My Parents Hid My Purity Ring From Me...

Jul 4, 2020
Chicago
✟12,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I live with unbelievers (trying to be as good as a witness as I can to them) and I found out today when helping look for my mom's lost glasses that my parents hid my purity ring that I had lost, I by chance found it in a case in the living room. They knew how disappointed I was to lose the ring and I was feeling bad for misplacing it as it meant a lot as a symbol and reminder of my promise to God and my future wife and it could be a good witnessing tool if people ask what it is as well. And I found out this whole time that my parents had it and hid it from me and they never told me they found it even after I was upset thinking I misplaced it and told them about it (it's been 9 months now since I've lost the ring). How should I feel about this? I'm just deciding to forgive and move on without mentioning anything to them but it's tough sometimes having that lack of trust and living with unbelievers on a consistent basis especially during this pandemic. I do my best to not take things personal and be patient throughout everything. It's not even about the ring but the entire situation with living with unbelievers who do not approve of you being a follower of Christ. But it meant a lot to me having it and seeing my family do things like this is disappointing.

Last edited:

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You have been wronged by your own blood. It's understandable if you feel some kind of way about that.

But at the same time, your parents are unbelievers. It's totally possible that they think your faith is a passing phase. On that basis, they might think they're helping you by hiding something like this from you. It's a strange process of logic to follow but I think it makes sense.

I have no useful advice for how you should handle this. My natural instinct is to be cold and sarcastic. Heck, I even sound cold and sarcastic even when I'm trying to sound like the total opposite. It's a curse, really.

But however you decide to react to this, I encourage you to keep their perspective in mind. They have no idea what hiding your ring from you actually means. And if they were pressed, I imagine they genuinely believed they were doing you a favor.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Ronit
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
it's very possible one of them found it and put it in the case for safe keeping and forgot to tell you

living room is not a place to hide anything
if whoever found it wanted to hide it, it would probably be hidden in their bedroom

happy you found it

Upvote 0

Renata8

God is good always
Jun 14, 2020
Florida
✟13,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Always remember you only came 'through' your parents, not from them. You're a son of the most high God. Honour your mother & father. Wear your ring and be 'grateful' you found it. That's all, do nothing else. Everyone is exactly where they need to be, including you. God always puts you where you need to be. Trust in him. Pressure and discomfort builds character. Sometimes it's a coworker, sometimes it's a parent. I have a sister, she's ignorant as can be, I used to get upset, not anymore because, You can only get offended,.. if you take offense. It's only when you cross these hurdles you'll understand why God put certain people in your life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2020
Chicago
✟12,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it's very possible one of them found it and put it in the case for safe keeping and forgot to tell you

living room is not a place to hide anything
if whoever found it wanted to hide it, it would probably be hidden in their bedroom

happy you found it

You have been wronged by your own blood. It's understandable if you feel some kind of way about that.

But at the same time, your parents are unbelievers. It's totally possible that they think your faith is a passing phase. On that basis, they might think they're helping you by hiding something like this from you. It's a strange process of logic to follow but I think it makes sense.

I have no useful advice for how you should handle this. My natural instinct is to be cold and sarcastic. Heck, I even sound cold and sarcastic even when I'm trying to sound like the total opposite. It's a curse, really.

But however you decide to react to this, I encourage you to keep their perspective in mind. They have no idea what hiding your ring from you actually means. And if they were pressed, I imagine they genuinely believed they were doing you a favor.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. I suppose it's possible one of them found it and didn't know it's the same ring, hopefully that's all that it was. Neither of them like that I'm a believer but they are trying to tolerate it and as much as I love my parents I am looking forward to moving when I can.

Upvote 0