• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My mother is very depressed and is no longer happy to see me, any advice.

perplexed

Jun 22, 2005
✟100,944.00
Faith
Seeker
My mothers brain is basically broken and she does not get any joy out of seeing me or anything else, She talks about going to a nursing home so maybe I should steer her in that direction, I will no longer be able to work from my parents house after the covid situation improves I will have to go back to the big city, and it is better if someone is always there.

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How old is she? My father passed away at 90 last summer and we're moving my mother into an "elderly home" next month. She's old (actually two years older than him) and, frankly, ready to pass. Death is the most guaranteed part of life.

My mother never really had many friends. It was all about family. She's just at peace now that she has a lot of kids, grandkids and great grandkids. And in this facility she'll be forced to be around other people. She may be entering a new phase of life.

However, if you're talking nursing home, that's different. Is your mother a Christian? Being that old and moving on in that way - while not believing in God - would be very depressing. But that is on her, not you. People all choose their own path and at the end of the day, we end up wherever that path leads us.

I've not addressed your living conditions because I consider that to be a separate subject.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A good Christian nursing home can do wonders for old people. My dad is in one, he is 91 and he loves it there even though he was happy to be at home with mum as well. Look up a good nursing home, by reviews, for appearance can be deceptive, and send her there.

Is your mother on anti depressants? i ask this because my mother in law is in a nursing home at 91 and was very depressed at first, for she broke her hip and was wheelchair bound, but anti depressants got her through it and she is much happier now.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Orchardllc

Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2019
Kentucky
✟49,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Depression is real and debilitating. It robs us of our ability to see anything positive. Especially when it is empowered by events or circumstances beyond our control. It's when I feel most helpless or powerless to change my circumstances that my depression is the strongest.

If possible, help her by setting up supports for her after you move that will be ongoing and committed to being there for her. Pray, pray, pray for her. Even though she may seem to be pushing you away, she loves and needs you. These overwhelming changes really rock my foundations (especially those that I can't change). And I find myself withdrawing from my supporters when these things happen.

This group meeting at her house sounds like a good place to start to help find friends willing to stand with her during this time.

Upvote 0