Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
This is my open letter to President Joe Biden:

Dear Mr. President:

I have some serious concerns regarding the systemic racism in the United States.

Nothing shows more evidence of America’s long-standing adherence to “White Supremacy” than the fact its leader, our President, lives in a “White House”. The color white was obviously chosen because in western cultures, the color white symbolizes a sense of purity, cleanliness, and peacefulness, while the color black symbolizes death, evil, and aggression. I strongly advise that you change the name and color of your current residence.

First, I suggest you have the exterior of the building repainted with Black and Brown stripes. Then you should replace the American flag for one with rainbow-colored stripes to show support for the LGBT community. Finally, I think you should change the house’s name to the “Cordoba House” to show you also support the Muslim community.

Finally, you need to change the name of our capital city. Not only is it named after a know slave owner, George Washington, but the city is also in the District of Colombia, which is named after Christopher Colombus, the man which colonization is named for.

Hopefully everyone got a chuckle. If any lefties got offended, please excuse me but I grew up in the seventies and eighties, back when Saturday Night Live poked fun at both the left and the right.

• Haha
Reactions: IceJad

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Dear Mr. President:

I have some serious concerns regarding the systemic racism in the United States.

Nothing shows more evidence of America’s long-standing adherence to “White Supremacy” than the fact its leader, our President, lives in a “White House”. The color white was obviously chosen because in western cultures, the color white symbolizes a sense of purity, cleanliness, and peacefulness, while the color black symbolizes death, evil, and aggression. I strongly advise that you change the name and color of your current residence.

First, I suggest you have the exterior of the building repainted with Black and Brown stripes. Then you should replace the American flag for one with rainbow-colored stripes to show support for the LGBT community. Finally, I think you should change the house’s name to the “Cordoba House” to show you also support the Muslim community.

Finally, you need to change the name of our capital city. Not only is it named after a know slave owner, George Washington, but the city is also in the District of Colombia, which is named after Christopher Colombus, the man which colonization is named for.

Hopefully everyone got a chuckle. If any lefties got offended, please excuse me but I grew up in the seventies and eighties, back when Saturday Night Live poked fun at both the left and the right.
It is sad that we have come to a point where Joe would love your letter right up until the last paragraph.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,228.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Dear Mr. President:

Dear Daniel, are you sure that he can even read?

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
I wish I could to full credit
Dear Daniel, are you sure that he can even read?
That reminds me of a Dennis Miller joke from the eighties. Miller used to say, about Ronald Reagan, “I can’t believe this old man has control of “the Button,” I don’t even trust my grandfather with the vcr remote control.”

• Haha
Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Actually, it wasn't white originally. It was burned by the British in the War of 1812, and painted to hide the soot marks.

It's always weird to realize that white supremacists think that everyone else is as obsessed with race as they are. But it's good for smile. Thanks for reminding us.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Actually, it wasn't white originally. It was burned by the British in the War of 1812, and painted to hide the soot marks.

It's always weird to realize that white supremacists think that everyone else is as obsessed with race as they are. But it's good for smile. Thanks for reminding us.
You make some good points. However, we shouldn’t forget that those who promote Critical Race Theory are just as obsessed about race as the White Supremacists.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You make some good points. However, we shouldn’t forget that those who promote Critical Race Theory are just as obsessed about race as the White Supremacists.
It's useful to know what CRT is. It's the idea that racism is mostly due to structural issues in society, and that blaming individuals for racism is not a just or productive way to address the issue. CRT bothers racists more because it's likely to be effective, than for any other reason.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
It's useful to know what CRT is. It's the idea that racism is mostly due to structural issues in society, and that blaming individuals for racism is not a just or productive way to address the issue. CRT bothers racists more because it's likely to be effective, than for any other reason.
According to Wikipedia, Critical race theory(CRT) is a cross-disciplinary examination, by social and civil-rightsscholars and activists, of how laws, social and political movements, and media shape, and are shaped by, social conceptions of race and ethnicity.

The obsession with race and ethnicity is right there. I really don’t see how you can’t see that. From my vantage point, I see clearly how both sides are stupid. Race and ethnicity are interest features of the human race but there is only one race that I care about and that is the Human Race.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The obsession with race and ethnicity is right there.
Seems like saying that law enforcement is obsessed with criminals. But modern law enforcement dates to Scotland Yard's Metropolitan Police unit, headed by Robert Peel, who observed that crime is better deterred by the certainty of getting caught than by severity of punishment. CRT uses that thinking as well.

Instead of obsession, CRT aims at the root causes of racism (which CRT does not identify as evil racists). Maybe a rational approach to the problem is a good idea.

Admittedly, this approach is predicated on the idea that crime and racism are bad things. But most of us would agree on this, I think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,228.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

CRT is racist. As an outsider who has seen the type of teachings under CRT it is blatantly obvious racist against the white. Unless you are bias towards a certain ideology I don't see how you don't notice the racist elements in CRT. And I'm a guy who likes neither the left nor right of America.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
CRT is racist.
No more than firemen are arsonists. The purpose is to remove the structural factors in society that cause racism.

As an outsider who has seen the type of teachings under CRT it is blatantly obvious racist against the white.
It looks as though you've been taking instruction from those who don't have any idea what CRT actually is.

There are a number of decent introductions to the theory. Maybe it would be worth finding out?

I don't see how you don't notice the racist elements in CRT.
For the same reason I don't see the boogeyman under the bed. Racists have long assailed people like Martin Luther King as "racists." For the obvious reasons. Don't be fooled.

Go take a look at the theory as it actually exists. You'll be surprised.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
CRT wants replace traditional racism with another form of racism. Laws should not be shaped by race at all!
Such laws have always been part of our legal system, starting before the Constitution, and including the Constitution. What gripes racists is that the concept is now being used to prevent racism. We need laws to prevent racism for the same reason we need laws to prevent sexual assault of minors. Such people actually exist and will act on their inclinations to harm others unless prevented from doing so.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Such laws have always been part of our legal system, starting before the Constitution, and including the Constitution. What gripes racists is that the concept is now being used to prevent racism. We need laws to prevent racism for the same reason we need laws to prevent sexual assault of minors. Such people actually exist and will act on their inclinations to harm others unless prevented from doing so.
You mean like laws that:

1) prohibited unpropertied white men from voting. We are always told George Washington won the presidency by a landslide, but in reality few white men had the right to vote
2) the laws that permitted business owners to put up help wanted signs that said “Italians, Greeks, and Jews need not apply.”
3) what about the horrific labor laws. While blacks were enslaved in the south, white men were working in subhuman working conditions in the factories.
4) permitted country clubs from allowing membership to Jews. BTW, people like to forget, but even in the year he was first elected president, Bill Clinton attended these country clubs.

Should I continue or do you get my point?

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
4) permitted country clubs from allowing membership to Jews. BTW, people like to forget, but even in the year he was first elected president, Bill Clinton attended these country clubs.
I love the story of how the Marx brothers moved to Hollywood to start their film career. Groucho loved to play golf and applied at a local golf club. He was turned down because he was Jewish. In a couple of years, his films were topping the box office and the golf club sent him a letter of invitation for membership. He replied with the famous quote, "I don't think I would want to belong to a club that would have me as a member."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
I love the story of how the Marx brothers moved to Hollywood to start their film career. Groucho loved to play golf and applied at a local golf club. He was turned down because he was Jewish. In a couple of years, his films were topping the box office and the golf club sent him a letter of invitation for membership. He replied with the famous quote, "I don't think I would want to belong to a club that would have me as a member."
That reminds of a story my mother told about when she first arrived to Miami from Cuba. There was a landlord who didn’t want to rent an apartment to her and her sisters because they were Cuban. When the landlord discovered she and her sisters were white Cubans he welcomed them with open arms. My mother and her sisters promptly told him to go blank himself.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No more than firemen are arsonists. The purpose is to remove the structural factors in society that cause racism.

It looks as though you've been taking instruction from those who don't have any idea what CRT actually is.

There are a number of decent introductions to the theory. Maybe it would be worth finding out?

For the same reason I don't see the boogeyman under the bed. Racists have long assailed people like Martin Luther King as "racists." For the obvious reasons. Don't be fooled.

Go take a look at the theory as it actually exists. You'll be surprised.
You seem like someone who has studied this and I would like to get you opinion on this. Is the concept of race a social construct, a matter of ancestry, or a matter of color of skin?" If you see all of these as factors, please try to help start a dialogue on how these factors influence perceptions in this country. I know this seems like a college assignment; but you are right and most people here have learned about CRT from one political party or another and I think we could all benefit from a fruitful discussion.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
I think you should clarify to the young leftists on this thread that Groucho Marx was not related to Karl.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Why don’t you explain what you mean by CRT? Perhaps we are defining it differently. Let me ask you this…Some CRT proponents are teaching white school children that they are natural born racists. Is that your version of CRT?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You seem like someone who has studied this and I would like to get you opinion on this. Is the concept of race a social construct, a matter of ancestry, or a matter of color of skin?"
Social construct. There is more genetic variation within any human group you might pick as a race, than there is between them. Most differences are a matter of conventions about beauty, with a very few evolved in specific populations. You are a likely to be a good genetic match with a New Guinea highlander as with your neighbor down the street. But social constructs are a reality. And so we have to deal with it.

Humans today are really enthusiastic about sharing genes. Maybe it's selective. Genes that would favor that behavior would tend to survive.

If you see all of these as factors, please try to help start a dialogue on how these factors influence perceptions in this country.
As someone noted a long time ago, a black person in America has been historically considered to be anyone not of pure European ancestry.

Things are more nuanced in places like Brazil where there are more "races." And some cultures don't have a concept of race. We have what we have, and it's changing. Imagine America a half-century ago, a guy with the name Fuentes, being the leader of racists.

The problem isn't evil guys so much as the way society is structured to make racism possible or even likely or inevitable. And as the Air Force taught me a long time ago, the key to ending racism is to make it unprofitable. No payoff, it dies just because other factors are evenly distributed among "races."

We used to have other races. Anatomically modern humans, Neanderthals, Denisovans, and at least one other yet-unidentified race of humans existed on this planet together, sometimes interbreeding and/or sharing culture/technology. I wonder what our world would be like if that was the case today. Might be, the rise of larger groups favored racism. Don't know. Might be an interesting research project.

Since it's an academic issue, not taught in primary or secondary school classes, even the introductions can be kinda technical and jargon-laden. The largest accomplishment of CRT seems to be in the reduction of differences in sentencing for cocaine use. Although there is no scientific or medical evidence that crack is worse than other forms of cocaine, penalties for crack possession use, or sale were much more severe. Hedge fund traders don't use crack. They are usually white. People who use crack tend to be black. So prison populations reflect that cultural difference.

BTW, the reforms only slightly changed that case of structural racism:

Crack vs. Powder Cocaine: One Drug, Two Penalties

For decades, federal crack offenses resulted in far longer prison sentences than powder cocaine offenses, even though there’s little difference between the substances. Two federal laws have reduced this sentencing disparity, but crack and powder cocaine offenses still are not treated equally in federal prosecutions.

There's no evidence that an evil band of white men sat around and planned this situation; it just falls into the way society tends to work. In all likelihood, the guys who set up the laws had entirely good intentions. But good intentions ran afoul of the way our society is structured. Notice that even when people set out to repair these inequities, they were only partially successful. That's the reality we have.

This is an oversimplification. And it's true that much of the fear about CRT is not from the kind of people who (for example) passed a law in Texas that basically banned teaching anything about racism that would upset some people. Even most conservatives would recognize the racism in that. It's usually more subtle. And the white supremacists are constantly saying that it says we have to hate white people.

Not surprised that people can be scared of it. And it can be anti-liberal in the sense that it denies that "race-neutral" language in the law is sufficient to handle racism. (often citing the cocaine issue, or the disparity in public school punishments for kids having the same behaviors but being of different races)

Remember, laws and rules tend to be written by people at least as smart as the car dealer writing up a contract for you to sign. So you have to read carefully, and consider what innocent-sounding terms actually mean.

Upvote 0