My one and only objection to scripture...?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
My one and only objection to scripture is that, we do not have more from the people in it/them about their private conversations with God...

Cause of this we lack the "how" of how people in the scriptures got here to there or there to here, so to speak...

Like Joseph's private probably daily conversations with God, Jesus private converse with God when he went off by himself to pray or his conversations with God as a boy, or Paul's three years spent away with God, or, "whomever" (pick one)...

Point being without knowledge of these things we can only speculate or guess, and that is usually wrong most of time...

I wish we had more of the private conversations of Biblical characters with God... Oh, but, then, how would the world contain them all...?

I wish we had some more insight into these things however, and that is one of my main objections to scripture...

Think of what we would or could know or understand with more of that...?

Maybe, for some fun, you guys could tell me what characters you'd like to have more of this of or from and why...?

Or we could engage in some speculation as to what some of this with certain characters might have been like...?

Comments...?

God Bless!

• Agree
Reactions: Goatee

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think some ambiguity - or some things left unsaid - lets God speak to different people in different ways at different times, according to what they need at that time. So maybe it is leaving room for the Spirit's work in us as we read?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I think some ambiguity - or some things left unsaid - lets God speak to different people in different ways at different times, according to what they need at that time. So maybe it is leaving room for the Spirit's work in us as we read?
Possibly...?

But how much more would we understand each individual's individual walk (if we had all the talk) with God, if we had more of it/this...

You telling me you would not want to know, if it were possible (might be possible when we get to heaven, but)...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We have the Lord's prayer which is an example...we have the prayer in the garden which is about as private as it gets...we have many of the Psalms and prayers of Lamentations those prayers not just in Lamentations and Psalms...we see some of Daniel's prayers, etc. Seems to me you just aren't aware of many of the private prayers in scripture...I was gonna post a list but I find that there are several great lists on line if you simply search for "prayers of the bible".

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
We have the Lord's prayer which is an example...we have the prayer in the garden which is about as private as it gets...we have many of the Psalms and prayers of Lamentations those prayers not just in Lamentations and Psalms...we see some of Daniel's prayers, etc. Seems to me you just aren't aware of many of the private prayers in scripture...I was gonna post a list but I find that there are several great lists on line if you simply search for "prayers of the bible".
Yes, we do have some, and I was gonna mention that, but, well, just chose not to yet...

I'm talking about just the daily just "talks" or just simply talking with God about things... Most of what we do have is still only "highlights"... But, I am glad (that much) it's there and thank you for mentioning it...

We do have a bit of Moses and Elijah's (a little bit) just "talks" with God... But not all of it, or all of anyone's, and It's like having great "gaps" in their story and their progression...

Thanks again,

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Or we could engage in some speculation as to what some of this with certain characters might have been like...?
Jonah, ' Not me Lord, I'm off!'
Mosess, 'Why me Lord?'
David, ' Yes Lord, Sorry Lord, Yes Lord.'

Joking aside, people in the OT would have similar fears and questions to those we ask. Why me?
Is there really a God, how do I know?
What should I do?
and of course 'Help!'

• Agree
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree it would add more to my spiritual walk to have more conversations with God recorded. But even though there isn't as much as we want, I believe there is as much as we need.
I hope so, I plan on doing some digging on that/this...

Anyone give me more on where to start and find them...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, we do have some, and I was gonna mention that, but, well, just chose not to yet...

I'm talking about just the daily just "talks" or just simply talking with God about things... Most of what we do have is still only "highlights"... But, I am glad (that much) it's there and thank you for mentioning it...

We do have a bit of Moses and Elijah's (a little bit) just "talks" with God... But not all of it, or all of anyone's, and It's like having great "gaps" in their story and their progression...

Thanks again,

God Bless!
I guess I don't understand then...one of the sites that came up in my quick search listed 222 prayers in the bible...that seems to me to be a great sampling. Maybe we as a people have been taught that prayer is something different than it really is? Thus you are expecting to see one thing when in reality you are seeing what you need to?

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess I don't understand then...one of the sites that came up in my quick search listed 222 prayers in the bible...that seems to me to be a great sampling. Maybe we as a people have been taught that prayer is something different than it really is? Thus you are expecting to see one thing when in reality you are seeing what you need to?
I think I see the OP's point. For example, when God and Moses talked at the burning bush, is that a prayer? When God talked with Adam and Eve in the garden, is that a prayer? It would be nice to have all the conversations with God in a book, whether they were prayers or not.

• Agree
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I think I see the OP's point. For example, when God and Moses talked at the burning bush, is that a prayer? When God talked with Adam and Eve in the garden, is that a prayer? It would be nice to have all the conversations with God in a book, whether they were prayers or not.
Yes, I'd like to know some of the "Not emergency room" prayers, or conversations, so to speak...

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟153,913.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My one and only objection to scripture is that, we do not have more from the people in it/them about their private conversations with God...

Cause of this we lack the "how" of how people in the scriptures got here to there or there to here, so to speak...

Like Joseph's private probably daily conversations with God, Jesus private converse with God when he went off by himself to pray or his conversations with God as a boy, or Paul's three years spent away with God, or, "whomever" (pick one)...

Point being without knowledge of these things we can only speculate or guess, and that is usually wrong most of time...

I wish we had more of the private conversations of Biblical characters with God... Oh, but, then, how would the world contain them all...?

I wish we had some more insight into these things however, and that is one of my main objections to scripture...

Maybe, for some fun, you guys could tell me what characters you'd like to have more of this of or from and why...?

Comments...?

God Bless!

It forces us to walk by faith.

There are some examples of private conversations with God, for example the prayer of Paul in Eph. 2:14-19, the prayer of Solomon in 1 Ki. 8, the Psalms, and there are many others if you look for them. Paul wrote that the OT was written for our example, therefore we have the same writings (plus the NT) as what they had, so we don't have any excuse that we don't have enough scripture to follow.

However, I believe the point that you're making is that scripture alone doesn't complete our discipleship growth, and I fully agree. It forces us to look to living elders in the faith for the "how to" answers that the Bible doesn't give us clearly. This means it requires relationship, in which fellowship with other Christians is a cardinal aspect of our Christian growth. Discipleship/spiritual growth has the elements of scripture, fellowship, prayer, and worship, and we must practice all 4 disciplines regularly to have a balanced Christian life.

It may be that the "how to" procedure isn't written like a technical manual for us because part of having a relationship with God is experienced in relationships with people, and God wants us to develop that aspect of our lives. If we had the manual with all the detail, we would likely become mechanical, in that we would learn by rote instead of by experience. Trial and error gives us understanding why certain things work and others don't. This also leads to the idea that learning to love others by trial and error is better than strict adherence to rules (albeit because of ignorance we need rules to point us in the right direction).

Another thing to consider is that people have various personalities with various concerns. You may, for example, be concerned with the "how" of life, but others may not have that concern at all, since other people are concerned to the "whos" or "whats".

Finally, I suspect that if the Bible did actually contain some of the "how" they got from here to there, it still wouldn't be enough for us. Or, that people would misuse it.
TD:)

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Since 2 timothy 3:16-17 tells us that all scripture is breathed out by God and it's enough to complete a person of God and equip them for every good work, then while it may not give you all that you want, it does give you all that you will ever need.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Comments...?

God Bless!

Come to think of it, you're right. Maybe then when we post our own conversations with God, and what He has said, people won't think you're nuts, or worse, lying.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Comments...?

God Bless!

Sure. Here ya go:
Answered Prayer - Conversations with God - Steps 1, 2, 3

God only speaks direct to your mind. It's not a conversation
others can hear or read about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Possibly...?

But how much more would we understand each individual's individual walk (if we had all the talk) with God, if we had more of it/this...

You telling me you would not want to know, if it were possible (might be possible when we get to heaven, but)...

God Bless!

I think that if we did have their talk and walk then we wouldn't be walking and talking our journey.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
years ago I saw a book on prayers in the bible...but I guess my point is this. I guess I don't get it given how many prayers we have.

I fairly recently finished a study on how to pray in Love. I didn't look at all the prayers but some of them. What I discovered is that prayer isn't always what we think it is based on what we are taught it is. In fact, I tried to start a thread on one of the concepts I discovered and was told that even posting it as a question was inflammatory. (Really? How is asking a question on biblical truth inflammatory?) Oh well....prayer is being in the presence of the Living God. It doesn't have to be us monologue in fact, there are some people in my life that weary me with constant talking but never listening. God gets that most of the time from us when we "pray". We ear bash God with words and never sit quietly and listen. Listening is an interesting thing, in the bible there are well over 1000 passages about listening and most are about listening to God in obedience. When we look at the prayers in scripture I think we read them with a false understanding of what prayer is and therefore find them wanting rather than studying them and learning from them and allowing them to transform our prayer life.

I guess to a point I can understand the OP question in that I once was trying to learn to pray a prayer of Love but today it seems like a foreign concept to me. Today I see the prayers and marvel at what prayer really is. Prayer according to my study is a place of fellowship not a dictation of what we want to say to God. We are the temple of the Living God and the temple was a place of prayer. IOW's our very bodies and the teaching about us being the temple is not about taking care of our bodies but about being in constant fellowship/in the presence of God and in that learning to live in His power and Love. A theme that is carried out in every prayer I can think of in scripture.

Reactions: tdidymas
Upvote 0