Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Made this cart for hauling large firewood blocks too far from the road to carry by hand. Works great. Pictured are red oak blocks weighing 40-60 pounds. Easy peazy.

Firewood cart.JPG

Last edited:

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Good idea. Pine makes lousy firewood, btw. I don't very much enjoy turpentine flavored hamburgers, either.

Pine makes for great chimney fires though. :eek:

Poplar is actually one of my favorites.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Poplar is actually one of my favorites.
I can't remember if it's Poplar --maybe it's Birch-- that pops and crackles a lot. Gotta have a screen on it.

You're right about the pine. In the south you cut a pine tree down in the fall, and next year the stump is cut up for 'fat lantern' (lighter sticks), full of dried resin. Will burn just by holding a match to them; great for starting a fire.

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can't remember if it's Poplar --maybe it's Birch-- that pops and crackles a lot. Gotta have a screen on it.

You're right about the pine. In the south you cut a pine tree down in the fall, and next year the stump is cut up for 'fat lantern' (lighter sticks), full of dried resin. Will burn just by holding a match to them; great for starting a fire.

It's also called "fat wood". I buy it in 50 lb. boxes from "Plow and Hearth". Great stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't have the pictures, but I once made a huge one-piece can opener, for cutting metal siding of a building on a farm, can't remember if we were demolishing or adding on or why I had to cut the siding. The contraption had a hinged foot that fell into position with each stroke, to hold the tin next to the blade; so it would push in on the tin while the blade pulled out and the blade didn't bend the tin much, for a nice clean cut.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
It's called "fat wood". I buy it in 50 lb. boxes from "Plow and Hearth". Great stuff.
Yeah, you go the easy route, haha. I'm 65 so now I mostly talk about the outdoor spirit. "I used to" is a favorite phrase.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, you go the easy route, haha. I'm 65 so now I mostly talk about the outdoor spirit. "I used to" is a favorite phrase.

Bah! Young whippersnapper. I'm 81 and still prowling the woods for deer and firewood. Me with bow kill at age 70.

Last kill, 2010.jpg

Reactions: Gary Lee
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I was once assigned to make some discarded old metal bed "headboards" into gates on the boar pens at a swine breeding facility. Since we had metal gate posts (railroad iron) it was simple to weld to, so I invented a way to make both hinge and latch on each side of the gate, so it could open either left or right, by bending long cold roll steel rod for the hinge pin AND handle; pulling the rod up an inch or so by the handle would unpin the hinge making it the latch. And slamming the gate onto the ramps I welded to the post would make the rod fall back down into its place as a hinge. Both sides were then hinges again, which of course means the gate couldn't swing. Pulling up on the handles on both sides, you could remove the gate for repair or replacement. The whole business was done out of reach of the hogs noses.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A Christmas tree, properly dried, makes for a great bonfire starter in the back yard. Woosh!

Last edited:
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Haha
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Made this cart for hauling large firewood blocks too far from the road to carry by hand. Works great. Pictured are red oak blocks weighing 40-60 pounds. Easy peazy.

View attachment 298358

Nice wheels, and a nice handle. I admire your attention to detail, right down to the rubber end cap on the rest post.

I see that the paint is quickly wearing off the handle. You might consider foam handlebar tape for aesthetics and ergonomics.

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nice wheels, and a nice handle. I admire your attention to detail, right down to the rubber end cap on the rest post.

I see that the paint is quickly wearing off the handle. You might consider foam handlebar tape for aesthetics and ergonomics.

You have a great eye for details as well.

I missed a spot while spray painting the handle. I mistakenly tried to touch up the spot too soon and 'lifted' the first coat of paint. I'll repaint it in a few days when it hardens good.

The rubber "cane tip" keeps the post from sinking into the dirt. Also keeps the cart from 'walking away' if parked on a sloping hard surface.

The wheels are the solid type, they'll never go flat.

Here's the big brother cart, modeled after the "kimshi carts" I saw in Korea. I couldn't be without it. It's handier and easier than a wheelbarrow (It now has a rubber cane tip on the post to keep it from walking away). The metal rods sticking up are to keep brush in place and are removable.

Brush cart.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0