Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Social construct. There is more genetic variation within any human group you might pick as a race, than there is between them. Most differences are a matter of conventions about beauty, with a very few evolved in specific populations. You are a likely to be a good genetic match with a New Guinea highlander as with your neighbor down the street. But social constructs are a reality. And so we have to deal with it.

Humans today are really enthusiastic about sharing genes. Maybe it's selective. Genes that would favor that behavior would tend to survive.
I tend to agree about the social construct view. I'll give a quick anecdote from my childhood. I grew up on the high plains of western Kansas in an all white farming community. The nearest black people were a family that lived in a town about 20 miles away. When people talked about this family, it was usually like this, "There's a black family living in <blank>. They seem like nice people." This was not meant in a condescending way but said in the friendly way that people gossip in small communities. When I bumped into the kids in this family, they seem to have been subjected to the American melting pot in that they dressed like their peers, talked like their peers, and in general tried to fit into the predominantly white culture that they lived in. When I got to college, my first roommate was a black guy that had grown up in a nearly all black farming community about 80 miles from me. On the surface, our fathers were both farmers from a line of Kansas farmers. We should have been cultural clones; but his culture was different from mine. He did a lot to open my eyes to an openness in expression that was foreign to my world. Hopefully, I helped him in gaining a focus to purpose that seems a German artifact from my upbringing. These cultural differences are not good or bad, better or worse. They add a variety to our lives that I think is one of the great things about America. It is an America that was built on the backs of all races and should celebrate all of our various cultures without rancor. I know this sounds like a Pollyanna type of rah-rah; but it is the fabric that holds this country together. One can see race, not as a tapestry that paints a beautiful picture; but as a weapon used to subjugate. The second outlook seems to focus on disparate threads in the tapestry and rail that these threads were ever woven together. But here we are. We are a couple of hundred years into this social experiment called the United States. Are we perfect? Absolutely not. Are we getting better? From my viewpoint, yes. I think the main issue right now is that there is a general disunity in our country, not tied to race; but tied to politics. Race is merely being used as a fomenting factor to divide us along party lines. This is why the right will vilify Hakeem Jeffries in the coming months and why the left will never understand a conservative black like Clarence Thomas or Byron Donalds.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
I tend to agree about the social construct view. I'll give a quick anecdote from my childhood. I grew up on the high plains of western Kansas in an all white farming community. The nearest black people were a family that lived in a town about 20 miles away. When people talked about this family, it was usually like this, "There's a black family living in <blank>. They seem like nice people." This was not meant in a condescending way but said in the friendly way that people gossip in small communities. When I bumped into the kids in this family, they seem to have been subjected to the American melting pot in that they dressed like their peers, talked like their peers, and in general tried to fit into the predominantly white culture that they lived in. When I got to college, my first roommate was a black guy that had grown up in a nearly all black farming community about 80 miles from me. On the surface, our fathers were both farmers from a line of Kansas farmers. We should have been cultural clones; but his culture was different from mine. He did a lot to open my eyes to an openness in expression that was foreign to my world. Hopefully, I helped him in gaining a focus to purpose that seems a German artifact from my upbringing. These cultural differences are not good or bad, better or worse. They add a variety to our lives that I think is one of the great things about America. It is an America that was built on the backs of all races and should celebrate all of our various cultures without rancor. I know this sounds like a Pollyanna type of rah-rah; but it is the fabric that holds this country together. One can see race, not as a tapestry that paints a beautiful picture; but as a weapon used to subjugate. The second outlook seems to focus on disparate threads in the tapestry and rail that these threads were ever woven together. But here we are. We are a couple of hundred years into this social experiment called the United States. Are we perfect? Absolutely not. Are we getting better? From my viewpoint, yes. I think the main issue right now is that there is a general disunity in our country, not tied to race; but tied to politics. Race is merely being used as a fomenting factor to divide us along party lines. This is why the right will vilify Hakeem Jeffries in the coming months and why the left will never understand a conservative black like Clarence Thomas or Byron Donalds.
I agree things have gotten so much better. One reason I think this way is because of a close friend of mine. He had many racist attitudes, and he use to say I was crazy for finding black women attractive. Fast forward several years, he is married to a black woman and they have a few mixed race children. And they are not alone. In Miami, I can’t tell you how many redneck and black married couples I see. This was unheard of in the eighties.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why don’t you explain what you mean by CRT? Perhaps we are defining it differently.
critical race theory (CRT), intellectual and social movement and loosely organized framework of legal analysis based on the premise that race is not a natural, biologically grounded feature of physically distinct subgroups of human beings but a socially constructed (culturally invented) category that is used to oppress and exploit people of colour. Critical race theorists hold that racism is inherent in the law and legal institutions of the United States insofar as they function to create and maintain social, economic, and political inequalities between whites and nonwhites, especially African Americans. Critical race theorists are generally dedicated to applying their understanding of the institutional or structural nature of racism to the concrete (if distant) goal of eliminating all race-based and other unjust hierarchies.
Let me ask you this…Some CRT proponents are teaching white school children that they are natural born racists. Is that your version of CRT?
Sounds like a racist fairy tale. CRT is a graduate level college subject. It isn't in any elementary or secondary school curriculum. Can't rule out that some idiot is pretending to teach stuff like that somewhere, but it's not CRT. You do get some people teaching hate in elementary schools:

Kevin Pummill was a mild-mannered, unassuming teacher at Pekin Community High School in Pekin, Ill. But according to Identify Evropa, a website dedicated to outing white supremacists online, he was allegedly known as “Undercover Academic,” a pro-white social studies teacher who informed students at his lily-white school about the dangers of race mixing, Mexicans and—of course—the Jews. He also boasted about bringing his wife into the fold of white supremacy and lamented the number of non-white kids trick or treating in his neighborhood.

But that's not in the curriculum, either.

So where is that bilge coming from? Guys like this creep:

Christopher F. Ru ⚔️

@realchrisrufo

Replying to
@realchrisrufo
and
@ConceptualJames
The goal is to have the public read something crazy in the newspaper and immediately think "critical race theory." We have decodified the term and will recodify it to annex the entire range of cultural constructions that are unpopular with Americans.

"According to The Washington Post, Snopes and New York, Rufo has misrepresented contents of diversity training programs and course curricula.[6][32][13] For example, he falsely claimed that a diversity consultant hired by the U.S. Treasury Department had "told employees essentially that America was a fundamentally white supremacist country", and urged them to "accept their white racial superiority"; however, the diversity consultant had said no such thing.[6][13] Rufo denies the Washington Post's characterizations, saying, "This is an absurd position that only an ideologue could believe."[33] Rufo has also falsely claimed that a course curriculum in California called on students to honor the Aztec gods of human sacrifice and to commit "countergenocide" against white Christians, which the curriculum did not do.[32][13] He also falsely claimed that a document by an Oregon school district "calls for adopting the educational theories of Brazilian Marxist Paulo Freire" and advocates turning students against the Marxist "revolution's enemies" and into the "liberated masses". However, the document had no reference to revolution, its enemies, or the liberated masses. It only referenced Freire's call to treat education as an act of liberation and mutual humanization.[13] Rufo claimed that staff resources at the school district "assumes" that whites are born racist; however, the document only urged teachers to move beyond the "belief that you aren't racist if you don't purposely or consciously act in racist ways".[13]

In March 2022 an article in Salon detailed a talk about Rufo's favored education policy that he made at Hillsdale College and described it as similar to Viktor Orbán's education policy for Hungary during his second premiership.[34]"

It's a major effort to brainwash American parents. Don't give in to it.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
I will look into CRT further. However, it still seems like an obsession with race. The fact is that bigotry and oppression has been going on for thousands of years long, long before the anthropologists classified people by the major racial stocks ie. caucasoid, negroid, mongoloid. The Romans did not conquer and oppress all of Europe because of racism. The Slavs were not enslaved for racial reasons. The strong black tribes didn’t sell black slaves to Europeans and Arabs for racist reasons. The Jews didn’t hate the Samaratins for racist reasons.

The way I see it, the world needs to behave as Jesus wants us to behave. Everyone is a neighbor, no more is there a distinction between Jew and gentile, or man or woman. People may be different, but they should be equal in the eyes of the law, as they are in the eyes of God. But I will look into CRT in more detail and report back.

Upvote 0