My latest attempts to be saved ended in failure (as they all do)

Bob8102

Nov 9, 2019
Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Last night and today have seen more repeated attempts on my part to be saved. This morning, after one of them, in which I temporarily thought I was saved, I called a Christian friend and let him know. Now, he said he knew someone who has doubted their salvation for years, who finally came to the conclusion he was saved, but just had to keep making sure that he was making Jesus lord of his life. I said, that's similar to what just happened with me. Starting yesterday, I was concerning myself with walking not in the flesh, but in the Spirit. The attempt to do this led to repeated conclusions I am not saved. But, I told him, I was sure I was saved now, and just had to commit to making sure I'm walking in the Spirit. After that phone call, I decided to do a set of prayers. In the middle of those prayers, I became befuddled again about knowing whether I was walking in the Spirit, not in the flesh. Afterward, I became even more befuddled about that, as I contemplated what to do next. Two or three times, I came up with a plan to take care of some duties/tasks that were waiting to be done. But I would start to move on that, then wonder about the Spirit vs. the flesh thing again. I realized I could not tell the difference between walking in the flesh and walking in the Spirit. This then led me to doubt I'm saved. At one point, I started again to commit to carrying out some of those tasks, then immediately thought, "What if I am doing these tasks, while not saved?" Salvation at the moment is more important than any task at the moment.

On another website about OCD and salvation, I found the following. I can totally relate to this woman:

"i think i may have scrupulosity but I also fear that in truly not saved. I have given up. my “walk” with God has been failure after failure. in 2011 when I asked to be saved after hearing the gospel, i tried to move forward and live for God. out of nowhere I started doubting God’s existence, then the crucifixion of Christ and the resurrection. after those doubts faded I started having intrusive thoughts which I didn’t know where intrusive at the time. then I started questioning if I was really saved and i had numerous triggers for that in my life, such as a friend who was in the church of Christ and believed that was the only true church and all other denominations were false and will go to help. I had my own sins and failures, fear of witnessing to others about the gospel, lack of,the inner witness of the Holy Spirit, lacking the fruit of the Spirit that I saw in other christians. I eventually went into a severe depression with suicidal ideation. my “walk” with God has been falling, getting back up, then the doubts of if im saved return, i worry about my behavior, lack of growth, and,I fall into depression. the,cycle has repeated itself. im at the point where I have given up. the bible says that a true believer will continue in the faith. I guess I see that im not a true beliver. i see no heart change, its like im trying to live for God in my own strength. I honestly feel like it’s not worth it, ive been reaching out to God since 2011, and have only experienced his silence, depression, being misunderstood.,its not worth fighting for, i hate my life, i hate who I am. I don’t know if I have scrupulosity or if God has allowed me to keep failing to show me I really don’t belong to Him. I’ve done all I could by asking to be saved every day, multiple times, asking for more faith, being honest with God and telling him everything I wrote here. there’s nothing I can do except have faith, but Im afraid. I dont want to tell my self in saved when Im really not"

She and other OCD people write things like this, and I feel I'm in their shoes!

Reactions: John42

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last night and today have seen more repeated attempts on my part to be saved.

You were saved back when when Jesus died on the cross.
There is nothing more to be done. Whatever you do, whatever planning,
won't result in Jesus being more dead, or him being more forgiving.

John 19:30
When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If you believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, you are saved.

There are no other conditions.

Now, there are certain impacts the real belief will have on your life, but its something you will develop or get after you are saved, not to be saved.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You can't do anything to be saved except accept the gift, believe as mentioned above.. But you will be changed, it happens to us and all we do is respond. Your doubts are self generated, the works you want to do are self generated too, rather placed on your heart by the Spirit. You need to learn some foundational truths, true information not your own thinking will set you free.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
People who doubt their salvation likely don't have it. It isn't based on human perfection. If in doubt, study the Bible instead of listening to everyone around you.
Bible Verse written that we might have hope.jpg

Upvote 0

Pam.23

1 Peter 3.15
Mar 25, 2020
São Paulo
✟7,803.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course it is worth wondering whether you have been saved or not. But once you have declared that Jesus is your savior, no efforts but His at the cross should be made. Now you can rejoice and rest in this truth instead. And if you're afraid of being walking on the flesh, the Holy Spirit will certainly let you know.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My latest attempts to be saved ended in failure (as they all do)

Mark 10:26-27 (KJV) And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved? And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Just live your life as best you can by the Lord’s commandments because it is by that we are saved by grace through faith ( Ephesians 2:8-10 ). It is by that we confess to the Lord & that He was resurrected for our salvation ( Romans 10:9-13 ).

The Lord calls us to keep His commandments ( see Matthew 22:36-40, Matthew 7:1-12, Matthew 19:16-19, Romans 13:8-10 etc. ). We live much of this by charity & prayer ( Matthew 6:1-15 ). The Lord says if we love Him, we will keep His commandments ( John 14:15-18). By this the Lord will ask the Father to have the Holy Spirit Who proceeds from the Father ( John 15:26 ) guide your conscience. Remember that while the Holy Spirit is our Comforter, we may not always feel comfortable ( John 16:1-15 ).

Upvote 0

Porpoise

Aug 8, 2018
United States
✟70,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0