biblicalbro

Child of God
Aug 19, 2014
✟29,047.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm a few months away from my 30th birthday (surreal). Yet I feel like I’m in a life crises. I’m not happy with my life as I am stuck rather than moving forward. Overall, I've been at a crossroads
Lately as 1) I want to do a PhD, 2) I need a job, 3) I want to move out, and 4) I’m looking for a church . Allow me to explain: Last year I graduated from seminary with MDiv yet I haven't been able to find work. However, I'd like to do my PhD. I feel like it's the perfect time to do it as I'm still young, and no wife/kids. However I'm have a 100k loan and still live with my parents. And with not having a job, it has been difficult to consider this next step in my life. M

Nevertheless, I looked into the PhD program and fortunately, annual stipends are given to all students and then some (i.e payment for doing teaching assistants). In other words, they pay you to study so you don't have to! Moreover, an optional 1 year Masters in theology (ThM) program is available to better prepare you for your PhD dissertation. However, the ThM doesn't include a stipend. Plus, I have to learn a new language or 2 in order to even get into the PhD program. It's about 3-5 years, depends on your pace. I definitely wanna do it and finish ASAP.

At the same time, many fears, questions and doubts plague my mind because it's overwhelming..

Will I be able to land a job post PhD ? (I thought of becoming a full time professor). But it’s competitive in terms of finding one as everyone is applying.

Plus I regret not going away to college when I was 18, as I probably would have gained more independence. But back then, I barely graduated high school and was on academic probation in my freshman year of college. I know I can’t change the past but again, I would’ve moved away. I’m just extremely restless in moving out at this point but with no job, I’m stuck….

Since being unemployed, I’ve had a myriad of job rejections, bad new job experiences that ended quickly, and cold feet when some opportunities were presented. I tend to have this fear of failure and inferiority.That aside, my health has been rocky this year so I haven't been able to do much for a time but I’m back now.

I also wish I had cultivated more job experience as mine’s is minimal. Should’ve divided my time between work/school rather than just focus on school. I feel like an idiot for not doing so. Such a pain to land a job!

So why the PhD?
I definitely would love to teach within a seminary but also in the church. I would also love to teach/preach within a church, bridging the gap between church and seminary. Church needs proper discipleship in the Word of God and theology in their walks in Christ. Majority of the time, people are biblically illiterate and theologically deficient as most of today’s preachers water down the message. And it is my burning desire, to equip those wanting to enter ministry and those in the congregation.

I have come to enjoy teaching with the experiences I amassed throughout the years such as Sunday school, small groups, and ESL. Plus with comments about how I can teach. It’s no doubt that it’s a gift that God has provided. I also see it in preaching as well.
It's crazy as to how many confirmations I've had since January about the school I would like to attend. For instance, seeing the name of the school everywhere from stickers to cars, books , papers, and so forth. But then again, perhaps it’s just me as it was a fervent desire. Sometimes our own minds play tricks on us. I haven’t had confirmations lately as opposed to earlier this year. But again, no job. Things just seem out of reach.

Despite my desire for PhD, it has also been a burden/thorn in my side as I still need to make money. It definitely takes my focus off everything else. For instance, I could be doing other things now and make money but if I go back to school next year, I would be limited in doing so. On the flip side, I wouldn’t know what to do with my life if I don’t do it. It’s difficult finding a job as it is and I’m sick and tired of sitting around… Plus it’s best to do it while you’re young as you can start your career sooner. But I still wanna move out. Nevertheless, I’m between a rock and a hard place. No matter what I try to do, I always find myself back to square one.

Church
Lastly, I’m seeking a church. Been becoming reformed but with a continuationist perspective. However, it's been hard as mainly continuationists lean towards extreme charismatic which I do not affiliate myself with. And many reformed churches are cessationists. I’d also appreciate a church that does expository preaching! Been in churches where the Word is not preach, defaulting to bad theology/falsehood instead. Not only would I want to congregate but I would want to cultivate ministry experience such as teaching/preaching. But that too has been difficult to find. Again, I’m between a rock and a hard place.

Questions to consider

• If you got a PhD and how'd you handle it ?(especially if you were in the same situation as me)
    Or if you know someone with a PhD , how’d they handle it?

• If you were in my shoes, what would you do and why? I’d appreciate the input. Even if you didn’t get a PhD

• Can you please keep me in prayer regarding all this? I have been restless for quite some time.

It’s not been an easy journey for me. I do not like being stuck when everyone else is seemingly ahead of me. As if I lack the capacity to carry things out or to get anywhere in life. I feel like I've been in this rut since last year and I would hate if I’m in the same place next year. I’m trying to be as positive/optimistic as possible. But some days (like today) I’m discouraged. Such is my life at the moment.. I’m lost.

A lot to chew on here. But thanks to those who read and respond to this post. God bless you.

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have you thought about being a missionary? You could move out right away. Your degree could be useful. Seems your tone is you weighing your situation and options but God is left out of it as you do not mention prayer or any leading of His hand already on your destiny. Perhaps this is the place you should start from and get others to pray with you.

Upvote 0

biblicalbro

Child of God
Aug 19, 2014
✟29,047.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Have you thought about being a missionary? You could move out right away. Your degree could be useful. Seems your tone is you weighing your situation and options but God is left out of it as you do not mention prayer or any leading of His hand already on your destiny. Perhaps this is the place you should start from and get others to pray with you.

I have been praying, trust me. I would not have gotten this far if not for God. And I don't feel led in missionary work, sorry.

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Get some volunteer time under your belt. You need to visit Nursing Homes, Retirement villages or whatever and get your feet wet. Get out and preach the Word!
Those are your best options because it is where you will learn for sure where God is leading you.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a few months away from my 30th birthday (surreal). Yet I feel like I’m in a life crises. I’m not happy with my life as I am stuck rather than moving forward. Overall, I've been at a crossroads
Lately as 1) I want to do a PhD, 2) I need a job, 3) I want to move out, and 4) I’m looking for a church . Allow me to explain: Last year I graduated from seminary with MDiv yet I haven't been able to find work. However, I'd like to do my PhD. I feel like it's the perfect time to do it as I'm still young, and no wife/kids. However I'm have a 100k loan and still live with my parents. And with not having a job, it has been difficult to consider this next step in my life. M

Nevertheless, I looked into the PhD program and fortunately, annual stipends are given to all students and then some (i.e payment for doing teaching assistants). In other words, they pay you to study so you don't have to! Moreover, an optional 1 year Masters in theology (ThM) program is available to better prepare you for your PhD dissertation. However, the ThM doesn't include a stipend. Plus, I have to learn a new language or 2 in order to even get into the PhD program. It's about 3-5 years, depends on your pace. I definitely wanna do it and finish ASAP.

At the same time, many fears, questions and doubts plague my mind because it's overwhelming..

Will I be able to land a job post PhD ? (I thought of becoming a full time professor). But it’s competitive in terms of finding one as everyone is applying.

Plus I regret not going away to college when I was 18, as I probably would have gained more independence. But back then, I barely graduated high school and was on academic probation in my freshman year of college. I know I can’t change the past but again, I would’ve moved away. I’m just extremely restless in moving out at this point but with no job, I’m stuck….

Since being unemployed, I’ve had a myriad of job rejections, bad new job experiences that ended quickly, and cold feet when some opportunities were presented. I tend to have this fear of failure and inferiority.That aside, my health has been rocky this year so I haven't been able to do much for a time but I’m back now.

I also wish I had cultivated more job experience as mine’s is minimal. Should’ve divided my time between work/school rather than just focus on school. I feel like an idiot for not doing so. Such a pain to land a job!

So why the PhD?
I definitely would love to teach within a seminary but also in the church. I would also love to teach/preach within a church, bridging the gap between church and seminary. Church needs proper discipleship in the Word of God and theology in their walks in Christ. Majority of the time, people are biblically illiterate and theologically deficient as most of today’s preachers water down the message. And it is my burning desire, to equip those wanting to enter ministry and those in the congregation.

I have come to enjoy teaching with the experiences I amassed throughout the years such as Sunday school, small groups, and ESL. Plus with comments about how I can teach. It’s no doubt that it’s a gift that God has provided. I also see it in preaching as well.
It's crazy as to how many confirmations I've had since January about the school I would like to attend. For instance, seeing the name of the school everywhere from stickers to cars, books , papers, and so forth. But then again, perhaps it’s just me as it was a fervent desire. Sometimes our own minds play tricks on us. I haven’t had confirmations lately as opposed to earlier this year. But again, no job. Things just seem out of reach.

Despite my desire for PhD, it has also been a burden/thorn in my side as I still need to make money. It definitely takes my focus off everything else. For instance, I could be doing other things now and make money but if I go back to school next year, I would be limited in doing so. On the flip side, I wouldn’t know what to do with my life if I don’t do it. It’s difficult finding a job as it is and I’m sick and tired of sitting around… Plus it’s best to do it while you’re young as you can start your career sooner. But I still wanna move out. Nevertheless, I’m between a rock and a hard place. No matter what I try to do, I always find myself back to square one.

Church
Lastly, I’m seeking a church. Been becoming reformed but with a continuationist perspective. However, it's been hard as mainly continuationists lean towards extreme charismatic which I do not affiliate myself with. And many reformed churches are cessationists. I’d also appreciate a church that does expository preaching! Been in churches where the Word is not preach, defaulting to bad theology/falsehood instead. Not only would I want to congregate but I would want to cultivate ministry experience such as teaching/preaching. But that too has been difficult to find. Again, I’m between a rock and a hard place.

Questions to consider

• If you got a PhD and how'd you handle it ?(especially if you were in the same situation as me)

• If you were in my shoes, what would you do and why? I’d appreciate the input. Even if you didn’t get a PhD

• Can you please keep me in prayer regarding all this? I have been restless for quite some time.

It’s not been an easy journey for me. I do not like being stuck when everyone else is seemingly ahead of me. As if I lack the capacity to carry things out or to get anywhere in life. I feel like I've been in this rut since last year and I would hate if I’m in the same place next year. I’m trying to be as positive/optimistic as possible. But some days (like today) I’m discouraged. Such is my life at the moment.. I’m lost.

A lot to chew on here. But thanks to those who read and respond to this post. God bless you.
Focus on the good. You have been very blessed if a PHD is within your grasp and you already have a MDiv. You have room and board, more than Jesus had during his ministry. Looking for a church means you are free to roam and find the right fit.

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” (Philippians 4:8)

Knowing Jesus is God and God is love. So Jesus is lord of our lives when love rules our thoughts and actions.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

So why the PhD?

Church

Questions to consider

A diesel mechanic may earn as much a pastor. The training program is much less expensive and shorter. Jesus started as a carpenter with an interest in Biblical studies. He was promoted to pastor as more than 5000 went to hear him preach in a single week.

If you have chosen a church affiliation could you try to get advice from that organization about whether or not you could get hired? Could you find someone with connections to mentor you? When a church hires a pastor they may favor a more experienced married pastor. Given your employment history, I am not sure it is a good idea to double your college debts.

I was reading about people with law degrees a few years ago. Many were not finding jobs. During the 70’s a newspaper did a story about a PHD history major who was shoveling snow in the Patriot’s football stadium as he could not find a job in his field of interest.

Above all seek first the kingdom of God and God’s righteousness. Human counsel lacks God’s depth of understanding.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
A diesel mechanic may earn as much a pastor. The training program is much less expensive and shorter. Jesus started as a carpenter with an interest in Biblical studies. He was promoted to pastor as more than 5000 went to hear him preach in a single week.

If you have chosen a church affiliation could you try to get advice from that organization about whether or not you could get hired? Could you find someone with connections to mentor you? When a church hires a pastor they may favor a more experienced married pastor. Given your employment history, I am not sure it is a good idea to double your college debts.

I was reading about people with law degrees a few years ago. Many were not finding jobs. During the 70’s a newspaper did a story about a PHD history major who was shoveling snow in the Patriot’s football stadium as he could not find a job in his field of interest.

Above all seek first the kingdom of God and God’s righteousness. Human counsel lacks God’s depth of understanding.
Being a diesel mechanic is less stressful I am sure and I believe the pay would be much better, idk?? Preaching would be a great job, if it wasn't for the people.. lol.
I believe the degrees are fine and all, However they do not take the place of a Holy Spirit filled man of God who is full of love and devotion to his congregation.
This is why I mentioned volunteer preaching to find the groove and see where his heart really is. ie: Evangelism, Pastor, Chaplaincy ETC:

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I want to start here because you list it as your "burning desire."

How much ministry experience do you have?

Have you considered developing a class that you can take to churches and offer to provide for free in order to gain experience and fine tune your teaching goals?

The PhD sounds like a long and difficult road. I agree, that now is probably the best time for you to take on the challenge if you feel you can handle it, but it does not resolve your desire to move out, unless you can find some kind of residency program - maybe along with a part-time job?

Church
Lastly, I’m seeking a church. Been becoming reformed but with a continuationist perspective.

Where have you been attending church?

I honestly feel this is something you need to nail down before you go any further. Find a church home where you can volunteer in various teaching positions and where you can connect with a mentor who can guide you in achieving your ultimate goals.

Can you please keep me in prayer regarding all this? I have been restless for quite some time.

I am praying for you!

Blessings!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can't get past the $100,000 in debt.

Yes, you need to whittle down that debt as fast as possible. That's a huge weight and you won't be able to move on with it. Perhaps there is a way to get a job, whittle down debt since you still live at home, and enter a PhD program part time?

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

So why the PhD?

Church

Questions to consider

I don't have much to offer as far as advice, but for money have you considered working for hospice as a Pastor?

They pay okay and it would be a good area, you might be able to start paying down some student loans.

Ministry - try missions. Pastor Paul Washer has that HeartCry Missionary Society.... have you looked into them for anything?

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,514.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You need to get that loan repayed. Thats a heavy load to carry. With your qualifications there must be suitable jobs available. You could then study part time for your phd.

Upvote 0

carp614

Apr 21, 2016
Home
✟29,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm asking questions here, but you don't owe me any answers at all. But I have to say to me something seems off here:

Have you painted yourself into an extremely specific corner?

Is there not a single ministry nitch you could fill furthering the cause of Christ? No place at all where you could be useful? Or is it just that you can't find any that you want?

Your debt level is approaching that of graduates of high end schools entering high income career fields. You are most certainly not entering a high income career field.

In that context, does it really make sense to continue to accumulate even more student debt? I dare say seminary professor salary levels would never approach the income levels required to payoff debt at this level until well into your later years.

Are you overthinking...well...everything?

Listen, I don't mean to offend you. I care for you as a Brother and I pray this has helped you in some way.

Upvote 0

biblicalbro

Child of God
Aug 19, 2014
✟29,047.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Get some volunteer time under your belt. You need to visit Nursing Homes, Retirement villages or whatever and get your feet wet. Get out and preach the Word!
Those are your best options because it is where you will learn for sure where God is leading you.

It's a start. Thanks brother, I appreciate it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

biblicalbro

Child of God
Aug 19, 2014
✟29,047.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't have much to offer as far as advice, but for money have you considered working for hospice as a Pastor?

They pay okay and it would be a good area, you might be able to start paying down some student loans.

Ministry - try missions. Pastor Paul Washer has that HeartCry Missionary Society.... have you looked into them for anything?

Hospice as like a chaplaincy?

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@biblicalbro

It does sound like you're in a crisis. Since you came here looking for advice I'll give you my honest advice. First, you should realize that I'm a huge proponent of getting educated. I have three college degrees myself, and if my employers would reimburse me for tuition I'd be working on my fourth.

That said, you're almost 30; you're living with your parents; you have no job; you owe $100K; you probably don't have any insurance. Imo, you should not be looking to prolong this situation (which you'd be doing if you went for the PhD). I believe your first priority should be to gain independence. Don't let your previous bad decisions dictate that you make more bad decisions. Heading down the PhD track would probably set you back several more years.

My advice therefore is to get a job NOW. Move out of your parents' home. Start paying off some of that $100K debt. Once you're established as a self-sustaining independent person, only then (if at all) should you consider the PhD.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well now... I'm going to encourage you to go for the PhD.
I'm also going to encourage you to get connected to a local
church and connect with more mature believers who can
come alongside you and be of support to you... prayer partners,
advisors/mentors etc.
Good connections go a long way in helping a young man/minister
to get started in the right direction and help him along in his journey
and possibly help find a church that be in need of someone with
your qualifications.
Be in continual prayer about this and see where the LORD leads.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi I was in the psalms today and #90 was powerful and in many ways speaks a prayer for your situation. Moses is speaking of the shortness of life and the scope of being accountable to God. He prayers for the LORD to establish the work of our hands. Here is psalm NKJ
A Prayer of Moses the man of God.
1 Lord, You have been our dwelling place[fn] in all generations.
2 Before the mountains were brought forth,
Or ever You had formed the earth and the world,
Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.
3 You turn man to destruction,
And say, “Return, O children of men.”
4 For a thousand years in Your sight
Are like yesterday when it is past,
And like a watch in the night.
5 You carry them away like a flood;
They are like a sleep.
In the morning they are like grass which grows up:
6 In the morning it flourishes and grows up;
In the evening it is cut down and withers.
7 For we have been consumed by Your anger,
And by Your wrath we are terrified.
8 You have set our iniquities before You,
Our secret sins in the light of Your countenance.
9 For all our days have passed away in Your wrath;
We finish our years like a sigh.
10 The days of our lives are seventy years;
And if by reason of strength they are eighty years,
Yet their boast is only labor and sorrow;
For it is soon cut off, and we fly away.
11 Who knows the power of Your anger?
For as the fear of You, so is Your wrath.
12 So teach us to number our days,
That we may gain a heart of wisdom.
13 Return, O LORD!
How long?
And have compassion on Your servants.
14 Oh, satisfy us early with Your mercy,
That we may rejoice and be glad all our days!
15 Make us glad according to the days in which You have afflicted us,
The years in which we have seen evil.
16 Let Your work appear to Your servants,
And Your glory to their children.
17 And let the beauty of the LORD our God be upon us,
And establish the work of our hands for us;
Yes, establish the work of our hands.

Upvote 0