Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Over the years I have shared little ditties about my wonderful neighborhood. Perhaps you remember the gang-banger gunshot wound victim up the street, or maybe the dead naked corpse found up behind the local dirty watering hole pub. Maybe you remember the time I told you all about the day we were at the family dollar, me with my with my two young children while the place was being robbed and in walked a 90- pound soaking wet female cop all by herself. When she tried to apprehend the criminal, he overpowered her and then ran off.

Well, I have a lovely new memory to share with you, one which I will always treasure, just like the others and pass along to future generations.

I was walking out to my car this a.m., on my way to work. Typical Monday. When I notice a ton of SUV's pulling up the street and parking outside of a house two doors down. My interest is piqued. They are parking on the wrong side of the street, it looks like it may be a family get together on Thanksgiving or something. Except it's 7 a.m., Monday and this isn't a holiday.

So I pause a moment and wait. The doors all open and out come at least a dozen men and women clad in bullet proof vests, with the writing 'U.S. Marshall' on the front. 'Well, you don't see that everyday,', I thought, so I went inside to get my husband. We came out and the cops had this house surrounded. Well I had to go to work so I left. My husband called me later and gave me the low down. Apparently, a professional theif lives there who's been breaking into houses around the neighborhood and the town in general. My husband tipped the feds off that sometimes this dude spends time in the house across the street (my husband is the neighborhood busy body)-- and so they went in and cased that place, too. Then the cops gave my husband their business card and told him to call with follow up information. Apparently, no one was home.

All in a day's work.

Michelle

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Jason, you've GOT to get out of there!
It's really scary, Dave. I also have some flowers in my garden with little bites taken out of their leaves. Who knows WHAT could be doing that ...

terrifying really.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Once some of my neighbors had guests over in the evening and we could hear them speaking if we opened our windows.

I feel bad for people who live in questionable (or outright bad) neighborhoods because going out for a bike ride or skating at 3am or so when everything is silent is one of my favorite pastimes. Michelle, this is probably naive, but why not move to someplace a little less interesting?

Upvote 0

Maggie893

It is what it is.
Sep 13, 2004
Maine
✟28,951.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Seriously Michelle, you need to move. That is not good, especially since they all now know your husband is sharing information.

The worst thing that happened in my neighborhood this morning is that the gardeners woke me up at 7:45 when they started the lawnmower under my window! I wasn't happy.

But perspective certainly help.:)

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
It's really scary, Dave. I also have some flowers in my garden with little bites taken out of their leaves. Who knows WHAT could be doing that ...

terrifying really.
Deer, flowers AND bugs???!!! You better get out of there before something even worse comes along!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, you guys have fun with your Peter rabbits eating your flowers and invading your garden and I will go out and see if I can get a deal on bullet proof vests for the family.

There is no point in moving, crime is everywhere. Unless you're Ted Kazinski and you live like a hermit in the mountains.

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
Michelle,

Actually, I can relate to what you're going through. And I feel for you. I grew up in Detroit, in a pretty bad part of the city at that. Lived there till I was in my mid-twenties. Not in the same house the whole time, but in the same general area. The sound of gunshots was "normal," especially at night. Over the years, I had 7 friends shot, 4 fatally (one of whom's wife was rapped during the same in-home robbery in which he was murdered). The most recent friend's death was only about 2 years ago. An old friend named Randy who never made it out of the old neighborhood, and paid for it with his life. Have had my own home broken into more times than I can count back then. Twice when we were actually home. Got robbed those two times at gunpoint. Tied up with duct tape, the whole deal (thought they were going to kill us all). So yeah, I know what you're going through. :(

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
Uh . . . yeah. So I hope you don't feel I'm at all making light of what you're going through. It's just that those are bad memories for me (and my wife), so one of the ways I deal with those terrible memories is through humor. In fact, to this day, my wife gets scared (and angry) if anyone shines a flashlight in her eyes, because one of the times when we got robbed when we were home, when they busted into our bedroom, they shinned flashlights on us, and in her eyes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Skrip, that's some scary stuff.

There is no point in moving, crime is everywhere.

That's not quite true. I live in a medium-small city in the midwest and we have virtually zero crime. We have had 2 murders in like 20 years - one was an elderly man who shot his terminally-ill wife in a muder-suicide and one was an old friend of mine who offed another guy while he was sleeping. Other than that, nothing. sure, there's drug dealers and such, but I know most of them. Harmless. I don't see any need to lock my doors at night or take the keys out of my ignition. Bad things just plain don't happen here.

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic

Tell me about it. Even though it was years ago, it's still scary just thinking about it. And my poor wife, it pretty much scarred her for life. Cuz like I said, she still gets scared and angry over flashlights. :( Fortunately, all we ever lost were "things."

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

That's not quite true. I live in a medium-small city in the midwest and we have virtually zero crime. We have had 2 murders in like 20 years - one was an elderly man who shot his terminally-ill wife in a muder-suicide and one was an old friend of mine who offed another guy while he was sleeping. Other than that, nothing. sure, there's drug dealers and such, but I know most of them. Harmless. I don't see any need to lock my doors at night or take the keys out of my ignition. Bad things just plain don't happen here.
this town just had it's 21st homicide over the weekend when a dude was shot in the drive thru of a taco bell. what does that average, maybe three a month. I would have to move out of town to get away from it, and it would probably just follow me like a bad penny anyways.

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
this town just had it's 21st homicide over the weekend when a dude was shot in the drive thru of a taco bell. what does that average, maybe three a month. I would have to move out of town to get away from it, and it would probably just follow me like a bad penny anyways.

Michelle, my hubby & I moved out of town so we could get away from crime. A few weeks after the move, I went to town to run errands and got mugged. The perp broke my arm, and I got bruised up pretty bad.

Lesson learned: Even if you don't live in town, you still have to GO to town. There's really no way to get away from crime. Buy a big dog, with big teeth.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.