• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My life with autism.

Tarvorok

Custos Dei
Jan 14, 2019
Kansas
✟14,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I know I just posted a thread recently about my biases that I've formed since my diagnosis with autism years ago, but I figured with this one I would go a different direction.

When I was first diagnosed with autism I assumed it would be life ending in the sense of that I'd never have friends or that I would be treated like an outcast for the rest of my life by society, but as time has gone on I've grown to accept autism as a part of who I am and without it I can't imagine what my life would be like.

It obviously comes with struggles and issues, but it has came with blessings too, and one of the biggest is being more mindful and receptive of other people's feelings. I'm a lot more sensitive to things than I used to be and I guess you could say I have "more of a heart" for people in general than I used to. I still can't guarantee people that I will make perfect eye contact 100% of the time either, but I certainly try.

I've had a lot of people tell me that if I had not told them I had autism they never would known I had it either, which is kind of surprising to me since the no eye contact thing is one of the tell tell signs.

I still struggle heavily with detecting sarcasm, that is something I haven't mastered in the slightest yet, most people have to tell me they were being sarcastic for me to understand.

I've also had more of a desire to try and meet people as I've aged, which doesn't always work but whenever someone does talk to me I do my best to be genuine with them and if it turns into a friendship I take it very seriously, often to the point of forming a protective bond with the person, like worrying about their well-being and things like that, whenever I lose someone it hurts me deeply and takes me a long time, often years to recover.

God knows the reason why I was given this, there is some use for it, although I don't think I know what it is, but I consider it a blessing because of how it makes me deal with some situations and makes me look at a much broader perspective on things versus a narrow one.

I apologize if this sounds all over the place. My mind was ablaze with thoughts and I tried getting it out as clearly as I could.

Last edited:

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know I just posted a thread recently about my biases that I've formed since my diagnosis with autism years ago, but I figured with this one I would go a different direction.

When I was first diagnosed with autism I assumed it would be life ending in the sense of that I'd never have friends or that I would be treated like an outcast for the rest of my life by society, but as time has gone on I've grown to accept autism as a part of who I am and without it I can't imagine what my life would be like.

It obviously comes with struggles and issues, but it has came with blessings too, and one of the biggest is being more mindful and receptive of other people's feelings. I'm a lot more sensitive to things than I used to be and I guess you could say I have "more of a heart" for people in general than I used to. I still can't guarantee people that I will make perfect eye contact 100% of the time either, but I certainly try.

I've had a lot of people tell me that if I had not told them I had autism they never would known I had it either, which is kind of surprising to me since the no eye contact thing is one of the tell tell signs.

I still struggle heavily with detecting sarcasm, that is something I haven't mastered in the slightest yet, most people have to tell me they were being sarcastic for me to understand.

I've also had more of a desire to try and meet people as I've aged, which doesn't always work but whenever someone does talk to me I do my best to be genuine with them and if it turns into a friendship I take it very seriously, often to the point of forming a protective bond with the person, like worrying about their well-being and things like that, whenever I lose someone it hurts me deeply and takes me a long time, often years to recover.

God knows the reason why I was given this, there is some use for it, although I don't think I know what it is, but I consider it a blessing because of how it makes me deal with some situations and makes me look at a much broader perspective on things versus a narrow one.

I apologize if this sounds all over the place. My mind was ablaze with thoughts and I tried getting it out as clearly as I could.
Thank you for your post, it is a blessing to me. My grandson has Asperger's and I worry about how he will do in life. It's nice to hear from someone with your attitude and success.
God Bless You and thank you again.

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Any diagnosis can be a difficult thing initially to cope with. I get that comment a lot when I tell people my son is paralysed from the waist down and my daughter has dwarfism. Now I’m happy to raise awareness of their disabilities but when I first received the diagnoses I cried silently.

Upvote 0