Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The bible also says that plants that need insects for pollination came before insects.

Thoughts?
Yup.

Earth before the sun ... etc.

That, to me, is just so cool.

Ahhh ... the miracle of creation, eh?

Upvote 0

Old Ned

Oct 23, 2013
Canada... Originally England.
Visit site
✟8,418.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yup.

Earth before the sun ... etc.

That, to me, is just so cool.

Ahhh ... the miracle of creation, eh?

^_^ Av you crack me up.

I am soooo tempted to go off on this statement, but I'm fairly certain you are trolling right now, you're a funny guy :thumbsup:

Nope, I have to... you think the Earth before the Sun is cool?.... I would say it would outright freezing ^_^

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
^_^ Av you crack me up.

I am soooo tempted to go off on this statement, but I'm fairly certain you are trolling right now, you're a funny guy :thumbsup:

Nope, I have to... you think the Earth before the Sun is cool?.... I would say it would outright freezing ^_^
LOL ... I thought of saying my favorite word (groovy), but didn't think it appropriate.

So I was gonna say "sweet," but "cool" is the only think I could think of that sounded appropriate.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I totally agree, but I don't think pollenation by aeolian means was the Creator's intent; unless it was supposed to be that way.
Like I said, the question of wind is irrelevant, if the time between plants and insects was just a couple days.

You're good to go with your current beliefs regarding the pollination problem!

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Which came first? the flower or the bee?

If the flower came first, how was it pollinated?

Many conifers distribute pollen by wind. Pollen came first (out of the things I'll list) If any pollin dispersing structure is called a flower, this out be the first flower, but that's an atypical use of the word.

Going from memory, I believe some plants do not produce flowers but still have fertilization accomplished or aided by an animal. As such, pollinators came next.

Once pollinators were around, means to attract more pollinators evolved (flowers)

In more practical terms though, they would have evolved together. once there was a mutually beneficial relationship between the insect and plant, both would have begun evolving to maximize that.

EDIT: misread the challenge. Flowers came before bees substantially. Flowers and maybe some sort of beetle or fly would have coevolved probably around 150 mya with bees evolving tens of millions of years after.

Challenge dead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just to make this clear, you are aware that pollination by flower does not require bees, correct?
I am indeed.

I checked with Wikipedia before I even made this thread.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Then why did you ask this question?

"If the flower came first, how was it pollinated?"--AV1611VET
You can tell a lot about a shrewdness by asking two seemly related questions and seeing which one they prefer to answer.

I'm guilty of that too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
You can tell a lot about a shrewdness by asking two seemly related questions and seeing which one they prefer to answer.

I'm guilty of that too.

I think it is very obvious what is going on. You thought you had found an argument that would defeat evolution. You thought that all flowers required pollination by bees, so your question was meant to suggest that flowers could not evolve because there were no bees, and bees could not evolve because there were no flowers.

As it turned out, your assumptions about pollination were completely wrong. Your argument is a total failure, other than a survey to see how many people knew about wind pollination.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think it is very obvious what is going on. You thought you had found an argument that would defeat evolution.
For the second time ...

I looked it up on Wikipedia before I posted the thread.

Upvote 0