable mentions are the Titanic and the Hindenburg.
Scientists make mistakes. But thats human.

Politicians hurt more with the Iraq War.

Christians hurt more with the Inquisition.

Its what people do: make mistakes. Scientists arent "special" in this regard. Why would they be?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Scientists arent "special" in this regard. Why would they be?
But scientists look forward to eventually being shown to be wrong.

They go through this elaborate method to establish how right they are; then look forward to being shown wrong with another discovery.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

They go through this elaborate method to establish how right they are; then look forward to being shown wrong with another discovery.
Do you look forward to being wrong, av?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Do they?

I dont think so.

Upvote 0