• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My peers dismiss Autism as "SIN"

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If it weren't for sin entering the world, we would not have these kind of problems. That being said, I would hardly say that having Autism is some kind of punishment for sin. If we all sin, then why do some people have no disabilities? God gives us hardships in life but they are only going to make us more like Christ in the long run.

Don't be ashamed of having HFA. It's been proven that some of us are born with it, and I believe God has sovereignty over that. David said that God formed him in his mother's womb and He knows how we will turn out. Having Autism gives us strengths as well as weaknesses. The gifts that we do have can be used for the glory of God.

For me personally, Autism has been a blessing. Sometimes being socially awkward and not having many friends draws me even closer to God. And my narrow interests are in the things of God, like studying the Bible. I wouldn't have it any other way.

:clap: God bless!

Upvote 0

Standing_Ultraviolet

Dunkleosteus
Jul 29, 2010
North Carolina
✟4,331.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi, I'm new to the Forum. I am a 24-year-old college guy and I belong to a University Ministry lead by other students. I was recently diagnosed with high functioning autism, and I approached some of my peers for some guidance. To my surprise, they responded by saying that they don't really believe in the science of the mind. They call it "Sin." Is this a common response from Christians?

Incidentally, I've decided to leave this group, because I feel that young Christian guys can't occupy a position of spiritual leadership without becoming self-righteous and condemning of their peers. Should I expect to find better guidance among a more mature group? Any thoughts at all on this problem?

Thanks!
Mat

I'm very sorry that this happened. I've seen things like this before before online and in real life, and I can honestly say that it can be extremely hurtful.

Most Christians do not share the beliefs of these individuals, and I would say that such ideas are not even compatible with Christianity, although some Christians do hold them and I will not say that they are necessarily outside of a state of grace due to their ignorance.

You should not have much trouble finding a Christian ministry on campus whose members do not hold these ideas. I imagine that they are much less common among young people than among the elderly, who often grew up in a time when ideas like this were much more commonplace. Please be discerning in looking for a new ministry, and do your homework on any denomination before you choose to join them.

Keep in mind that some denominations (particularly those involved in the Westminster-Canterbury Fellowship ministry) have become very liberal over the years, and that some groups, like Mormonism and Jehovah's Witnesses, are not Trinitarian Christians. Some groups are also very cult-like in their organizational structure and have been known to target college students. Be sure that the group you're becoming involved in is not one of these by doing your research online.

I will add, as a side note, than individuals attacking psychology often come from a more extremist branch of fundamentalism that I'm glad you got away from. The thoughts shared by groups such as that can be extremely unhealthy.

Upvote 0

cimbk

Jan 14, 2012
✟556.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I'm new to the Forum. I am a 24-year-old college guy and I belong to a University Ministry lead by other students. I was recently diagnosed with high functioning autism, and I approached some of my peers for some guidance. To my surprise, they responded by saying that they don't really believe in the science of the mind. They call it "Sin." Is this a common response from Christians?

Incidentally, I've decided to leave this group, because I feel that young Christian guys can't occupy a position of spiritual leadership without becoming self-righteous and condemning of their peers. Should I expect to find better guidance among a more mature group? Any thoughts at all on this problem?

Thanks!
Mat
well just understand science has made a whole lot of statements and judgements that stand in the face of Christianity, Its hard to blend one with the other, personally I think vaccines cause autism, but its highly likely there are many causes. also science says gays are born that way, as a man who has been changed by the power of God, and by the blood of Jesus, I would have to say science and the bible are in direct conflict

Upvote 0

Standing_Ultraviolet

Dunkleosteus
Jul 29, 2010
North Carolina
✟4,331.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
well just understand science has made a whole lot of statements and judgements that stand in the face of Christianity, Its hard to blend one with the other, personally I think vaccines cause autism, but its highly likely there are many causes. also science says gays are born that way, as a man who has been changed by the power of God, and by the blood of Jesus, I would have to say science and the bible are in direct conflict

cimbk, this person's friends said that he had no medical condition, and that either psychology was inherently sinful, or that autism was a sin (it's a little hard to tell from the OP, but the latter position is very disturbing). I can honestly say that the claim that psychology is sinful is not required by Christianity, and is in fact very harmful.

Discussing either the claim that vaccines cause autism or that science and religion are in conflict is something that would derail this thread entirely, no matter how much I want to mention either of them, so all I'm going to say is that science is empirical and evidence based, and cannot speak to the morality of behaviors like homosexuality, even if it can speak to their cause (which, in the case of homosexuality, science does not claim is entirely biological).

Upvote 0

Grace51

Oct 17, 2010
✟1,166.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
i would say that should be really uncommon for born again believer to believe or even act that insensitive. anyway, i am sorry to hear that happens to you. my advice is to pray to God, ask Him to help you find a church family that loves and accept you for who you are. but don't give up, real Christians should not be like that.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I grew up with statements like the Jesus and the Bible is all one needs and shows us everything we need to know about living a Godly life.

Well, the Bible doesn't teach us how to balance a check book! So does that mean check books are sin? Ya, Jesus is my only salvation and I know that because of His words being recorded in the Bible. But that is a lone ways from all I need is the Bible and everything else is sin!

This expression of Christianity, that I was a part of for years, puts blinders on and ignores much of the NT .. like were Paul says all things are lawful and all things are good. Ya, somethings aren't beneficial for us. But Paul said something, not all things. He never disagreed with the Corinthian statements that all things are good. Yet, of er take the word of those who say modern psychology, etc are sinful then driving a car or even riding a bike are sinful too. They are in the Bible. Not to mention modernism that so many Christians how old as godly when they put down post-modernism!

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think that having autism makes us more sinful than sincere neuro-typical Christians, it just looks foreign to them and, to the uninitiated, it may seem worse. Especially when we fall into it because we missed some obvious [to them] social mores.

In my BC days (though I was a virgin), I didn't realize that sex between two consenting, unmarried adults was a sin. Morality, for me, was summed up by the Golden Rule and this practice did not seem to violate it. When I got saved, I found out differently and accepted that because it was clear in Scripture (as were other truths), but I still don't find it intuitive.

But the Holy Spirit speaks autie/aspie, so He is able to convict when that is what we need. And I LOVE it...! Usually, He doesn't beat me over the head with it. He just points out the consequences or holds up a plumb line, :doh: and I'm on my face right away. :bow: It is those who insist that I should have somehow known at the outset how wrong it was that are hard to follow.

Upvote 0

cimbk

Jan 14, 2012
✟556.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
many people have been cured of autism through treatments that are the same for someone who has poisoned for heavy metals.......such as mercury poisoning. the reason some people get autism is their body can't flush these toxins out through normal means such as hair and finger nails, thats why when tested for mercury poisoning it doesn't show up, It finds someplace in the body and settles there. alot of times its in the brain, but as I said many severe autism patients have made full recovery, there is hope in the truth!

Upvote 0

jackmt

Dec 10, 2011
Missoula Montana
✟16,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
many people have been cured of autism through treatments that are the same for someone who has poisoned for heavy metals.......such as mercury poisoning. the reason some people get autism is their body can't flush these toxins out through normal means such as hair and finger nails, thats why when tested for mercury poisoning it doesn't show up, It finds someplace in the body and settles there. alot of times its in the brain, but as I said many severe autism patients have made full recovery, there is hope in the truth!

What does this "full recovery" include/entail? I have made great progress in many areas through work in therapy. In other areas through diet, in others through alleviating sensory issues, and other ways. I appear 'normal' to others. Am I cured? I don't think so. I still have no natural or unnatural desire or ability to be with people. I still have rigid and literal thinking tendencies, alleviated through education and effort. I have to maintain my growth through conscious effort. I still score the same on the AQ tests.

How do you describe "full recovery?" Do you know anyone personally who is fully recovered or is this just something you read or heard somewhere?

Upvote 0

BrookeGF

Dec 27, 2011
South Carolina
✟15,202.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What does this "full recovery" include/entail? I have made great progress in many areas through work in therapy. In other areas through diet, in others through alleviating sensory issues, and other ways. I appear 'normal' to others. Am I cured? I don't think so. I still have no natural or unnatural desire or ability to be with people. I still have rigid and literal thinking tendencies, alleviated through education and effort. I have to maintain my growth through conscious effort. I still score the same on the AQ tests.

How do you describe "full recovery?" Do you know anyone personally who is fully recovered or is this just something you read or heard somewhere?

Normally the food allergies cause more of the physical symptoms like sensory overloads. It's said that Gluten and other products are what causes some of these sensory issues so if an Autistic person is "cured" of this symptom they would be more likely to appear normal since they wouldn't be having melt downs and stimming. But personally I don't think the way our minds work can be cured. It can only be treated through therapy, practicing social skills, and for many "Aspies", doing extensive research on social cues and body language. One theory is that our social problems come from a miswiring in our brain. It's also said that we lack mirror neurons or they don't function like they should. Mirror neurons are supposed to aid in picking up social cues and being able to mirror and understand others. To OP, next time someone calls Autism sin, print up some information about this and show it to them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Standing_Ultraviolet

Dunkleosteus
Jul 29, 2010
North Carolina
✟4,331.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

climbk, I'm trying to be very patient with you about this, but there is absolutely no evidence that chelation, a treatment used for mercury poisoning, is beneficial for patients with autism, and it can actually cause problems or even death. I find it very frustrating when people say what you are saying.

Here is some more information on the use of chelation for individuals with autism:

Beware of Non-Evidence-Based Treatments | Autism Science Foundation

There is very good evidence that autism is genetic, and no evidence that people with autism have higher quantities of mercury in their bodies than most people.

Chelation is a very dangerous treatment for people with autism, and is not helpful.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On top of that, mercury has almost been completely ruled out. I am of the opinion that AS has always been present in society. It has only been the uptick in cognitive disability that is so worrisome.

Upvote 0

cimbk

Jan 14, 2012
✟556.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
On top of that, mercury has almost been completely ruled out. I am of the opinion that AS has always been present in society. It has only been the uptick in cognitive disability that is so worrisome.
Its one of the most toxic chemicals, it has been ruled out simply because they need it to be ruled out because the ramifications of it being the cause would bankrupt many of these pharmacuitical companies over night, the truth is what scientest all ready know: There is no safe amount of mercury for the human body, end of story.

Upvote 0

cimbk

Jan 14, 2012
✟556.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
climbk, I'm trying to be very patient with you about this, but there is absolutely no evidence that chelation, a treatment used for mercury poisoning, is beneficial for patients with autism, and it can actually cause problems or even death. I find it very frustrating when people say what you are saying.

Here is some more information on the use of chelation for individuals with autism:

Beware of Non-Evidence-Based Treatments | Autism Science Foundation

There is very good evidence that autism is genetic, and no evidence that people with autism have higher quantities of mercury in their bodies than most people.

Chelation is a very dangerous treatment for people with autism, and is not helpful.
Awe! aren't you a sweety.....how much they paying you, or are you freelancing as an uninformed agent of indocrination. The truth will set you free!

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are places where thimerosal has been removed and the incidence of LFAs remains the same. This article shows a more likely connection.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Standing_Ultraviolet

Dunkleosteus
Jul 29, 2010
North Carolina
✟4,331.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Awe! aren't you a sweety.....how much they paying you, or are you freelancing as an uninformed agent of indocrination. The truth will set you free!

I wish that the proverbial "they" were paying me. I'm a history student, and we're not know for our wealth.

I want to make it very clear that chelation therapy is actually harmful. A child was killed as a result of someone using chelation therapy, which bonded to calcium and caused his heart to stop beating. If I need to repeat the most important part of that, I will. A child was killed. Avoiding vaccination out of a fear that it will lead to autism (although vaccines no longer contain thiomersal) can also cause a child to contract measles or pertussis and expose others to danger. Pertussis, or whooping cough, is a cough so severe that it can cause someone to crack their own ribs. Measles is a preventable childhood illness which can lead to death.

The idea that mercury preservatives in vaccines causes autism has no scientific basis. Numerous studies have been undertaken which have proven that thiomersal (the controversial preservative) does not cause autism. The popularity of the idea comes from the fact that thiomersal was taken out of vaccines as a precautionary move, and from increasing numbers of autism diagnoses. The fact that autism diagnoses are still higher than they were in the past, despite the fact that thiomersal is no longer used but was used as early as the 1930s, should reveal that the increased number of diagnoses comes from other factors, in particular an increased awareness of higher functioning forms of autism which in the past would not have been detected.

Here's a link to a Wikipedia article on the subject:

Thiomersal controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honestly, though, if you want to believe that thiomersal causes autism, there's nothing that I can do to stop you. Conspiracy theories are notoriously hard to debunk because they are next to impossible to falsify ("they" could always be paying me, or paying people to mislead me), and they shift the entire burden of evidence to the other person, because logically there would be no evidence of a conspiracy. I'm providing evidence, and you can take it or leave it. There's nothing I can do to make you accept that there is no conspiracy.

This is why I don't like conspiracy theories.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
... The fact that autism diagnoses are still higher than they were in the past, despite the fact that thiomersal is no longer used but was used as early as the 1930s, should reveal that the increased number of diagnoses comes from other factors, in particular an increased awareness of higher functioning forms of autism which in the past would not have been detected...

Excluding AS, the incidence of Kanneresque LFA is about 1 in 200-250, which is still unprecedented and significant.

Upvote 0

cimbk

Jan 14, 2012
✟556.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
There are places where thimerosal has been removed and the incidence of LFAs remains the same. This article shows a more likely connection.
yes the vaccines themselves is highly likely to be responsible, they in themselves are so full of toxins and things that should never be introduced to a wonderfully made immune system.

Upvote 0

cimbk

Jan 14, 2012
✟556.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I wish that the proverbial "they" were paying me. I'm a history student, and we're not know for our wealth.

I want to make it very clear that chelation therapy is actually harmful. A child was killed as a result of someone using chelation therapy, which bonded to calcium and caused his heart to stop beating. If I need to repeat the most important part of that, I will. A child was killed. Avoiding vaccination out of a fear that it will lead to autism (although vaccines no longer contain thiomersal) can also cause a child to contract measles or pertussis and expose others to danger. Pertussis, or whooping cough, is a cough so severe that it can cause someone to crack their own ribs. Measles is a preventable childhood illness which can lead to death.

The idea that mercury preservatives in vaccines causes autism has no scientific basis. Numerous studies have been undertaken which have proven that thiomersal (the controversial preservative) does not cause autism. The popularity of the idea comes from the fact that thiomersal was taken out of vaccines as a precautionary move, and from increasing numbers of autism diagnoses. The fact that autism diagnoses are still higher than they were in the past, despite the fact that thiomersal is no longer used but was used as early as the 1930s, should reveal that the increased number of diagnoses comes from other factors, in particular an increased awareness of higher functioning forms of autism which in the past would not have been detected.

Here's a link to a Wikipedia article on the subject:

Thiomersal controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honestly, though, if you want to believe that thiomersal causes autism, there's nothing that I can do to stop you. Conspiracy theories are notoriously hard to debunk because they are next to impossible to falsify ("they" could always be paying me, or paying people to mislead me), and they shift the entire burden of evidence to the other person, because logically there would be no evidence of a conspiracy. I'm providing evidence, and you can take it or leave it. There's nothing I can do to make you accept that there is no conspiracy.

This is why I don't like conspiracy theories.
thats great! now you should study how many have died from vaccines in and of themselves, or the 100,000 of people who will die this year from medication taken completely as prescribed by a doctor. Interesting fact America spends the most money on health, yet there are third world countries that statistically rate better health, even in Infant mortality rate, which we spend the most of any country on, .....In many of these countries they don't have what we know as sudden infant death, It just isn't at the epidemic levels that we see in America......go figure!

Upvote 0