Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wrote this in prayer section but I am writing it here for advice

Please Read Until the End Because My Question Is at the End

My mom died around 5:30 pm. I am so devastated. My mom was my best friend. She did not always agree with my choices, but there was still love there. I will admit, there were only two people that I loved, my mom and my twin brother, David. But my love for my twin brother dwindled when he started treating mom like dirt. My mom was far from perfect, but she loved us all.

My mom had children that did not like her because she would point out wrongdoing. My mom would do that to me as well. I did not always like it, but I still loved her.

I don't know how to live without her. Don't take this the wrong way. I am not an adult who is living in my parent's basement. I took care of myself. But I called my mother every time I needed comfort. I am so heartbroken right now.

My sister is asking me to not shut her out. I have a tendency to do that when I am sad. I don't want to go to her funeral. All her kids, even the ones that treated her poorly, would be there. I want to tell them how I feel the way they treated her; and it would not be nice.

My mom loved the Lord. She has an amazing testimony on how she got saved. She was saved in 1969 during the Jesus movement, and she never wavered in her faith. She spoke in tongues the moment she got saved, and she didn't even know what tongues were. Nobody coached her or tried to get her to speak in tongues, she just did it. She also believed in the Torah. She believed in observing the sabbath. She also believed in observing the Jewish holidays. She also believed in the diets that written in the old testament. She knew that Christ was her salvation, and not in observing those things. But she wanted to honor God in observing the Torah.

Even though she was treated like dirt by some people, she was loved by her other kids and friends. People constantly told her that she was deceived. But she continue to live by her convictions. My mom had an anger issue, and sometimes swore, but she was praying and asking God's forgiveness for her anger issues. Thank God that he is merciful.

I do not want to attend the funeral. Her kids will be there, and I want to yell at them and tell them how angry I am for the way they treated her. I am so emotional that if I saw them, I would have lost control of what comes out of my mouth.

How do I approach my brothers and sisters who treated my mom like dirt? I feel nothing but hatred towards them.

Forgive them ... until you do the feeling of "hatred" will remain and will be a burden. Treat them with kindness.

May you rest in peace knowing that someday (when the Lord returns) you will see your mom again. Amen.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How do I approach my brothers and sisters who treated my mom like dirt? I feel nothing but hatred towards them.

I'm sorry for your loss. Thank God you'll see her again one day.

Is hatred from God? Has He put it in your heart to hate your siblings? (See: 1 John 3:15; 1 John 4:7-11)

If you are God's child, what has He put in your heart? (See: Romans 5:5)

Your life isn't really about you. God gave you life to serve His purposes. One of those purposes is to be His hands and heart to all those around you - especially those of your own household.

See: Ephesians 4:31-32, Matthew 6:14-15.

How do you love on God's behalf those you hate? Confess the sin of your hatred to God. (1 John 1:9) Then, submit; yield yourself to God's will and way (Romans 6:13; Romans 12:1; James 4:7) and stay yielded in the face of every impulse to hate and rage at your siblings. To those who are submitted to Him, God promises:

1 Peter 5:6
6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,

James 4:10
10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

2 Timothy 2:21
21 Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work.

Finally, a direct, clear word from God to you (and all of us):

Romans 12:17-21
17 Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all.
18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.
19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”
20 To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.”
21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry for your loss. Thank God you'll see her again one day.

Is hatred from God? Has He put it in your heart to hate your siblings? (See: 1 John 3:15; 1 John 4:7-11)

If you are God's child, what has He put in your heart? (See: Romans 5:5)

Your life isn't really about you. God gave you life to serve His purposes. One of those purposes is to be His hands and heart to all those around you - especially those of your own household.

See: Ephesians 4:31-32, Matthew 6:14-15.

How do you love on God's behalf those you hate? Confess the sin of your hatred to God. (1 John 1:9) Then, submit; yield yourself to God's will and way (Romans 6:13; Romans 12:1; James 4:7) and stay yielded in the face of every impulse to hate and rage at your siblings. To those who are submitted to Him, God promises:

1 Peter 5:6
6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,

James 4:10
10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

2 Timothy 2:21
21 Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work.

Finally, a direct, clear word from God to you (and all of us):

Romans 12:17-21
17 Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all.
18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.
19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”
20 To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.”
21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

I understand what you are saying. Just to let you know I'm not back but I am just back here just to respond to this.

But I do understand what you are saying. I know that no Christian is going to condone me hating my brothers and sisters because the Bible tells me to love. Well at this point I don't care anymore what the Bible says.

I know I I shared with you guys how I'm feeling oh, so I'm not angry that people told me what the Bible says. But I am going to just let you know that I don't care anymore. I hate my brothers and sisters. I am unable to love them. They talked crap about my mom. And I refuse to love them. If that means that I'm going to go to hell because of that, then so be it.

I wrote letters to my brothers and sister telling them to "Go To...."

I haven't mailed them yet but I really want to do so, even if they don't read it.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Take my advice and focus on socializing with others in need or wanting to connect.

I've been to funerals for my wife, grandchildren, my in-laws, my brother, my father, my uncles, aunts, and all grandparents. Funerals are not about poor relationships with other people who attend. Not in the least. If ones chooses to stay home it is due to being selfish.

I am sure that you are right about me being selfish. I did go to the funeral. But that will be the last time I see my family, or my brothers and sisters. They treated her like crap and there is no forgiveness for that, well from me anyways, they will ultimately answer to God and not me. So, it really doesn't matter if I forgive them or not. I know that. They just need to stop calling me.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I understand what you are saying. Just to let you know I'm not back but I am just back here just to respond to this.

But I do understand what you are saying. I know that no Christian is going to condone me hating my brothers and sisters because the Bible tells me to love. Well at this point I don't care anymore what the Bible says.

The battle within each of us every day is over who rules us. Only one can rule on the throne of our hearts: God or Self. You've chosen to serve Self in the matter of your siblings. God promises that your choice won't produce anything good. It may satisfy feelings of vengeance; telling your siblings to "Go to the hot place" may feel gratifying, but doing so is just about serving yourself. Your anger and hard words don't help your Mom any; they won't help heal things between you and your siblings; they won't point any of your siblings to the Saviour they so desperately need. No, all that will happen is that you will have "let off some steam," you'll have acted the ungrateful servant who, having been forgiven of a great debt went out and found one who owed him a far lesser debt and did to his debtor what he begged would not be done to himself. In the story Jesus told about the ungrateful servant, he concluded with a very dire warning:

Matthew 18:32-35
32 Then his master summoned him and said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me.
33 And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?’
34 And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt.
35 So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart.”

It's so easy to tell yourself you're a champion of the cause of your Mother, you're a seeker of justice, you're righting a wrong in hating and verbally savaging your siblings. But, really, your refusal to forgive is just about you, not your Mom. What's worse, if you're God's child, you have been forgiven an enormous debt of sin. Your debt was so bad it deserved eternal separation from God in hell; your debt of sin was so awful it cost the life and blood of Christ to redeem you from it. But having been forgiven of your HUGE debt by God, at terrible cost to His Only Son, you refuse to forgive in turn! God has no patience with this sort of ungratefulness. It makes Him angry. Did He look at what your sin cost His Son and rage at you? Did He look upon your wickedness and cry, "You can just go to H**l!" No! Through the horrifying sacrifice of His Son, He extended to you grace, and mercy, and fellowship with Himself. How can you not follow His example? As far as God is concerned, you can't - not if you want to know and walk with Him.

I know I I shared with you guys how I'm feeling oh, so I'm not angry that people told me what the Bible says. But I am going to just let you know that I don't care anymore. I hate my brothers and sisters. I am unable to love them. They talked crap about my mom. And I refuse to love them. If that means that I'm going to go to hell because of that, then so be it.

It's amazing, isn't it, what we'll say and do in service to Self? The things we'll give up just to satisfy selfish, petty anger! But, if you are truly God's child, He won't let you carry on in ease and comfort with your bad choice. You've thrown down the gauntlet before God, stamping your feet in temper tantrum about your badly-behaving siblings, willfully rebelling against your Maker's will. Okay. God says He will resist you (1 Peter 5:5; James 4:6); He will withdraw His fellowship and blessing from your life (Psalms 66:18; Isaiah 59:2; 1 Peter 3:10-12); and He will "hand you over to the jailers," to the bondage of the World, the Flesh and the devil (Ephesians 2:1-3).

Anger and unforgiveness are exhausting. They harden a person, too, making them nasty, cold and bitter. And they are powerfully habit-forming. The longer and more you indulge anger and unforgiveness, the deeper into these things you'll settle until, one day, you will be permanently unable to extricate yourself from them. Ironically, in becoming such a person, you will take on the character of your siblings. In your hatred of them, you will share in their wretchedness.

No one is asking you to think the ugly things your siblings say about your Mom are good and right. In love, you ought to challenge the bitterness and resentment in their hearts just as you ought to do in your own. If their talking to you degenerates into a "Let's slam Mom" session, simply refuse to say or listen to things that are unkind to the memory of her. You shouldn't rail and rage at your siblings, but you don't have to participate in, or accept, their rotten behaviour, either. Forgiveness doesn't require that you turn a blind eye to sin.

But don't be like foolish Esau who, for temporary satisfaction in the moment, gave up his birthright forever. There is only bondage, suffering and regret on this path. Which is why God tells you to forgive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I wrote letters to my brothers and sister telling them to "Go To...."

I haven't mailed them yet but I really want to do so, even if they don't read it.

This pain is normal. It’s ok to be in pain. It’s ok to feel resentment and anger. Grief has many stages. And many facets.

Mailing those letters, imho, would be a terrible mistake. Once said, you can’t take things back. Sometimes being angry in silence is a far more useful and effective response than venting at others. Do you have a therapist or friend you can share your anger with?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am sure that you are right about me being selfish. I did go to the funeral. But that will be the last time I see my family, or my brothers and sisters. They treated her like crap and there is no forgiveness for that, well from me anyways, they will ultimately answer to God and not me.

So, it really doesn't matter if I forgive them or not. I know that. They just need to stop calling me.

It does matter some. This is why:

Matthew 6:14-15
For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Ephesians 4:31-32
Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Mark 11:25
And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums